Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Zatanna 'The Mistress of Magic' Appreciation Thread

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So glad this wasn't made yet.

Welcome to the thread where we show love to the Mistress of Magic!

"The world is a scary place. If I can show a friendlier side of magic then it benefits everyone. Mystic or mortal."

Zatanna #1 (2011)

2311367-zatanna.jpg

BANNED

Emosewa.

I actually have the Hawkman issue at home where she first appears.

Recommendation's Are Welcome

Now in image format!

Last edited by John Venus; 05-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Recommendation's Are Welcome

Now in image format!

You forgot to add that Identity Crisis sort of tarnish Zantanna's character and her relationship with the JLA.

Hey guys zatanna is not getting enough panel time in the new52. Would you guys like her to have a second tittle, if so then what?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powerwing View Post
    Hey guys zatanna is not getting enough panel time in the new52. Would you guys like her to have a second tittle, if so then what?
    Solo title. Hands down. She deserves it.

If I were writing it? I'd pretty much pick up where Paul Dini left off pre-Flashpoint: having her deal with supernatural crimes and battling supernatural threats from other worlds.

That series was pure gold to me. One of the few books to which I eagerly looked forward every month. And there's no reason at all why Zee couldn't have that yet again in the New 52.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    You forgot to add that Identity Crisis sort of tarnish Zantanna's character and her relationship with the JLA.
    Hey, I already said it's not a compulsory read and tried to place it as far below as I can.

It's a Recommendation List not a review so I have to at least give the impression of being a neutral party.

Quote Originally Posted by powerwing View Post
    Like others have said, she needs a solo title.

We need Dini back or may be another writer who will stick to what he was trying to build with the character. Zatanna should be DC's answer to Marvel's She Hulk and Dr. Strange. I don't want YJ Zatanna or JLD Zatanna: I want an adult Zatanna who balances between being a stage performer and a superhero who is the go-to-person for any magical crisis plus a full fledged member of the JL. There is something that can be done with the idea that she is one of the few magical characters who isn't constantly trying to find her marbles. I want writers who build on what has come before and tell a story incorporating the best aspects of the character.

For a writer, I think it would be interesting to see a female writer take a crack at the character again. A female artist would be nice too.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I love Zee!

She is one of the best characters in the DCU. She's fun, likable, and versatile. You can tell almost any kind of story with her, and I really hope that she gets to shine bright in Justice League Dark now that Constantine has left.

I also really hope that DC is done with portraying Zee as pretty much just "Constantine's girlfriend." I hope to never see that relationship again. Zatanna is a good woman who deserves better than Constantine. She's also a great character in her own right and she doesn't NEED to be attached to ANY other character.

So, yeah. Love Zee. I hope she gets another ongoing sometime soon.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I love Zee!

She is one of the best characters in the DCU. She's fun, likable, and versatile. You can tell almost any kind of story with her, and I really hope that she gets to shine bright in Justice League Dark now that Constantine has left.

I also really hope that DC is done with portraying Zee as pretty much just "Constantine's girlfriend." I hope to never see that relationship again. Zatanna is a good woman who deserves better than Constantine. She's also a great character in her own right and she doesn't NEED to be attached to ANY other character.

I agree. I haven't read all of Justice League Dark yet but from the little I read, I dislike Zatanna being portrayed as just Constantine's girlfriend.

I think it's because folks aren't aware of all the great Zatanna stories which focus on her and develop her as her own character. She has a world of her own beyond just her and her father. Hence why I started the Reading List in order to educate more people about her.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I agree. I haven't read all of Justice League Dark yet but from the little I read, I dislike Zatanna being portrayed as just Constantine's girlfriend.

I think it's because folks aren't aware of all the great Zatanna stories which focus on her and develop her as her own character. She has a world of her own beyond just her and her father. Hence why I started the Reading List in order to educate more people about her.
    Yeah, the good news is that Constantine is gone from JLD now, and Zatanna is their new team leader. So hopefully she'll be getting a lot more time in the sun.

As to your reading list? It depresses me to know that I've only collected the Dini ongoing. Everything else? I'll have to start hunting.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member

So is anyone going to pick up the Black Canary/Zatanna OGN that's coming out soon? Also, I hope that she appears in the Constantine TV show at some point.

Yeah, the good news is that Constantine is gone from JLD now, and Zatanna is their new team leader. So hopefully she'll be getting a lot more time in the sun.

As to your reading list? It depresses me to know that I've only collected the Dini ongoing. Everything else? I'll have to start hunting.
    We'll see.

I recommend starting with the 1993 mini series and the 1987 Special. Zatanna's Search is collected as 'JLA: Zatanna's Search' but I don't know if that's still in print. E-bay and Comixology are your best friends here.

Fantastic Member

I love Zee!

So no BatZat?

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    So no BatZat?
    I like the idea of them having been childhood friends in the past and maybe even dated for a while but aren't compatible for a relationship with each other in the present day as adults with very busy time schedules.

Here is a crazy odd couple:

Zatanna and Tony Stark!

http://billwalko.deviantart.com/art/...uple-339946436