Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    So which of Superman's New 52 adventures you guys think were removed from continuity? It's obvious that some happened since we see Supes fighting Neil Quinn and Oracle shows up too, which implies that at least H'el on Earth happened, New Super-Man also mention Doomsday virus, but pre-Flashpoint Doomsday is still there, so maybe there are two of them? Or maybe pre-flashpoint Doomsday has that virus now? Then again, New Super-Man also references Final days of Superman directly and mentions the Solar Flare as one of Superman's powers, and that's after Superman reborn (At least I haven't seen any reference to him having that power now)...

So, his relationship with Wonder Woman, Truth and his New 52 origins are obviously out, and if Final days of Superman happened, it obviously didn't end up with him dying, anything else?

Also any hints on what happened with Faora? When Zod is introduced he was trying to rescue her from the phantom zone in New 52, but in Rebirth he rescues Ursa and Lor-Zod instead and no mentions of Faora, is she just retconned out in favor of Ursa? Or is Zod a two timing asshole ?
    The "Greatest Hits" history presented in the Superman Reborn wrap-up storyarc left everything vague enough that fans can fill in the blanks however they please for the time being.

If you'd like, you can squeeze in as much or as little of the New 52 adventures as you want. Truth could still have taken place with a few changes, because you still have Mr. Myx there to restore Clark's secret ID. Even most of the Superman/Wonder Woman stuff can fit if you want it to, given that Clark & Diana are still established to be best friends, all you have to do is ignore the kissy bits

Or, you can ignore all of it. It's up to you. I, personally, include a lot of it and ignore all the garbage from not only the New 52 era, but the Pre-Flashpoint era as well.

Basically, all you need to know is that Superman first appeared many years ago, met Lois Lane, fell in love with her, fought a bunch of bad guys, died defeating Doomsday, came back to life, married her, had Jon, lived in Hamilton for a few years while commuting to Daily Planet, and have now returned to Metropolis full-time.

Any other relevant details will be brought up if they are necessary. Otherwise, the past will left pleasantly vague so that fans can fill it in however they please.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The broad strokes of Final Crisis didn't involve Scott or Barda, so why would that be a problem?
    Didn't Shilo Norman have a big part in that event? You don't get even have Shilo Norman as Mr. Miracle if not for Scott and Barda. Anyway, it is probably the case that Rebirth made it so that Scott and Barda do have a history with the League yet again. We did see their stuff in the trophy room.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Didn't Shilo Norman have a big part in that event? You don't get even have Shilo Norman as Mr. Miracle if not for Scott and Barda. Anyway, it is probably the case that Rebirth made it so that Scott and Barda do have a history with the League yet again. We did see their stuff in the trophy room.
    Yeah, that's my thinking as well.

Shilo Norman played a big part of Seven Soldiers, which served as a prologue to Final Crisis, but he didn't play any major role in Final Crisis itself. You could remove Shilo Norman and Seven Soldiers from Final Crisis and the story would still work, just not as well. That said, I am pretty sure Seven Soldiers still took place, because several characters from it continued on into the New 52, like Frankenstein, and the girl Shining Knight (although her backstory was significantly altered so that she was actually from Camelot, not the proto-Camelot that Morrison came up with in order to not invalidate the original male Shining Knight)

Incredible Member

Does the Dick and Donna Justice League still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    I don't believe so, no. At least I have seen no evidence of it whatsoever.

As I've said before, I think the endgame for all of this is a sort of "Greatest Hits" version of DCU history, with all the highlights canonized while all the duds are conveniently unmentioned. Given how little love James Robinson's tenure on Justice League got at the time, and how poorly it continues to be viewed now, I think it's unlikely to ever be brought up again.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    Probably not, which is a great pity as despite it's flaws it had the potential to be one of the best line-ups in terms forward-looking storytelling.

The "Greatest Hits" history presented in the Superman Reborn wrap-up storyarc left everything vague enough that fans can fill in the blanks however they please for the time being.

If you'd like, you can squeeze in as much or as little of the New 52 adventures as you want. Truth could still have taken place with a few changes, because you still have Mr. Myx there to restore Clark's secret ID. Even most of the Superman/Wonder Woman stuff can fit if you want it to, given that Clark & Diana are still established to be best friends, all you have to do is ignore the kissy bits

Or, you can ignore all of it. It's up to you. I, personally, include a lot of it and ignore all the garbage from not only the New 52 era, but the Pre-Flashpoint era as well.

Basically, all you need to know is that Superman first appeared many years ago, met Lois Lane, fell in love with her, fought a bunch of bad guys, died defeating Doomsday, came back to life, married her, had Jon, lived in Hamilton for a few years while commuting to Daily Planet, and have now returned to Metropolis full-time.

Any other relevant details will be brought up if they are necessary. Otherwise, the past will left pleasantly vague so that fans can fill it in however they please.
    Yeah, I know this is the current state of the his story right now, I'm just wondering which of Supes' New 52 stories are just so unfitting they couldn't be canon right now (Not without huge changes at least), like for example, Post Crisis' Last Son and by extension, New Krypton, both couldn't have happened since the version of Zod being used is New 52's, who escaped from the Phantom Zone in a different way, and he's a good father, so Lor-Zod is on his side now, Zor-El being a Cyborg Superman and Alura being actualy dead, among other stuff I probably forgot, so I'm just wondering which stories would be similarly unfitting in canon because of really big contradictions.

Then again, I'm just assuming DC would think that much about canon, after all, they kept Linda being canon while Matrix was removed from continuity after Infinite Crisis, and as far as I'm aware, Linda needed Matrix to become Supergirl...

Yeah, I know this is the current state of the his story right now, I'm just wondering which of Supes' New 52 stories are just so unfitting they couldn't be canon right now (Not without huge changes at least), like for example, Post Crisis' Last Son and by extension, New Krypton, both couldn't have happened since the version of Zod being used is New 52's, who escaped from the Phantom Zone in a different way, and he's a good father, so Lor-Zod is on his side now, Zor-El being a Cyborg Superman and Alura being actualy dead, among other stuff I probably forgot, so I'm just wondering which stories would be similarly unfitting in canon because of really big contradictions.
    Nothing from Superman's past stories will have happened exactly the same, there's always going to have to be tweaks made here and there to make it fit with modern continuity.

Last Son could certainly fit into the Superman Reborn history, but with a few changes here and there. The current Zod is not all that different from previous Zods, and Lor-Zod's heel turn could also be explained away.

And the latest issue of Detective Comics definitively puts in the final nail in the coffin of Didio's dumbass idea that Tim Drake was never Robin, but was always called "Red Robin". It also restores his original origin, banishing forever his ill-advised New 52 backstory.

Good.

Really? Finally!

I'm so happy because I felt Tim Drake's original origin was one of the best and I LOVE how Tim was very clever in exposing Batman's identity. One of my favourite stories

Nothing from Superman's past stories will have happened exactly the same, there's always going to have to be tweaks made here and there to make it fit with modern continuity.

Last Son could certainly fit into the Superman Reborn history, but with a few changes here and there. The current Zod is not all that different from previous Zods, and Lor-Zod's heel turn could also be explained away.
    Last Son being adapted would be weird, since Zod being a good parent is the only different between his post crisis and New 52/Rebirth version, for it to happen they'd need to make Zod a shit parent again, and it'd be weird with Lor-Zod being a good guy, then bad guy afterwards (Unless he was just pretending), I don't think Last Son is good enough to be forced into continuity, specialy with those changes Zod had, if DC wants to make Lor-Zod a good guy again, they can always do that once Zod returns from that New Krypton he made.

Anyway, are Tim's parents back to being alive by any chance? I'm not a Tim expert, but I think at the very least his father was still alive until Identity Crisis, and I don't know about New 52 version of his story, but since the original version is back, any chances his parents/father are/is still alive?

Last Son being adapted would be weird, since Zod being a good parent is the only different between his post crisis and New 52/Rebirth version, for it to happen they'd need to make Zod a shit parent again, and it'd be weird with Lor-Zod being a good guy, then bad guy afterwards (Unless he was just pretending), I don't think Last Son is good enough to be forced into continuity, specialy with those changes Zod had, if DC wants to make Lor-Zod a good guy again, they can always do that once Zod returns from that New Krypton he made.

Anyway, are Tim's parents back to being alive by any chance? I'm not a Tim expert, but I think at the very least his father was still alive until Identity Crisis, and I don't know about New 52 version of his story, but since the original version is back, any chances his parents/father are/is still alive?
    We've only got the preview of the latest Detective Comics to go on so far, but I would suspect that Tim's backstory is going back to whatever Status Quo it had prior to Flashpoint, which would likely leave Tim's dad still deceased, but anything is possible. I mean, if Ted Kord is back from the dead, who's to say who else is back...

So, that new issue of Detective Comics definitively restored Tim Drake's 1990 origin, but with a few tweaks I was not expecting. While they retconned his original costume to the updated outfit he's wearing now, minus the second "R" in his logo (definitively tossing out the idea that he was always Red Robin), in the background of that scene is the real shocker--the original Dick Grayson costume in all its short-shorts, yellow caped, pixie boots ridiculousness.

I honestly was not expecting that costume to come back into continuity as anything more that sly winks and homages like we saw in the evil Robins from Nightwing and Metal. Like Superman's red trunks, I assumed they'd quietly shuffle off to limbo that silly, blatantly impractical and unsafe costume for a non-superpowered child to wear, but, nope, there it is.

What does this mean for the Post-Doomsday Clock timeline? I have no idea. The most recent Justice League of America doubled-down on the idea of history in a state of flux and constantly being rewritten, so it's possible this is just another example of that, and Dick Grayson will be wearing a somewhat less ridiculous outfit in his earliest days as Robin, but it also seems plausible that DC is going to throw up their hands and fully embrace their history, regardless of how silly or implausible it may be.

The upside of all this is that it means that the New 52 eyesore they came up with for Robin's first costume is no longer his original outfit.

Robin 1.jpgRobin 2.jpgRobin 3.jpg

BANNED

He still kinda has that suit in the flashbacks of Batgirl' s book. Maybe Duck did have the classic outfit for awhile before Bruce Upgraded him to the New 52 version later on. That's what I believe anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    He still kinda has that suit in the flashbacks of Batgirl' s book. Maybe Duck did have the classic outfit for awhile before Bruce Upgraded him to the New 52 version later on. That's what I believe anyway.
    He was also wearing the Nu52 suit in that crappy Titans/Teen Titans/Deathstroke crossover, so he certainly wore it, but it seems his first costume has gone back to the original pixie boots one.