Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lost In Space Cartoon...

When I was a kid I loved the Lost In Space Robot... too bad a cartoon version never got off the ground. If anything screamed to be made into a cartoon, it's Lost In Space!!!

Endeavor to persevere.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There is a new live action version coming to Netflix next year. They even cast Parker Posey as Doctor Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There is a new live action version coming to Netflix next year. They even cast Parker Posey as Doctor Smith.
    Seems like we have been hearing about it for a while now.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    They have been kicking it around since 2014 but Netflix finally went to series with it ordering 10 episodes which are supposed to premire sometime next year. They have cast all the main characters including Toby Stephens from Black Sails as John Robinson and Molly Parker from Deadwood and House of Cards as Maureen Robinson.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Lost in Space was a show that became successful by accident and was really a product of its time and place. Any attempt to remake it will be eye-roll material. And not the smiley eye-rolling that the original series inspired. Frowny eye-rolling.

I Hope it will be more of a sci-fi show than a comedy or parody of the original.

I would also enjoy new episodes rather than just remake of original episodes, although I very much enjoyed the originals.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

They tried doing the "straight sci-fi" thing with the 1998 movie. Didn't work.

In fact, they tried doing straight sci-fi originally with the TV show. Didn't work there either.

A huge part (most) of the show's appeal depended on that low-budget approach you could get away with in the 60's... "hey, we've got $35 and a pot of coffee, let's make some sci-fi! Everybody go home tonight and see if there's anything lying around your basement we might be able to use as a prop."

Lol, true, true!

Now I just really want to hear Parker Posey say "The Pain, the Pain."

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

In fact, they tried doing straight sci-fi originally with the TV show. Didn't work there either.

A huge part (most) of the show's appeal depended on that low-budget approach you could get away with in the 60's... "hey, we've got $35 and a pot of coffee, let's make some sci-fi! Everybody go home tonight and see if there's anything lying around your basement we might be able to use as a prop."
    They actually used some of the same sets, props and monster costumes on both "Lost In Space" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I tried watching it on Netflix. Major West is almost like a parody of tough guy action heroes, which *severely* undercut its attempts at straight sci-fi with more cheese than a dairy farm. "Look at us! We're dark and edgy and grown up!" The movie is a series of terrible, terrible ideas.

It has only two redeeming values -- putting the Robinsons in truly alien environments and situations that they'd never conceive in the 60s, and bringing back Dick Tufeld to reprise the role of the Robot. But that's about it. Even their simple holographic projections of floating heads were grotesque.

Mighty Member

There was an animated LIS by Hanna-Barbera back in the 70's, one of the Saturday Morning Movies. It had only Professor Robinson, Will, Dr Smith and The Robot. Jonathan Harris returned as Smith, but Idon't know about Guy Williams, Bill Mumy and Robert May. It's probably on Youtube.

All I know is Penny better be hot. After lacy chabert and one of the von trap sisters she has a lot to live up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Netflix tends to play these things close to the vest, keeping a tight lid on filming and only doing promotion a month or two before the release.

Parker Posey, to me, is an inspired choice for Smith (see he role in the Josie and the Pussycats movie for proof!)

After looking at this new Netflix series info online, I would still rather have the Lost In Space - The Animated Series that was pitched by Scott O'Brien... it looks so fun.
    I do not think I would like this new Netflix series very much (making Dr. Smith a woman?).

Oh well back to prepping my B9 Robot 3D model for 3D printing!!! What a GREAT time to be alive!!!

B9 8_17_17.jpg
    Endeavor to persevere.