Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Peter David Interview On Ben and Kaine

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I hope PAD doesn't make Kaine do something horrible enough that we have no "choice" but to be on Ben's side. Conversely, I'm hoping that PAD does work on redeeming Ben's character and bringing him back from the edge he went over, but not at Kaine's expense. Succinctly, I want the Scarlet Spiders to come to grips with who they are and were in relation to themselves and each other and make some semblance of peace that frees them both from the cycle of violence and animosity and lets them move on to become better people.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

iMan 42s

I sincerely hope this isn't t at Kaine's expense.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter David
    All I’ll say is that there is no way you will get to the last page of issue #7 and not be on Ben’s side.
    Wait, so PD's going to somehow undo Ben27's unpleasant personality, murderous urges, attempted genocide and threats of violence (not to mention what amounted to a mugging in itself) towards an innocent woman?

Seems like a big ask for one issue. Unless we're getting the real Ben out of a hibernation pod, and sadly that seems unlikely.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I hope PAD doesn't make Kaine do something horrible enough that we have no "choice" but to be on Ben's side. Conversely, I'm hoping that PAD does work on redeeming Ben's character and bringing him back from the edge he went over, but not at Kaine's expense. Succinctly, I want the Scarlet Spiders to come to grips with who they are and were in relation to themselves and each other and make some semblance of peace that frees them both from the cycle of violence and animosity and lets them move on to become better people.
    Completely agree with this. It would be awesome to see Ben and Kaine be on the same side someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Wait, so PD's going to somehow undo Ben27's unpleasant personality, murderous urges, attempted genocide and threats of violence (not to mention what amounted to a mugging in itself) towards an innocent woman?

Seems like a big ask for one issue. Unless we're getting the real Ben out of a hibernation pod, and sadly that seems unlikely.
    I'm guessing that Ben cures Cassandra's daughter.

Incredible Member

Yep that one is pretty hard for me to believe but hey I guess we'll see what PAD has up his sleeve.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    I'm guessing that Ben cures Cassandra's daughter.

You're probably right but imho it's not like his interest in Cassandra or her daughter is even remotely altruistic. If he didn't think he could help his own situation out (his current degeneration ailment) by helping Cassandra & her daughter do you think he'd even give them a second thought

I most certainly don't.

BANNED

Completely agree with this. It would be awesome to see Ben and Kaine be on the same side someday.
    Just some random thoughts here I would like to share. I hope if Kaine is leaving the book it's only temporary and not permanent...and if it is I hope Marvel decides to give Kaine his own book too. That would be something cool...Ben and Kaine both having their own books, even though I prefer them being together in the same book personally I could be cool with Marvel deciding to separate them into their own books though. I would easily buy both!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I sincerely hope this isn't t at Kaine's expense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Just some random thoughts here I would like to share. I hope if Kaine is leaving the book it's only temporary and not permanent...and if it is I hope Marvel decides to give Kaine his own book too. That would be something cool...Ben and Kaine both having their own books, even though I prefer them being together in the same book personally I could be cool with Marvel deciding to separate them into their own books though. I would easily buy both!
    I agree. While I can understand the two coming to blows I feel Kaine has made far too much progress to be reverted back to villain status.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

I like what PAD had to say. Nothing earth-shattering of course, but good stuff. Buy Scarlet Spider! Keep non-terrible Marvel Comics alive! =)
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    I like what PAD had to say. Nothing earth-shattering of course, but good stuff. Buy Scarlet Spider! Keep non-terrible Marvel Comics alive! =)
    The thing is, one person's non-terrible is another person's worst book ever.

The thing with Scarlet Spider is that it's a very niche interest book right now. A lot of Ben's original fanbase have been alienated by.. well, by the absence of any Ben Reilly that we recognise. Then there's the people who weren't fans of him in the first place, given his presence in a controversial period in Spider-Man's history. So who does that leave? The Ben fans that are cool with him being someone completely different... The curious fans who never really knew him in the first place so this Ben is just as valid as the real one... And just general fans of PD.

Maybe whatever PD has got coming up might change a few opinions and bring some new people on board - or even at least keep the book at it's current sales levels. But as I said above, that seems like a big ask. Thing is, it's not going to be as simple as NotBen suddenly doing a few good things. There needs to be some some sense that this is Ben Reilly. Sure, a newly cloned, died 27 times Ben Reilly maybe - but still Ben Reilly. Because as of now, he hasn't made even a fleeting appearance in this book.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Non-terrible is not nearly good enough for me to even read it in the store for free. I like actually good.

unconvincing/rushed heel turns aren't exactly uncommon for superheroes and villains. it seems like that issue will be the start of a change rather the end of it.
    troo fan or death

Spectacular Member

Here's another PD interview about the book:

https://news.marvel.com/comics/72161...carlet-spider/