Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Easy, sure.
    Exciting? I'm not seeing it. What kind of Star Wars film sticks to mostly just one planet, and one we've already seen way too much off at that?
    The one following the hermit that's there for the sole purpose of looking after the kid that doesn't leave the planet until Star Wars.

Here's other kinds of Star Wars movie that could stay on just Tatooine. A more western focused Star Wars movie. A Star Wars that want to play around with post-apocalyptic stuff like Mad Max, Cherry 2000, A Boy and His Dog, and numerous other things. A Star Wars movie that wants to fuck around with the weird gangster scene that's on the planet. Hell, they could do a whole weird Quest for Fire kind of movie about Tusken Raiders hunting a Krayt Dragon...that'd probably be more interesting and crazy than anything they're going to do.

Tatooine is the Star Wars planet that's so nice they made it twice.

And this is Obi-Wan Kenobi. I somehow do not see him staying put on Tatooine for 20 years. He's the second most undisciplined Jedi that ever Jedied.
    Yeah, it's Obi-Wan Kenobi, a character that moved to Tatooine so he could secretly watch over the son of Darth Vader. I don't want to find out that Ol' Ben Kenobi was running around the galaxy having adventures while he and Luke were in hiding. He stayed on Tatooine for years, and the first time he left it killed him.

Has there been any official confirmation of this yet? I haven't seen anything from Starwars.com

Although it's a bit past due for a spin-off announcement, I think Kathleeen Kennedy said they'd announce something in June, but I think that got slightly derailed by the Han Solo shake up.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Most of the reports I've seen are that they're rumors, not facts yet. It's seems like it could be true, but on the other hand, there was a time when the rumor that a Boba Fett movie was coming and that has pretty much fizzled out.

On further thought, sure it would be possible to do a Star Wars film on just one planet. Even one so overused as Tatooine. But, I don't think it would be a great idea and I don't think they're beholden to establish that Obi-Wan never not once, set foot off the planet from ROTS to ANH. A good script could easily make a reason for him to leave for a short time then come right back. That wouldn't hurt the general idea that he's watched Luke all his life.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Personally, I wouldn't be averse to a film about that time Obi-Wan first ran into Mandalorians, way before the Clone Wars, and fell in love with one of their high nobles.
    Screw Tatooine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    The one following the hermit that's there for the sole purpose of looking after the kid that doesn't leave the planet until Star Wars.
    Yeah, totally not buying that that's all he did.

Here's other kinds of Star Wars movie that could stay on just Tatooine. A more western focused Star Wars movie. A Star Wars that want to play around with post-apocalyptic stuff like Mad Max, Cherry 2000, A Boy and His Dog, and numerous other things. A Star Wars movie that wants to fuck around with the weird gangster scene that's on the planet. Hell, they could do a whole weird Quest for Fire kind of movie about Tusken Raiders hunting a Krayt Dragon...that'd probably be more interesting and crazy than anything they're going to do.
    Ehm... Those are not kinds of Star Wars films.
    Except the western-focused one, which they already made several times. And tends to use Western tropes but not Western iconography.

Yeah, it's Obi-Wan Kenobi, a character that moved to Tatooine so he could secretly watch over the son of Darth Vader. I don't want to find out that Ol' Ben Kenobi was running around the galaxy having adventures while he and Luke were in hiding. He stayed on Tatooine for years, and the first time he left it killed him.
    And he kept the name Luke Skywalker, and lets him live with Darth Vader's relatives, which should tell you a thing or two or three about how much thought and dedication old Obi put into that task.

I think that very few outside of the Jedi Order knew the significance of the Skywalker name, so "Luke Skywalker" would really only register on the radars of Vader and the Emperor (who didn't even know he existed anyway). On Tatooine, Luke may have been known as the kid of a one-time child pod-racer by some local racing enthusiasts, but that's about it. In a galaxy with likely trillions of inhabitants, Luke probably could have lived his entire life in obscurity on Tatooine had he maintained a low profile--but noooo, he had to leave and go blow up the Death Star.

Kids...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I think that very few outside of the Jedi Order knew the significance of the Skywalker name, so "Luke Skywalker" would really only register on the radars of Vader and the Emperor (who didn't even know he existed anyway).
    But Palpatine and Vader are specifically the people he's hiding from, two people who have several galaxy-wide intelligence agencies working for them. So why use a name they will recognise instantly if they were to ever look into that direction?
    I will hide the kid from Darth Vader, on his home planet,with his family, without even bothering to use a fake name.
    "Skywalker" is still the name of one of the most famous generals of the clone wars. If Jabba the Hutt would ever find out that there's a Skywalker of the right age living right under his nose, with the family of the famous general Skywalker, he'd have the Empire there in a heart beat.

Really, that this worked at all seriously calls into question the Siths' ability to tie their own shoe laces.
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-20-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Amazing Member

But Palpatine and Vader are specifically the people he's hiding from, two people who have several galaxy-wide intelligence agencies working for them. So why use a name they will recognise instantly if they were to ever look into that direction?
    I will hide the kid from Darth Vader, on his home planet,with his family, without even bothering to use a fake name.
    "Skywalker" is still the name of one of the most famous generals of the clone wars. If Jabba the Hutt would ever find out that there's a Skywalker of the right age living right under his nose, with the family of the famous general Skywalker, he'd have the Empire there in a heart beat.

Really, that this worked at all seriously calls into question the Siths' ability to tie their own shoe laces.
    Well, Star War had no sequels planned when it was made, AND Luke wasn't intended to be Vader's son when it was made, AND Vader wasn't Anakin Skywalker when the film was made, so we have to cut it some slack.The greater story of SW didn't happen until it was a box office success. Hiding Luke and not changing his name is something we have to shrug off as none of the relationships were planned in RL. Luke being hot for his "sister?" She wasn't his sister until ROTJ was written. That one is a little more forgivable story-wise if not a bit gross.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grind View Post
    Well, Star War had no sequels planned when it was made,
    This is not true. The plan was always to make more films if the first one was succcesfull.

AND Luke wasn't intended to be Vader's son when it was made, AND Vader wasn't Anakin Skywalker...
    And this is not relevant, because if we go by the original version that Vader and Anakin were separate people, they still knew each other, and Luke would still have been the so of a famous Jedi Knight, making him very interesting to Vader and the Emperor. Going by nothing more than what is in what we now call Episode 4.

Amazing Member

Here we go. Court is in session. Why is this the only thread on this site where you have to have a pile of reference material to back up an opinion? This is a fan site, it should be fun, not threatening. If we were in a coffee shop talking face to face it wouldn't be like this.

This is not true. The plan was always to make more films if the first one was succcesfull.
    There's a difference between hoping for something and planning for something. The script was not yet written. I hope to win the lottery but I don't plan on winning. I don't already have a financial adviser hired nor do I know what banks the money will go into or what investments I will make, etc.

And this is not relevant, because if we go by the original version that Vader and Anakin were separate people, they still knew each other, and Luke would still have been the so of a famous Jedi Knight, making him very interesting to Vader and the Emperor. Going by nothing more than what is in what we now call Episode 4.
    Even still, the son of a Jedi living no where with no one to train him would be someone to keep on your radar. The son of Darth Vader would be someone to fear, kill or convert to the Dark Side. There's a difference.

Perhaps the Obi Wan movie could clarify the whole Skywalker name thing. These spin off movies are basicly EU material anyway. One of the fun things about the EU was how gaffes were fixed.

I also don't think an Obi Wan movie would be limited to one planet. I'm sure the Empire would figure into it somehow and any other antagonist could come from off world. Obi Wan may not go anywhere himself, but he did seem to know how and where to hire himself a ship in ANH. I don't see alot of lightsaber action though if Obi Wan is keeping a low profile.

They would have to know that there was a Skywalker out there first. For all Vader and Palpatine knew, the Skywalker line ended with Anakin. For the intelligence agencies, the Skywalker name apparently didn't mean anything or trigger any alarms until after the Battle of Yavin IV. Heck, probably only Palpatine, Obi-Wan, and Yoda knew that Darth Vader was once Anakin Skywalker to begin with, so Luke Skywalker could freely walk around on Tatooine, give his name on the local registrar, and nobody would make the connection that this was a person of interest to the highest levels of the Empire. Even in the real world, intelligence agencies can only look for things they are told to look for.

As far as why Obi-Wan didn't just change Luke's last name? Maybe it wasn't even his call to make...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    They would have to know that there was a Skywalker out there first. For all Vader and Palpatine knew, the Skywalker line ended with Anakin. For the intelligence agencies, the Skywalker name apparently didn't mean anything or trigger any alarms until after the Battle of Yavin IV. Heck, probably only Palpatine, Obi-Wan, and Yoda knew that Darth Vader was once Anakin Skywalker to begin with, so Luke Skywalker could freely walk around on Tatooine, give his name on the local registrar, and nobody would make the connection that this was a person of interest to the highest levels of the Empire. Even in the real world, intelligence agencies can only look for things they are told to look for.
    It does not even matter that Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader are the same person.
    Skywalker is still a very uncommon name, Anakin Skywaler was still a famous Jedi general from Tatooine. Which makes Luke at the least a person of interest.

BANNED

Yeah, totally not buying that that's all he did.
    Why? That's what the movies present you. Star Wars paints you a picture of Obi-Wan, and that's of a once great man who's given up whatever life he once had before to watch over his old friends son. It kind of fucks up his whole ending in Star Wars if instead of dying on his first adventure in 18-20 years or however long it's been, if instead he was secretly up too all kinds of fun things we didn't see while going by Ben. It's the same kind of thing with Yoda.

Ehm... Those are not kinds of Star Wars films.
    Except the western-focused one, which they already made several times. And tends to use Western tropes but not Western iconography.
    I didn't say they were. I said they could be. Star Wars is fundamentally a hodgepodge of, seemingly, the filmmakers favorite things focused through the lens that is Star Wars. There's no reason someone couldn't work any of those things into Star Wars, because that's what Star Wars is, it's a bunch of different action movie things unified under an aesthetic.

The idea that Star Wars doesn't have Western iconography is fucking hilarious. I could only guess that someone that thinks such a thing is either unfamiliar with Star Wars, Westerns, or both. Also, lets not act like a number of post-apocalyptic films aren't playing off western, and that they'd be out of place in Star Wars when dressed up like Star Wars. Or that the aesthetic of Tatooine, with its vast deserts, Sandcrawlers, architecture, and giant skeletons laying about wouldn't lead itself too things like the Mad Max movies, A Boy and His Dog, and numerous other films.

And he kept the name Luke Skywalker, and lets him live with Darth Vader's relatives, which should tell you a thing or two or three about how much thought and dedication old Obi put into that task.
    Yes, the prequels fucked things up. Great point. Let's not have more prequels fuck more shit up.

BANNED

It does not even matter that Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader are the same person.
    Skywalker is still a very uncommon name, Anakin Skywaler was still a famous Jedi general from Tatooine. Which makes Luke at the least a person of interest.
    Do they say it's an uncommon name?