Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Best of 1975-1979

What are your favorite stories, arcs, etc., from this period?

Spectacular Member

Little known, but one of my favorites from this era:

supes vs ww.jpg

This is my favourite era... Green Lantern, Justice League of America, Flash, All-Star Comics, Batman, the oversized tabloid editions (still got my Superman v Muhammad Ali in near mint) the DC Special series... the list could go on and on.

Astonishing Member

This was before I was a comic reader and I'm not that familiar with the titles published during this period. But I do know that the Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers run on Detective Comics falls into this period. Does the Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter story fall in this period?

Retired

Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter was in '74, Englehart/Rogers was in '77.

Loved Engleharts run on Justice League... Also the run of Adventure Comics on their Dollar Comics format was a favourite of mine, #462 The Death of Batman issue remains one of my favourite covers.

All-New Member

Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Legion of Super Heroes, Justice league of America and The Warlord were all really good during this period.

Retired

I was buying about 80% of all the DC titles that were coming out each month during this time period and I liked them all, but my top picks were SUPERMAN (written by Martin Pasko), STAR HUNTERS, DETECTIVE COMICS (and not just the Englehart issues, but all contributors), ALL-STAR COMICS, BATMAN FAMILY, THE WARLORD, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, BLITZKRIEG, SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, PLASTIC MAN and WORLD'S FINEST COMICS. Also, THE AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS began in 1974 and ended in 1978--a book devoted to everything DC and I was a subscriber from day one--top quality production in every issue.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

This is the era where I transitioned from an occasional reader based on gifts from my parents to regular buyer of comics on a weekly basis. At the earliest point of this time, I was buying an equal number of both DC and Marvel. However, by 1977, I was buying almost solely DC since I loved that universe slightly more.

Favorite stories? So many to choose from, but for today, I'll post this (from 1978):

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

This one is tough to answer for me because no era is dearer to me than this one as it's when I started reading. I think most of the titles were pretty good. The Superman titles with Pasko, Conway, and Bates are some of my favorite issues of the character. The Batman books had the excellent Englehart & Rogers but the entire period was strong. Justice League, Superboy, Flash, World's Finest, Brave & Bold, All Star Comics , Aquaman were my favorites. Plus, there were the oversized Comics that blew my mind at the time. The Batman edition featuring the first Ra's Al Ghul stories forever defined the character for me. The era was totally different from today in that it was primarily aimed at kids with just enough sophistication that adults could still enjoy it.

All the elements of the Silver Age were at writers disposal to use or ignore as they pleased. Best time I had reading comics.

IMG_9051.jpg

My all time Favorite Superman cover. The Pasko run had better continuity than was common on the titles at the time. Really an underrated run. Gerry Conway also did some great Superman work an introduced threats that were more physically challenging. Superman was pushed quite a bit during this era contrary to the notion that he was "too powerful".
    Last edited by Jon-El; 08-20-2017 at 09:27 PM.

All-Star Comics #58-59
    JLA #151-up
    DC Super-Stars #17
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

This was my peak-reading era as a kid. The first book I ever really looked forward to every month was BATMAN FAMILY.

This is the first issue I remember owning.

BatmanFamily8.jpg

I loved the reprints in the early issues. And this was when Barbara Gordon was a member of congress and was dating college student Dick Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    This was before I was a comic reader and I'm not that familiar with the titles published during this period. But I do know that the Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers run on Detective Comics falls into this period.
    And this run was magnificent.

Det1.jpg
    Det2.jpg

This was a great story.

Superman300.jpg