Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Retired

After the first four issues, where it seemed like DC COMICS PRESENTS was going to have a permanent artist--Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez--if not a permanent writer, it became apparent that the creative teams would keep changing. Whereas, during most of the 1970s, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD had a permanent creative team in Bob Haney and Jim Aparo.

There are advantages to either approach in team-up comics. For me, I got into the habit of buying every issue of B&B, no matter which character was teamed with Batman, because I wanted to see what Haney & Aparo were going to do with that pairing. I knew I was in good hands with those guys, so I wanted to get every issue.

With DCCP, you never knew what you were going to get. While some issues were high quality, others were a drag. It was more of a gamble to buy this comic--yet they could do a better job of matching the guest character to the guest creative team.

I loved both titles, but if I was forced to choose one, I'd have to go with the Haney & Aparo B&B.

Batwoman came out of retirement in 1977 in Batman Family #10.

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 8.59.37 AM.jpg

But she is killed by the League of Assassins in Detective Comics #485 in 1979.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 8.48.51 AM.jpg

Adventure Comics #437 from 1975

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 9.50.59 AM.jpg

Justice League of America #161 [Dec 1978] - Zatanna joins!

Justice League of America #166-168 [1979] - vs. the Secret Society of Super-Villains

Justice League of America #173 [Dec 1979] - Black Lightning asked to join the League.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Teen Titans #44 [Nov 1976] - Return of the Teen Titans and the best identity for Mal Duncan...The Guardian.

Teen Titans #49 [Aug 1977] - Karen Beecher appears as Bumblebee

Teen Titans #50 [Oct 1977] - Teen Titans East meets Teen Titans West

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Action Comics #455 from 1976

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 10.03.15 AM.jpg

Someone earlier mentioned DC Superstars #17 from 1977. I have this one. This was the first appearance of the Huntress.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 9.52.41 AM.jpg

Ok Two questions

1) Is this considered Satellite Era for Justice League?

2) How are you guys putting small thumbnail pics of the covers in your posts like that?

I loved the Secret Society of Supervillains series. Villain books popped a few times in the 70's at Marvel & DC. This was my favorite though. Only read a few issues at the time but ended up buying all the issues years later. The tone is up & down going from fairly light to very serious but I enjoy it. It focused on lesser known characters like Captain Comet & the Wizard. Some interesting villain pairings. I think my first issue was the one below with Kid Flash but my favorite issue featured the Crime Syndicate. Wish this series had lasted longer.

IMG_9977.JPG

IMG_9978.JPG

To answer the question above, this is the satellite era. Began earlier in the decade. Great run of comics!
    Last edited by Jon-El; 11-05-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Ok Two questions

1) Is this considered Satellite Era for Justice League?

2) How are you guys putting small thumbnail pics of the covers in your posts like that?
    1) Yes. Part of it anyway.

2) In the toolbar above your reply. The third icon from the right. Move your cursor over it and it will say "insert image." Click on that and you can upload something. But if anyone can tell me how to increase the size of the images I post I'd be most appreciative.

Retired

I don't know how to increase the size of the images. Sometimes they will appear bigger but then get reduced later. Some weird thing with the attachments. I usually use [img] [/img] which shows the image at regular size, but you have to be careful that the image isn't too big. And the attachments won't accept images that are too big at all.

Satellite era goes from about 1969 to 1983--the JLA were in a cave HQ before that until they were sold out to the Joker, then they stayed in their satellite (built with Kryptonian and Thanagarian technology) until they were disbanded and a new team reformed in Detroit. Which I think was in 1983 or 1984.

Am I the only person who changed his mind about certain artists? I remember that I didn't like Marvel Comics and I didn't like Jack Kirby's art. I did, however, like John Romita's art. When Kirby came over to DC, I was still against his artwork, but I came to like his work when he was on KAMANDI and I revised my opinion about all his previous work.

I was on the fence about Dick Dillin. I liked when Sid Greene or Murphy Anderson inked Dillin, but I was less satisfied with Joe Giella, Dick Giordano or Frank McLaughlin inks. But now I really like all Dick Dillin's work.

And even with divisive artists like Mike Sekowsky and Don Heck, I appreciate their artwork much more now than I used to.

I always liked Dillin. To me, he's one of those artists who drew ever character well. Some artists can draw Superman but not Batman for example. Dillin nailed everyone. His capes were lackluster but everything else was solid.

There a few artists I didn't like but came around to. Kirby, Gil Kane, & Gene Colan to name a few. Kirby I didn't get at all as a kid. I bought some Thor issues in the 90's grew to appreciate his work.

A few more favorites. This was such a fun era to start out in. Comics were cheap enough that I could just try anything.

IMG_9988.jpg

IMG_9989.jpg

IMG_9990.jpg