Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm currently reading classic JLA comics starting from #185 and loving it.
    The book was kind of silly and the villains' plots rarely made sense, but it had such charm and great characterizations.
    One of the most fun JLA runs I've read. I plan to read up until the Detroit era.

Time Warp #5, the final issue, from 1980

Time_Warp_5.jpg

Retired

I have TIMEWARP No.1, but I always assumed it never went beyond that first issue, because I looked for other issues and never saw any on sale at my LCS. I'm surprised to see there was another four issues--in dollar size format, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I have TIMEWARP No.1, but I always assumed it never went beyond that first issue, because I looked for other issues and never saw any on sale at my LCS. I'm surprised to see there was another four issues--in dollar size format, too.
    Something like that happened to me too. I've tried to figure it out. I used to buy my comics at a drug store with a spinner rack every Friday. I stopped at some point around late '78/early '79. I can't remember why. I always assumed I was just getting older and lost interest. But when I came back to comics several years ago I learned all about the DC Implosion and realized I had the final issues of all the new titles DC had recently started up. Then it jogged my memory and I think what happened was I went to the store and the comics hadn't come in. Then maybe by the next week they hadn't either. It was a small town and this was the only place I knew of to buy comics and I also had to rely on my mother to drive me there. Maybe I just gave up? I also read about some blizzards that happened in the NE at that point delaying deliveries? (I grew up in Connecticut.) . Bottom line is all this explains I think why and how I stopped reading comics way back when. I think I had just the first issue of Time Warp myself and later found out there were further issues that I had missed somehow.

Retired

It's a mystery. I'm sure I would have bought further issues of TIMEWARP if I had found them. Immediately after the TIMEWARP run, DC put out a regular size revival of MYSTERY IN SPACE but only for a few issues and I managed to get most of them.

But my life was a little chaotic at the time what with work and school, so I may have missed the comics somehow.

The DC Implosion was caused by a snowstorm in a round about way. Apparently, Warner Brothers (with SUPERMAN being scheduled to come out in June of 1978 originally) had bank rolled an expansion of the DC line; however, during the winter of 1977-1978 there were snowstorms that prevented the comics getting to shops on the east coast and consequently sales were really down. When the Warner accountants looked at those numbers, they pulled the plug on the DC Explosion already underway. Which is why DC was forced to cut so many of their titles--both new and old and some that never even saw the sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's a mystery. I'm sure I would have bought further issues of TIMEWARP if I had found them. Immediately after the TIMEWARP run, DC put out a regular size revival of MYSTERY IN SPACE but only for a few issues and I managed to get most of them.

But my life was a little chaotic at the time what with work and school, so I may have missed the comics somehow.

The DC Implosion was caused by a snowstorm in a round about way. Apparently, Warner Brothers (with SUPERMAN being scheduled to come out in June of 1978 originally) had bank rolled an expansion of the DC line; however, during the winter of 1977-1978 there were snowstorms that prevented the comics getting to shops on the east coast and consequently sales were really down. When the Warner accountants looked at those numbers, they pulled the plug on the DC Explosion already underway. Which is why DC was forced to cut so many of their titles--both new and old and some that never even saw the sunlight.
    Well, that would explain the Implosion. But not why the comics didn't get to my drugstore in the winter of 78/79, if that is indeed what happened.

PS--as I type this "When Will I See You Again" started playing in my apartment.

Brave and the Bold #169 from 1980

Brave_and_the_Bold_v.1_169.jpg

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
    Wolfman-Perez's "The New Teen Titans"
    Alan Brennert's few stories in various DC titles
    Flash #300
    Detective Comics #500, great anniversary issue featuring many characters

And my favorite anniversary issue of all time, Superman #400, featuring a story by Elliott Maggin that speculates the impact Superman has on our civilization through the centuries. It also features contributions by Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Jack Davis, Moebius, Leonard Star, Ray Bradbury, Jim Steranko, Frank Miller, Wendy Pini, Bernie Wrightson, Bill Sienkewicz, Howard Chaykin, Brian Bolland, John Byrne, Walter Simonson and a few other talented artists I don't remember right now! The greatest celebration a character ever had, as far as I'm concerned!

Superman_400_01_FC.jpg

All-Star Squadron was my favourite title at the time. Favourite storyline: