Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Nick Roche is great. i've only read the first couple issues of Mother Panic. guess i need to catch up on my 'to read' pile. not sure how to feel about the time skip. aside from the X-Men two-parter i've really enjoyed this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    Nick Roche is great. i've only read the first couple issues of Mother Panic. guess i need to catch up on my 'to read' pile. not sure how to feel about the time skip. aside from the X-Men two-parter i've really enjoyed this book.
    I got a kick out of the X-Men thing because it was such a throwback to the X-Men I knew and loved as a kid, but in retrospect it didn't add much to the development of the series.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlly View Post
    Don't know anything about the new creative team, but I have a hunch I will miss Stegman (on art, and maybe on writing as well). However I definitely like some of the Transformers art by Nick Roche I viewed by Googling him.

Not sure about the time jump. I feel there has not been enough development of Annie's clairvoyant abilities (would she be a newer Madame Web?) at her current age. Good or bad, I do think there will be more potential for drama with a teenage daughter. I could see the book getting a little darker perhaps and more mature with the age shift; again, not sure if good or bad. From the cover, I know I will miss the VenoMJ costume . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I am trying to be optimistic with this new direction but I must say I am not sure I will enjoy this.
    I am unfamiliar with the creative team and on top of that a lot of the time when a series has a time skip I have lost interest in it. The 5 year gap Legion and walking dead are two series for me where I really lost interest in the series when the time skip happened.
    I think this is a case where a retool and creative team switch is a necessary evil. The current status quo, as it was, wasn't showing signs of stabilizing in sales.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I think this is a case where a retool and creative team switch is a necessary evil. The current status quo, as it was, wasn't showing signs of stabilizing in sales.
    Sales were relatively stable in the mid-high 20k range. Not sure what to expect from the new creative team, but they don't seem as high profile as Conway/Stegman.

BANNED

Jody Houser's a good writer. I don't think I'm familiar with the artist.

Her most notable work is Valiant's Faith. I've read a few issues, and it's been consistently good.

Good for RYV for getting her as a writer.

Sorry to hear that Ryan Stegman and Gerry Conway are leaving. Hope the new team does well.

BANNED

Ryan Stegman confirmed he will continue to produce the covers for the series, but that he could'nt answer any questions on his current projects (but we do know his post-RYV project still involves Spidey)

How Is losing one of Marvel's best artists going to stabilize or increase sales?

This is horseshoes

Goddamn it I'm pissed

The time when an ongoing Marvel book can hold onto a creative team for more than 12 issues seems increasingly rare these days. I think Roche will be a good fit for RYV, but I'm unfamiliar with Houser, so I'll keep an open mind until her debut. Hopefully, she'll maintain the sense of family with the Parkers.

Gonna miss little Annie though...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

I was certainly disappointed to hear that Stegman was off this title - it's irritating how few creative teams get long, glorious runs like Lee and Ditko/Bendis and Bagley/Snyder and Capullo. The trend of having a revolving door of artists is particular off-putting.

I do, however, like the time-skip idea. Teenage Annie can be more independent and develop away from her parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Jody Houser's a good writer. I don't think I'm familiar with the artist.

Her most notable work is Valiant's Faith. I've read a few issues, and it's been consistently good.

Good for RYV for getting her as a writer.
    I forgot she was the writer of Faith.

I'd say that book is fairly in-line with what Conway and Stegman have been doing on RYV, so hopefully it's a seamless transition .

BANNED

Holy...she does FAITH?

SOLD.

Nice to hear some positive reactions from people who know! I'm not familiar with Jody Houser, but I'm excited to see what she does--especially hearing that some of you have enjoyed her work. Conway and Stegman have built a great foundation for her to work from in this book.

[QUOTE=SensationalSean;3027842]I was certainly disappointed to hear that Stegman was off this title - it's irritating how few creative teams get long, glorious runs like Lee and Ditko/Bendis and Bagley/Snyder and Capullo.

Or Bendis/Bagley.

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalSean View Post
    The trend of having a revolving door of artists is particular off-putting.
    I don't like it much either, although I have found that if the stories mesh together, I will forgive changes. However, I prefer changes to be at the end of story arcs rather than mid-chapter, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalSean View Post
    I do, however, like the time-skip idea. Teenage Annie can be more independent and develop away from her parents.
    I would've preferred if they had built up to it in-story, like let the series progress and age the characters in "real comic book time," if that makes any sense, but I'm interested in how it'll go.

I regret that we never got an interdimensional teamup between young Annie and Gabby from All-New Wolverine. It would have been glorious.