Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your most formative moment from the Marvel Netflix shows

After 2 seasons of Daredevil, a season of JJ, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and now the Defenders is there a moment or one scene that stands out personally? A certain scene or a specific hallway fight or an interaction between characters? Is there a reveal (costume or maybe an Avengers circling camera shot during the Chitari invasion) a monologue or sequence that seemed to have fell right off of a page right on to the screen that grabbed you? Or even a single shot, grandiose or otherwise.

I do feel if you have spent time reading about these characters over the years, there is some dialogue or framing that will definitely hook you on a cerebral level but hell, if you've never heard of any of these characters you might still have that moment, that's what these characters do? Even if you haven't seen all of them, I haven't seen any JJ and I guess I need to finish Fist and at some point so I'll go back but there is so much cool **** in all of them even if you haven't absorbed all 6 seasons.

I'm talking about one here not a top 10, be the decisive type for a change if that applies... Okay maybe a additional honorable mention.

My go to is the diner sequence conversation in Daredevil S2 with Frank and Karen in the booth. They're having this involved discussion about addressing feelings for another person and Frank is just affirming matter of factlly about Karen's hesitation. I don't know that this conversation ever happened in ink and paper but it's just so genuine during the arc of the show at the time. Also ot for nothing their talking about Frank's deceased wife and Daredevil, two characters not onscreen, their backgrounds as it effects these principles in the moment and they are both straight from the books. It's a scene with a point that rings to me that has came up reading about some or all of these characters and now fleshed out in live action and adds to both characters. All the while Punisher is watching this window and waiting for a hit, then carnage follows, coffee pot, death, so good. I've watched it a dozen times and it's my favorite scene of all the series.

Honorable mention is Cottonmouth with the rocket launcher and leveling the Chinese restaurant. That **** was so bronze age comic book I could hardly believe it.

Anyway, what you got and if it is a Defenders moment (which is great so far btw) use a spoiler please.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

BANNED

I don't know if I would say 'formative moment'. But here are few things I've taken from some shows:

But I have really been inspired by Clare Foy playing Queen Elizabeth II on the The Crown. The way she can hold herself together despite her inner turmoil is just jaw dropping. She has this commanding pressence and aura around her, which I find to be very magnetic.

I am watching 'The Medicci- Masters of Florence' right now. I have to say that I'm impressed with the wheeling and dealing that the Medicci family do to maintain power. Reminds me a lot of the modern business world. The brutality behind the pretty facade.

When the villain got his comeuppance in the finale of Jessica Jones. It was the first time I can ever think that I've actually jumped up and down with glee.

Punisher ane Daredevils coversation on the rooftop while DD is chained up.

Also anytime Cottonmouth laughed. **** was beyond infectious
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-20-2017 at 11:04 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I don't know if I would say 'formative moment'. But here are few things I've taken from some shows:

But I have really been inspired by Clare Foy playing Queen Elizabeth II on the The Crown. The way she can hold herself together despite her inner turmoil is just jaw dropping. She has this commanding pressence and aura around her, which I find to be very magnetic.

I am watching 'The Medicci- Masters of Florence' right now. I have to say that I'm impressed with the wheeling and dealing that the Medicci family do to maintain power. Reminds me a lot of the modern business world. The brutality behind the pretty facade.

When the villain got his comeuppance in the finale of Jessica Jones. It was the first time I can ever think that I've actually jumped up and down with glee.
    OP specifically said Marvel, although I agree with you on the Crown

Extraordinary Member

The beatdown Kingpin gave to Anatoly in episode 4 of Daredevil.

Throughout most of the episode we got this very different portrayal of a classic Marvel villain. One that makes him seem much timid and vulnerable than ever before. It's an interesting one and Vincent D'Nofrio is doing a great job with. But as the episode goes on I can't help but wonder if this doesn't take the edge away from the character. Then Anatoly interrupts Fisk's dinner with Vanessa and Fisk has him taken to another location so that they can have a business meeting and I'm wondering if this is where Fisk will show the criminial mastermind aspect of the character.

Then Fish rips Anatoly straight out of the car, beats the **** out of him and uses a car door to smash his head into mulch. And I was left stunned and with my mouth hanging open for roughly a minute. That was just such a perfect, if different, take on the character, and I am suddenly completely on board with what they're doing with him.

BANNED

Jessica Jones, episode 1, the final 5 or so minutes, when she is still thinking she saved Hope, and learns otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Jessica Jones, episode 1, the final 5 or so minutes, when she is still thinking she saved Hope, and learns otherwise.
    That's a good one. I loved when kingpin's army is being taken down and we see Turk running like a bat out a hell at the end of season one of daredevil. I wish Turk had been used as the anti Claire popping up in all of the defenders shows
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post

Also anytime Cottonmouth laughed. **** was beyond infectious
    "Meet me at Harlem's paradise. Bring your apron." Cottonmouth had some really good chuckle kinda lines.

BANNED

Daredevil staircase fight. It's never been equaled on TV or in movies.

Incredible Member

I'll have to think about this one, but the Cottonmouth with a rocket launcher scene did immediately pop to mind as being very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    That's a great one, a top 5 all-time for sure, when I saw it in real time I didn't see or even assume it was coming. In a world now where we have an idea about all but the actual production schedule of these projects, you never quite know how much from a visual standpoint these show-runners will pull and present a scene straight from a page. It wasn't cheesy either and could have been, it was very dark.

The dialogue of that scene was spot on too, pure smoke from an inside baseball point of view. If you compare page-to-scene to page-to-scene, there are shots/scenes of these Netflix shows that have pulled from the pages so well, that they outdo some of their much more expensive counterparts from the Hollywood or TV studios.

At this point, the more we get these things I try to put myself in the mind of the viewer that doesn't know Foggy Nelson from Happy Hogan. So how much of this would seem pretty damn cool to you if you are new to it, I feel this is where the Daredevil stuff excels. The scope of it by nature is less broad than the other series, not by a whole lot, especially with The Hand but appropriately enough it's the anchor show.
    You bet yer ass.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I wish Turk had been used as the anti Claire popping up in all of the defenders shows
    He pretty much is. Only one he didn't show up in is Jessica Jones, unless i am forgetting something.

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    "Meet me at Harlem's paradise. Bring your apron." Cottonmouth had some really good chuckle kinda lines.
    Truth. I haven't seen Moonlight but I have seen Mahershala Ali in several interviews and I would never have put Cottonmouth on him if I'd never seen it myself. One of the great Marvel villains and while not in the same space by any means, I'm one who kinda dug Diamondback (as a character).

"You knock down a few doors, speak in a church and now you Harlem's Captain America. Expletive please."
    You bet yer ass.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Truth. I haven't seen Moonlight but I have seen Mahershala Ali in several interviews and I would never have put Cottonmouth on him if I'd never seen it myself. One of the great Marvel villains and while not in the same space by any means, I'm one who kinda dug Diamondback (as a character).

"You knock down a few doors, speak in a church and now you Harlem's Captain America. Expletive please."
    My opinion was that Diamondback's character was written really well, then undercut by whoever made him look like a power ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The beatdown Kingpin gave to Anatoly in episode 4 of Daredevil.

It's an interesting one and Vincent D'Nofrio is doing a great job with.
    I agree with all of this, save that D'Nofrio isn't given enough credit for just a great job. He was phenomenal, his Kingpin separated the Netflix productions from ANYTHING in regards to live action capes before it. So much of it was done without words too, the starring at the prison cell wall...****. TO ME, he was more effective and convincing playing the Kingpin than Heath Ledger was playing Joker. This isn't taking anything away from Ledger and understandably because D'Nofrio had episodes of a show as opposed to what Ledger had in a single movie gave him a leg up, still though Fisk had a background, Joker in the Dark Knight did not. Then too Ledger had examples, weather he consulted those roles at the time for his portrayal or not, of other actors being the Joker. 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other the way I see it. Hell, I'd even argue that as far as casting goes period for ANY superhero role it goes D'Nofrio's Fisk, Ledger's Joker and then Downey's Stark as 1-2-3.

The violence of that scene is a benchmark too. It's only topped by The Punisher's gauntlet prison fight and most of that was gore, I can't even imagine what's going to follow when his show drops.
    You bet yer ass.