Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Finished episodes 1-4 last night. As for my quick thoughts:

- I liked how the show had all of the characters get a part of the main problem. In the beginning, each caught a glimpse of the villain's plan and worked that particular angle until they crossed paths in episode 3. There was a lot of anticipation on my part and I loved seeing how all of these disparate parts fit. Thus, I didn't mind that the entire group didn't join the first episode.

- On a larger scale, the scene in the Chinese restaurant was pretty cool. Over the past couple of years, all of these characters have unknowingly had some kind of shared experiences with one another, whether it be with the Hand or one another. Again, we see that all these things come together.

- Definitely liking the interaction between Luke and Danny. Moreover, I like how quickly they met. Their eventual meeting could have been annoyingly stretched out over an episode. So, I was very pleased to see Claire just cut the crap, connect the dots, and have the two meet. One can already see the bonds of friendship, while also seeing the tension. In a way, showed to me why it was acceptable to have cast Danny Rand as white. The conversation Luke and Danny have (and you know what I'm talking about) would not have been possible or had much weight if Danny were Asian-American.

- Still feel that Iron Fist's fighting could improve. It's better than the first Iron Fist series. And I marked the hell out seeing Danny use the fist. But it could still improve, especially when compared with Daredevil's.

- I don't mind the shots or pacing of the show. The awkward silences and the slowness or previous series was a killer for me. The show's short episodes, quick cuts, and angles make it seem leaner to me, which is a good thing.

- Couldn't help but think, "Man, wouldn't it be cool if Shang-Chi or Moon Knight was in this?"

So, there were good points and bad points in Defenders. Overall, still enjoy what I'm seeing. Will finish the series today!
    Last edited by Tien Long; 08-19-2017 at 04:12 AM.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Well, to me it felt forced that none of the four met each other in the first episode. Felt like the show was making excuses to keep them apart.
    I mean, what would those be though? They don't know each other, Matt is retired, Claire is their only friend in common(well, not that much for Jessica), they all had their own storylines at the beginning, and they don't what's about to happen soon and the plan hasn't started yet. Claire does call Danny and Luke after she realized what's happening, and the start of episode 2 isn't exactly too late for that imo. I really liked how their storylines suddenly connected, and when it comes to the whole "they live in the same town!" thing, I felt they managed to show that already when characters of different shows interacted like Foggy with Luke and Jessica with Misty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I mean, what would those be though? They don't know each other, Matt is retired, Claire is their only friend in common(well, not that much for Jessica), they all had their own storylines at the beginning, and they don't what's about to happen soon and the plan hasn't started yet. Claire does call Danny and Luke after she realized what's happening, and the start of episode 2 isn't exactly too late for that imo. I really liked how their storylines suddenly connected, and when it comes to the whole "they live in the same town!" thing, I felt they managed to show that already when characters of different shows interacted like Foggy with Luke and Jessica with Misty.
    I also think they were doing a little backstorying without getting too deep into it for those who might only followed one or two of the solo series to get everyone up to date.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    So apparently it's wrong for Matt to prevent some guy from murdering children?
    Maybe I gotta look at it again but the guy looked to be a 20 something not a child. What he fired 2 shotgun blasts from close range and missed either he's a really bad shot or just trying to scare the thief. Nevertheless the guy doesn't even drop the merch,just keeps running.

Also DD doesn't even try and stop him he basically helps him get away and then goes in extra beat down on a guy he already disarmed and who's already down-wtf was that? Nah the writers coulda done better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Reloaded View Post
    I mean immediately after the earthquake he's listening for trouble on the rooftops, then hears the thieves. It's much more nuanced than you make it sound.
    Okay I'll give you that but still...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Actually no. Majority only liked Daredevil. Of course each show have their fans but the only one actually overall liked by fans was DD.

People will complain and rage at first but they would very much be on with the idea after they realize marvel TV department can do better than these.

Honestly Agents of SHIELD is better than any of these shows.
    Everyone liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Agents of Sheild started out sooooo bad that it's damaged goods now and will never get good ratings no matter how much better it got. It's silly to say Marvel's Netflix brand is the one that should stop when their flagship network show is dying a death and the one they are trying to launch is getting trashed

Finished the first four episodes. So wtf is a black sky? I still have no idea what it technically is other then Elektra

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Everyone liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Agents of Sheild started out sooooo bad that it's damaged goods now and will never get good ratings no matter how much better it got. It's silly to say Marvel's Netflix brand is the one that should stop when their flagship network show is dying a death and the one they are trying to launch is getting trashed
    Every show exept Ironfist has gotten above average marks at worst. And critics loved JJ,Luke Cage,and DD season 1. I think he hears ppl whine about pacing issues with JJ and Luke Cage dropping in quality after Cottomouth exists online and somehow thinks that means ppl dont like those shows. When they were all huge sucesses for Netflix. They are by far the best comicbook tv shows out there. The actors and writers are a step above the ppl on the CW shows. Except finn jones, Stephen Amell could probaly done better as ironfist lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Maybe I gotta look at it again but the guy looked to be a 20 something not a child. What he fired 2 shotgun blasts from close range and missed either he's a really bad shot or just trying to scare the thief. Nevertheless the guy doesn't even drop the merch,just keeps running.

Also DD doesn't even try and stop him he basically helps him get away and then goes in extra beat down on a guy he already disarmed and who's already down-wtf was that? Nah the writers coulda done better.
    The writers did do better, you just misinterpreted the scene, that's all. Matt knows full well the kids are stealing. But, as he even says "They're just kids!" So he disarms the guy with the shotgun, who is intent on chasing after the looters. Then he knocks him cold. Which it could be argued is going to far, yes. I would argue that was exactly the show's point.

Matt is addicted to the violence. It's how they play it in every sequence we see him in the entire series up until that point. Matt is an addict. And he has now fallen off the wagon. He hurts the now unarmed man more than he needs to because he's been pent up, and now cutting loose he forgets his boundaries. It's a way of showing us just how "lost" Matt is in the violence, from Foggy's perspective. But you can also take it as seeing just how badly Matt needs to be DD. Without an outlet, Matt threatens to lose control of the devil inside. Being Daredevil makes Matt's life dangerous, and complicated, but it keeps him from going off the deep end.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Finished the first four episodes. So wtf is a black sky? I still have no idea what it technically is other then Elektra
    it basically seems to be perfect death, but other than that its just increased speed and strength.

i really dislike how they set up all this mysticism in season 1 of DD and then back tracked in season 2. Season 1 kinda implied the black sky was the demon from shadowland or something related to it. Then season 2 throws out all the threats Stick saw with it when they reveal he was raising a black sky for the lols.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    The writers did do better, you just misinterpreted the scene, that's all. Matt knows full well the kids are stealing. But, as he even says "They're just kids!" So he disarms the guy with the shotgun, who is intent on chasing after the looters. Then he knocks him cold. Which it could be argued is going to far, yes. I would argue that was exactly the show's point.

Matt is addicted to the violence. It's how they play it in every sequence we see him in the entire series up until that point. Matt is an addict. And he has now fallen off the wagon. He hurts the now unarmed man more than he needs to because he's been pent up, and now cutting loose he forgets his boundaries. It's a way of showing us just how "lost" Matt is in the violence, from Foggy's perspective. But you can also take it as seeing just how badly Matt needs to be DD. Without an outlet, Matt threatens to lose control of the devil inside. Being Daredevil makes Matt's life dangerous, and complicated, but it keeps him from going off the deep end.
    Okay I get what you're saying but still that scene didn't sit right with me. I feel like as DD he should have handled that better. I haven't watched much of the DD seasons so I don't really know the chars backround like that.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Watched the whole season last night. Here's my thoughts:

-This felt like a Daredevil season 3 to me, instead of a Defenders show. Or at least an extension of season 2. But that's okay with me because I love DD and Elektra.

-The Immortal Iron Fist? More like the 'Immortal Punching Bag'. Matt dominated him in their short fight scene. But again, that's cool with me. I was hoping he would. But then Elektra knocks him around like a rag doll. Same with Gao and...you know what? It would be easier to just list the people on this show who didn't smack Danny around. I mean, the Iron Fist is supposed to be the elite, premiere fighter from K'un Lun. But he's treated like some dude who opened up a dojo downtown. I thought they made Danny look bad in his own show, but they really made him look bad in this one.

And he's also stupid. I mean, as soon as I saw him focus his chi into the IF to fight Elektra I said to myself "Whelp, he's about to do exactly what Elektra wanted...to open the lock". Seriously, he knew that's why they wanted him. All he had to do was refuse to summon his IF, and they lose. But nope, he has to do it. Dumb.

-Another thing that bothered me is that Danny wasn't able to do squat against Luke (except when he summoned the IF) but Gao, Sowande and even Elektra are able to knock Luke around? I could maybe get behind Gao (as she looks like she has some sort of super power), but Elektra knocked Luke out with a kick to the face? Come on now.

-I like all of the characters, but my focus was mostly on DD and Elektra. They saved this show from being really bad. It was their storyline that made this show go from a "D" to a "B-". The Hand, the five, and the rest really didn't do much for me.

-Good riddance to Stick. I hated his "the mission means more than your life or this city" nonsense from DD. And when he decided it was better to kill Danny than allow him to fall into the Hand's, well, hand's? That was it for me. Glad Elektra ran him through.

-I'm also grateful that they stayed true to the comics in regards to Matt and Elektra. He never gave up on her, even to the very end, just like in the comics. Stick is too cold hearted and gives up on people too easily, while Matt is actually loyal and forgiving.

My up to date rankings on the Marvel Super Hero Netflix shows are now:

-DD Season 2
    -DD Season 1
    -Jessica Jones
    -The Defenders
    -Iron Fist
    -Cage

I have no doubt that The Punisher will jump right up into my third slot on this list after I've seen it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I made comment on Facebook saying that Luke wearing Carhartt seemed wrong to me. What I meant was that's not a brand I associate with the African American community. Can someone chime in on this. (Preferably someone from said community)
    wtf? We wear whatever the hell we want.

Example

Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 08-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    -Another thing that bothered me is that Danny wasn't able to do squat against Luke (except when he summoned the IF) but Gao, Sowande and even Elektra are able to knock Luke around? I could maybe get behind Gao (as she looks like she has some sort of super power), but Elektra knocked Luke out with a kick to the face? Come on now.
    To be fair, Luke was still suffering from the affects of the incense when Elektra kicked him. Remember, she's the "Black Sky" whatever the hell that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    wtf? We wear whatever the hell we want.

Example

I didn't say you couldn't just that I didn't associate it with people of that race. Simply because I hadn't ever seen it before.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"