Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'm disappointed.. What a shame..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Oh no.....

Well, at least maybe now Nightwing will get better...
    Not sure what you mean, as he's still very much on Nightwing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Oh no.....

Well, at least maybe now Nightwing will get better...
    Seeley's the only thing protecting Nightwing from sliding back into the mediocrity that has sadly become the norm for that property.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Seeley's the only thing protecting Nightwing from sliding back into the mediocrity that has sadly become the norm for that property.
    Geez, has the bar been set THAT low for Nightwing that Seeley's bland, inconsistent writing is considered above mediocre?

Based on his writing on Nightwing, I'm nervous to hear that he will be writing Green Lanterns, especially if he will be writing it IN ADDITION to Nightwing, which means he won't even be able to focus all his attention on it to ensure that it is high quality.

Humphries has had his ups and downs on the book, his best issue being #15, which deals directly with Jessica's daily struggles by showing her perspective. Overall, while it's been the better Green Lantern book in Rebirth, it's had a fair share of lackluster plots and, at times, very heavy-handed characterization. Seeley has been a stronger writer with a better body of work, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what he can do with the title.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And he's only been successful at doing so about 50% of the time since he's been saddled with the nostalgia of the Nightwing brand. Grayson was a godsend because it was moving the character forward by putting him in a situation that wasn't the norm for him and seeing how he would react to those situations. There Seeley (and King) were taking risks with the character and were expanding both concepts other writers had developed and the character in interesting ways. By comparison Nightwing is very much stuck in the past and is doing the same old thing every Nightwing book before it has done. Its still a decent, if bland at times, read because Seeley is a good writer but honestly I sometimes feel his heart just isn't in it or that he's not as passionate about certain aspects of the book then he is about others. I really feel it's dragging the book back down into mediocrity again but that's just me.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-24-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Nightwing is very much stuck in the past and is doing the same old thing every Nightwing book before it has done.
    Right! And worst of all, he is still fighting a bunch of corny, throwaway, Z-List villains. His supporting cast is Z-List, too.

Right! And worst of all, he is still fighting a bunch of corny, throwaway, Z-List villains. His supporting cast is Z-List, too.
    I enjoy those Z-listers though .

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I enjoy those Z-listers though .
    I don't mind those Z-listers either. What I do mind is that Seeley doesn't seem to be playing outside of the box as much as he did before and that he's not really taking risks with the character anymore. There are bright spots here and there but this is mostly status quo Nightwing with all the usual trappings and that is boring to me at this point. Not even his spin on concepts like Bludhaven is doing enough to make this interesting at all times for me. Guess I'm cursed to like a book about a Dick Grayson who is doing new things: NTT, DickBats, Grayson and finding those books more appealing then standard issue Nightwing.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 08-24-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

It's not necessarily the concepts of Seeley's Nigthwing I personally like, though its use of obscure characters is nice, doubly so since most *are* Nightwing characters. It's just the writing. I like hiis character for Dick, and I like the prose itself. I've been a Seeley fan since his Hack/Slash days, so it's a treat to see the guy take on higher and higher profile projects.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Geez, has the bar been set THAT low for Nightwing that Seeley's bland, inconsistent writing is considered above mediocre?

Based on his writing on Nightwing, I'm nervous to hear that he will be writing Green Lanterns, especially if he will be writing it IN ADDITION to Nightwing, which means he won't even be able to focus all his attention on it to ensure that it is high quality.
    Yes, the bar is incredibly low for Nightwing as a solo property. Its telling that Grayson and the Nightwing stories dealing with non-Bludhaven stuff have been stronger. The era that Seeley is being forced to emulate is not interesting at all, his is actually a step above it all and still manages to be solid at it's worst.

I wouldn't judge him based only on Nightwing. He's one of my favorites in the industry due to his Indy stuff, and Nightwing is still very good even though it's towards the bottom of the list. Unless we get somebody like Priest, that book is gonna get sucky real fast

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I don't mind those Z-listers either. What I do mind is that Seeley doesn't seem to be playing outside of the box as much as he did before and that he's not really taking risks with the character anymore. There are bright spots here and there but this is mostly status quo Nightwing with all the usual trappings and that is boring to me at this point. Not even his spin on concepts like Bludhaven is doing enough to make this interesting at all times for me. Guess I'm cursed to like a book about a Dick Grayson who is doing new things: NTT, DickBats, Grayson and finding those books more appealing then standard issue Nightwing.
    Personally I'm not bored. I think everything in the book is fun and lively, though I was already a fan of the Dixon run .

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Totally and utterly shocked! I was just joking around saying goes that Humphries & Seeley were switching books....and now it's actually happenning? ! I don't knoq what to think of this...so Nightwing is Humphries all time (or one of them ) favorite characters? Interesting. ...I like both both books and both creators now so I'll continue to pick them up of course but what do you guys think?
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

It is know who is the new writer already or not?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    It is know who is the new writer already or not?
    Seeley and Humphries switched books basically.