Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Tony Isabella returns with BLACK LIGHTNING: Cold Dead Hands

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08...?sf107559859=1

Love the new costume. I think having less yellow and focusing on the black and blue looks really cool.

Story sounds like it will be a good introduction for any new fans interested in the character because of the CW show.
    Sadly it doesn't sound like Jefferson's daughters exist in this world and he's still around the age as he was in the New 52. I think making him a little older and giving him a family really made him unique. A veteran superhero with two meta human daughters.

Maybe this mini series will end with Thunder and Lightning being introduced.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-18-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

This looks really good. The costume also looks like an improvement, even though the original with the yellow was fine.

They could always introduce his daughters in other ways. Maybe he had them when he was younger, but didn't know about them until they come later on. His "thing" as an active community member with a passion for education is maintained, and that's most important. But I do hope they keep him as a former Olympic athlete.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

This looks so good. I love the new costume and I'm looking forward to the book.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm on board with this. I didn't have a direct problem with Thunder and Lightning but I didn't like the idea that they had previously aged Black Lightning to the point that he had 2 daughters in their mid to late teens.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Should be good, but I can't say I'm personally interested. Wake me when Thunder and Lightning are back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm on board with this. I didn't have a direct problem with Thunder and Lightning but I didn't like the idea that they had previously aged Black Lightning to the point that he had 2 daughters in their mid to late teens.
    The kids added to his "veteran" community member appeal and gave him a greater stake in protecting his city. They probably didn't wanna use them here because it would've made him seem a lot older and established than they probably want to convey. I wouldn't be opposed to introducing them later, but I think it was smart to not add the family stuff early on.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Should be good, but I can't say I'm personally interested. Wake me when Thunder and Lightning are back.
    Yeah, I had the same feeling. His daughters are what made BL interesting to me. So, no daughters, no sell. Also want him back to his proper age.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-18-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Problem with new 52 is that it made him too young. His daughters don't exist yet. At least they're in DC Super Hero Girls and the upcoming show so not too worried. This sounds cool. Minis are the way to go for underused characters.

I'm just happy to finally be getting something big with Black Lightning .

I'm also surprised that Thunder and Lightning aren't in this, but it's also nice to see Black Lightning solo again and hopefully the Pierce sisters will pop up again at some point .

Kind of funny that Whale isn't an albino anymore when he will be on the TV show. In fact, with a young Jefferson and no daughters/ex-wife, this certainly won't be an exact match with the show (which might be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it).

i would actually like to see Thunder and Lightning a bit younger. That way they can still have BL around the same age as Superman and Batman and he can still have the family angle. something similar to the animated shorts. they would be about the same age as Damien and Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of funny that Whale isn't an albino anymore when he will be on the TV show. In fact, with a young Jefferson and no daughters/ex-wife, this certainly won't be an exact match with the show (which might be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it).
    yeah that doesn't make any sense. they should have kept him an albino. since he isn't obese anymore he needs something to make him look unique. now he just looks like some random buff guy.

im sure they gave this the green light before Tobias was cast on the show. still it's an aspect of the character they should have kept.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-18-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Looks good! Like the art and the new costume!

Yeah, it's a little disappointing that the girls aren't in this, but I understand why it's being done. At least they're in DC Superhero Girls and the CW show, so they're not being forgotten.

One question, I suppose? Is this a canon story? Is this basically Black Lightning coming into the Rebirth universe? Or is this just an Elseworld or something?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Love the new look!

Love that he's young!

Loved the measure of flight!

This is what I've been waiting for. The daughters aren't necessary for me. Jefferson Pierce is who I'm here for.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Looking forward to this very much!! Although I do agree it would be nicer to have his daughters around even at a much younger age than having JP de-aged so much. Perhaps it will be done in such a way as to say it happened at an earlier time if they decide to bring him into the forefront again and bring the girls back also? Perhaps maybe? Looking forward to it none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Looks good! Like the art and the new costume!

Yeah, it's a little disappointing that the girls aren't in this, but I understand why it's being done. At least they're in DC Superhero Girls and the CW show, so they're not being forgotten.

One question, I suppose? Is this a canon story? Is this basically Black Lightning coming into the Rebirth universe? Or is this just an Elseworld or something?
    It's definitely in continuity. It'll probably establish a new Rebirth status quo for BL.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Sounds good, lots of mini's from DC in November with Duke,the Demon,Mystik U and now this.