Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The last thing I see this resulting in is a love triangle between Tim, Steph, and Lonnie.

Though that does sound kind of amusing and crazy now that I think about it .
    Just curious -what makes you think it's so unlikely?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I see that you talk about Steph evolution.. about that.. They said previosly that detective comics was to put the characters in new books in the future, no? I think that I heard something similar in the past. Well, if this is right, this is evolution..

Maybe not one book for each character... But I think that Steph with Cass can make a good Comic for the two fanbases.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Just curious -what makes you think it's so unlikely?
    I just don't think Tynion would do something to undermine Steph's relationship with Tim by making her relationship with Anarky romantic, especially when they've only just met (and people think they rushed back to TimxSteph).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I see that you talk about Steph evolution.. about that.. They said previosly that detective comics was to put the characters in new books in the future, no? I think that I heard something similar in the past. Well, if this is right, this is evolution..
    Yes, Tynion said that the point of 'Tec was to move the characters into places where they could have their own books again. (As we've counted, without Batman, the cast of 'Tec has well over 500 solo issues between them) However, it's possible he was primarily just referring to Kate, and even more possible that these plans have changed given Kate's mediocre sales. (Much as it seems obvious that the 90's Bats would sell better)

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Maybe not one book for each character... But I think that Steph with Cass can make a good Comic for the two fanbases.
    Still unlikely, but should it happen, it definitely won't be happening for awhile. With confirmation that 'Orphan' is temporary, DC won't be launching a new book, only to have one of its main characters get a name change in a different book. (Although, with the half-way confirmation that Cassandra Cain-Wayne is returning to us eventually, they may spin a new book out of that event. Hmmmm)
    Last edited by Assam; 08-21-2017 at 10:13 AM.

I just don't think Tynion would do something to undermine Steph's relationship with Tim by making her relationship with Anarky romantic, especially when they've only just met (and people think they rushed back to TimxSteph).
    I desperately hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Yes, Tynion said that the point of 'Tec was to move the characters into places where they could have their own books again. (As we've counted, without Batman, the cast of 'Tec has well over 500 solo issues between them) However, it's possible he was primarily just referring to Kate, and even more possible that these plans have changed given Kate's mediocre sales. (Much as it seems obvious that the 90's Bats would sell better)

Still unlikely, but should it happen, it definitely won't be happening for awhile. With confirmation that 'Orphan' is temporary, DC won't be launching a new book, only to have one of its main characters get a name change in a different book. (Although, with the half-way confirmation that Cassandra Cain-Wayne is returning to us eventually, they may spin a new book out of that event. Hmmmm)
    I mean, I think Kate has the most recent solo. And the people in charge at DC are the same ones who caused the n52, so it's my guess that they cling to their obsession with not encouraging 90s fans. One day JT4 will be an editor, and he will hire us all, and we will do what is right!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I heard this in Cass appreciation but.. CONTRATULATIONS...

If Steph does not disappear for more than a year of the comics, I can wait for this..

For make certain changes the rebirth should end(less than 1 year).. Now they are busy for make new things and make these things work..

Extraordinary Member

If they really wanted to that, they should have kept the team smaller, with so many characters I doubt that it will work out.

I think they are anyway trying to push to many characters at the moment (not only in TEC, but also Duke, Gotham Girl and Catwoman in Batman). And I'm not sure if the are really having the right priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    If they really wanted to that, they should have kept the team smaller, with so many characters I doubt that it will work out.

I think they are anyway trying to push to many characters at the moment (not only in TEC, but also Duke, Gotham Girl and Catwoman in Batman). And I'm not sure if the are really having the right priorities.
    What would you think the right priorities are, out of curiosity?

When Tynion said "move the characters into places where they could have their own books" I'm not sure that really means he was pushing them to get those books.

In context ,seems more narratively speaking. Pulling Tim,Steph,Luke,Cass from the scrap heap and giving them "here's where this guy is now" stuff, which would make it easier for another writer to come in and launch a book about that character.

I really don't think that Tec is trying to push too many characters. I think the plotlines may be really ambitious - trying to find a way for Steph to be on the outside of the Batfamily without Bruce being a huge jerk, dealing with editorially mandated Tim Drake being gone, and launching Batwoman as a solo - and perhaps overreaching Tynion's execution ability, but I think if you have patience, all of the characters are being served and honored. I don't really love Duke, but I don't hate him either, and I like Gotham Girl and Selina, so I like that Batman isn't a loner in that title either. I do wish there was a bit more synergy between the titles, but that's always been a problem (well, at least since Snyder took over the Batbooks).

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    When Tynion said "move the characters into places where they could have their own books" I'm not sure that really means he was pushing them to get those books.

In context ,seems more narratively speaking. Pulling Tim,Steph,Luke,Cass from the scrap heap and giving them "here's where this guy is now" stuff, which would make it easier for another writer to come in and launch a book about that character.
    No, I think it was pretty clear that Tynion wants to build each of these characters to a point where enough people love them and will buy a solo for them. The problem is that the ones who are most likely to be able to are Tim, Steph, and Cass, in my opinion, and for reasons I outlined above, they decided to go with recency rather than history, and that worked well enough for Kate fans, but didn't grow her base very much, and didn't provide a good precedent for another very risky solo in the world where the smaller titles are treading water.

Clearly for us to have a Spoiler book, a Black Bat book, and a Red Robin book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

Clearly for us to have a Spoiler book, a Black Bat book, and a Red Robin book!
    And they'd all be bi-monthlies, with one of each solos's two issues a month having them crossover.

Extraordinary Member

I would have stared with fixing/pushing the characters that have already books, that were struggling with sales (so basically Barbara, Jason and Tim). And than probably focus on the next popular characters (probably Steph and Cass) and/or build up one of the new ones.

Otherwise they just end up with lots of books with sales close to the cancellation range.

I think it allready went wrong with the first Eternal, in stead of focussing on the already existing core Batfamily members (due to Dick and Damian being dead it was actually a good opportunity to give the other 3 some spotlight), they pushed a new character (Harper), reintroduced to older ones (Julia and Stephanie) and gave some cameos to relatively obscure characters (for example El Gaucho).

And instead than doing something with the "new" charcters, they directly introduced another new one (Duke) and brought back two other old ones (Cass and Jean-Paul).
    Last edited by Aahz; 08-21-2017 at 01:43 PM.

BANNED

I would have stared with fixing/pushing the characters that have already books, that were struggling with sales (so basically Barbara, Jason and Tim). And than probably focus on the next popular characters (probably Steph and Cass) and/or build up one of the new ones.

Otherwise they just end up with lots of books with sales close to the cancellation range.

I think it allready went wrong with the first Eternal, in stead of focussing on the already existing core Batfamily members (due to Dick and Damian being dead it was actually a good opportunity to give the other 3 some spotlight), they pushed a new character (Harper), reintroduced to older ones (Julia and Stephanie) and gave some cameos to relatively obscure characters (for example El Gaucho).

And instead than doing something with the "new" charcters, they directly introduced another new one (Duke) and brought back two other old ones (Cass and Jean-Paul).
    DC's mistake in the first place. If they hadn't screwed with the core BatFamily with the Nu52, they would have been able to spend more time on all of them. They wouldn't have had to waste time re-introducing Cass and Steph, Harper potentially wouldn't even exist (Millernumber1 will be trying to get a straight answer about that from Tynion next month) and without Harper's inception and failure to catch on, it's entirely possible Snyder wouldn't even have had the idea to do anything with Duke after Zero Year. As for JPV and Julia...well one's a supporting character, whatever, and much as I'm a fan of his, I was still surprised to see JPV come back.

So like, if they'd just left well enough alone....with the exception of introducing FakeBabs and the decision to push Jay as an anti-hero (Something which has really only started working with Rebirth) , because I don't want to rewrite history too much, then the first Eternal could have been a strong showing for Babs, Cass, Steph, Jason and Tim, simply also bringing Julia into play as a supporting player, and with Eternal, JPV could have been the big surprise reveal of the thing, but still only appearing briefly.

I don't think it's easy to make a living, breathing, family of Superheroes work anymore.

It's a testament to Dixon and co. that they were able to make it work as well as they did at the time.

And they'd all be bi-monthlies, with one of each solos's two issues a month having them crossover.
    No, no, they'd all be WEEKLIES, with TWO crossover issues a month!

Part of my problem with your assigning blame to Batman Eternal is that I wasn't reading almost literally any comics when it started, and it was my reintroduction to Gotham and DC and comics after three years. So to me, it felt like a pretty awesome world, where Tim, Babs, and Jason each had pretty great plotlines - Tim probably least, but his characterization was pretty great. But then, I really liked Harper and Julia. And Steph deserved to be brought back.