Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Part of my problem with your assigning blame to Batman Eternal is that I wasn't reading almost literally any comics when it started, and it was my reintroduction to Gotham and DC and comics after three years. So to me, it felt like a pretty awesome world, where Tim, Babs, and Jason each had pretty great plotlines - Tim probably least, but his characterization was pretty great. But then, I really liked Harper and Julia. And Steph deserved to be brought back.
    I don't think that Tims, Babs, and Jasons plotlines were particularly great.

Eternal was imo the first really big opportunity they had, to finaly explore and fix the relationship between the Batfamily members post flashpoint. And they completely failed to do that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Eternal was imo the first really big opportunity they had, to finaly explore and fix the relationship between the Batfamily members post flashpoint. And they completely failed to do that.
    Exactly what would be the point of fixing those three's relationships with two core members still two missing? Especially when you consider that all three of their books were s**t.

BANNED

DETECTIVE COMICS #969
    Written by JAMES TYNION IV
    Art by ALVARO MARTINEZ and RAUL FERNANDEZ
    Cover by EDDY BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA
    Variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “FALL OF THE BATMEN” part one! Everyone in Batman’s orbit is broken somehow—some more than others. For Clayface, keeping the pieces of his psyche together has been a years-long struggle…and it’s a war he may be about to lose! And as the team tries to pull itself back together, their enemies have learned something from Batman’s newfound spirit of cooperation…and have formed a cabal of their own!
    On sale NOVEMBER 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Welp, I was wrong. Fall of the Batmen IS going to be Basil's arc. Of course, we've been talking about the size of the team, and this is happening right after Tim and Steph are coming back into play sooooo....I'm scared. I don't want to lose him!

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Exactly what would be the point of fixing those three's relationships with two core members still two missing? Especially when you consider that all three of their books were s**t.
    Well I think it would be ideal for any Batfamily, even ones missing members, to be strong and have clearly-defined relationships with each other.

But that's just me...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Well, I liked the plotlines. I'm still sad that Jason/Babs went nowhere.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Their relationship was shown off in more issues. (Many, many more issues.) Not the same thing as being more developed.

I mean, if I had to choose between an Ex-Green Lantern who wanted to bring real change to the world and an ex-Robin with the current history Tim has? (We've seen nothing that says Nu52TT isn't canon anymore) Yeah, it's a pretty easy choice. Plus, Lonnie has/had a dog.
    I'd say the Tim/Steph was a good deal more developed mainly because of the many phases their relationship went through Pre-52, and not just on a romantic level.

BANNED

DETECTIVE COMICS #969
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “FALL OF THE BATMEN” part one! Everyone in Batman’s orbit is broken somehow—some more than others. For Clayface, keeping the pieces of his psyche together has been a years-long struggle…and it’s a war he may be about to lose! And as the team tries to pull itself back together, their enemies have learned something from Batman’s newfound spirit of cooperation…and have formed a cabal of their own!

Welp, I was wrong. Fall of the Batmen IS going to be Basil's arc. Of course, we've been talking about the size of the team, and this is happening right after Tim and Steph are coming back into play sooooo....I'm scared. I don't want to lose him!
    Sad, but inevitable. I was never expecting Clayface's good period to be permanent, so I can't complain as long as Tynion does an ok job.

Extraordinary Member

1. If you fix the relations of the existing members first, you later use more space to concentrate on the relations with the two members when you bring them back
    2. You can use events to set up new directions/villains/elemets for the charcters. The first Eternal did for Catwoman, Robin War for Nightwing and and the first arcs of rebirth TEC for Batwoman.

I'm still sad that Jason/Babs went nowhere.
    I still don't get why they did it in the first place. It would have been far more interesting if they explored a little their relation before TKJ and in between TKJ and DITF.
    Last edited by Aahz; 08-22-2017 at 06:54 AM.

I still don't get why they did it in the first place. It would have been far more interesting if they explored a little their relation before TKJ and in between TKJ and DITF.
    That's a dynamic I've always been kind of interested in, with an experienced, older, Batgirl working with a younger Robin.

We got that in B:TAS to some degree with Babs and Tim (who was Jason in all-but-name), and I guess even Steph and Damian as well.

Dunno why they did it. It felt mostly like Tim Seeley, I think, but I could be wrong. It was clear that the Burnside team and Lobdell had no interest in following it up, and Seeley was only writing Grayson at the time, so he didn't really have any way to push it further. I thought the way the romance developed very much did push the exploration of their relationship before TKJ, with Jason's memories of meeting Batgirl, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's a dynamic I've always been kind of interested in, with an experienced, older, Batgirl working with a younger Robin.

We got that in B:TAS to some degree with Babs and Tim (who was Jason in all-but-name), and I guess even Steph and Damian as well.
    Steph and Damian! Woohoo! Favorite Batgirl/Robin dynamic ever!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Steph and Damian! Woohoo! Favorite Batgirl/Robin dynamic ever!
    '

3rd for me at present time. Cass/Steph and Cass/Tim beat it out for me. Notice how NONE of these 3 relationships even exist right now.

DETECTIVE COMICS #969

At some point this had to happen.

Goodbye Basil, a big lose for Cass Cain.. The shakespeare scene was funny..
    Last edited by adrikito; 08-22-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I thought the way the romance developed very much did push the exploration of their relationship before TKJ, with Jason's memories of meeting Batgirl, etc.
    I'm the one flashback they did was very ambiguous, it was even really clear it wasn't really clear if Barbara was still active as Batgirl at the time (she retired before TKJ) or if that was even post TKJ.

3rd for me at present time. Cass/Steph and Cass/Tim beat it out for me. Notice how NONE of these 3 relationships even exist right now.
    Oh, I've noticed.

I'm the one flashback they did was very ambiguous, it was even really clear it wasn't really clear if Barbara was still active as Batgirl at the time (she retired before TKJ) or if that was even post TKJ.
    Mmm. I don't know if it's ever been clear in n52 or Rebirth continuity whether the retirement is still canon.

Extraordinary Member

Mmm. I don't know if it's ever been clear in n52 or Rebirth continuity whether the retirement is still canon.
    It is mentioned in the #0-issue. It is said that she was Batgirl for one year and than quit because she messed up (without giving any details) and started to concentrate on collage again before TKJ happened.

And at least imo it is for their relation important to somehow define in what order the different events happened (and that not even entire clear when you look at the original run due to crisis, how they changed Jason afterwards and because Jason didn't appear in TKJ).
    Last edited by Aahz; 08-22-2017 at 01:47 PM.