Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

More swerves that I didn't expect. 'Tec's been pretty good for that lately.

For anyone who's still anti-Steph, I think this issue could help bring them back around. She's mellowed out from her last appearance, and actually gives voice to the whole "she's acting just like Batman despite not liking his methods" thing. Big plus there.

Didn't expect to have a lot of Clayface time in this, but it was welcome. Reiterates a bunch of stuff about his condition, but now Dr. October is helping him out, as she offered to in "Intelligence". And they're dating! So he has another person in his core support network besides Batman and Cass. On a darker note, Batman's table of anti-Clayface weapons are almost certainly setups for "Fall of the Batmen."

Lonnie's plan was pretty nebulous until the final page, which is another thing I didn't see coming. That could cause some complications when Batman gets involved, which is a good thing dramatically speaking.
    Last edited by Caivu; 08-22-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Well, I'm still enjoying these excursion's to Steph's life outside of the team. Still no real sense of where she's living or providing for herself, but her voice and the flashback are delightful. spoilers:
    A hint of the triangle between her, Tim, and Lonnie near the end, but so far, no love connection is solidified.
    end of spoilers

I'm still really loving Carnero's art - there's a real sense of character in her expressions for Steph and Clayface, and she's gotten a lot more assured then when she was the fill-in artist replacing Russell Dauterman on Cyclops with Greg Rucka.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    More swerves that I didn't expect. 'Tec's been pretty good for that lately.

For anyone who's still anti-Steph, I think this issue could help bring them back around. She's mellowed out from her last appearance, and actually gives voice to the whole "she's acting just like Batman despite not liking his methods" thing. Big plus there.

Didn't expect to have a lot of Clayface time in this, but it was welcome. Reiterates a bunch of stuff about his condition, but now Dr. October is helping him out, as she offered to in "Intelligence". And they're dating! So he has another person in his core support network besides Batman and Cass. On a darker note, Batman's table of anti-Clayface weapons are almost certainly setups for "Fall of the Batmen."

Lonnie's plan was pretty nebulous until the final page, which is another thing I didn't see coming. That could cause some complications when Batman gets involved, which is a good thing dramatically speaking.
    You think they're dating? I didn't pick up on that, but it does make some sense.

I did like the way Steph directly addressed all the people who were like, "She's a massive hypocrite" back with 957. She knows she's being a hypocrite, but can't find a better way - and honestly, I don't see Lonnie providing more than talk, as she points out. Except for his hidden plan at the end, which...I'm really curious about, but think it's probably going to end in tears. Monster tears.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    You think they're dating? I didn't pick up on that, but it does make some sense.
    It does seem like they've gotten food together more than once, and the way Basil phrases some things makes it sound like he's asking Victoria out. If they're not dating, then there's at least a mutual attraction, I think.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member

Maybe Tynion reads these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    It does seem like they've gotten food together more than once, and the way Basil phrases some things makes it sound like he's asking Victoria out. If they're not dating, then there's at least a mutual attraction, I think.
    Interesting. It would make some sense, I just never would have thought of it. Clayface doesn't spend enough time as Basil for it to click in my mind, I guess.

Mighty Member

Why are these idiots taking pictures with their masks off? Still a whatever issue. Clayface is great and those Steph segments are slightly better because she is starting to notice that she is a giant idiot. I also didn't pick up they were dating myself.

BANNED

Okay, okay, this was pretty good. Basil's bits were great as always, even if they were a bit worrysome with the new solicits in mind. As far as him dating Victoria, I would be happy if that were the case for one reason: It'd piss off the creepy BasilCass shippers, particularly the ones who I'm positive don't even know that Cass used to be a bit older.

As for what I was most looking forward to/dreading? Eh. Pretty good. Sebela obviously doesn't know what's talking about quite as well as Grant did, but he wrote Lonnie pretty nicely. And the line where he mocked what's been done with the Anarky name, and in some cases, HIS name over many years? Brilliant. (Also, DC's war on gingers continues. Why do they hate gingers so much?!)

All that said, CURSE YOU CHRISTOPHER SEBELA! You lied to me and told me Cass would be in these "issues". PLURAL. Now I must become the Lounge Singer and dedicate my life to revenge! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

What? It's comic book law that if your name sounds like anything and someone mildly inconveniences you, you have to dedicate your life to revenge as a villain. Come on guys.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

So glad Clayface is finally getting some page time
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Always Rakzo

I don't buy this romance between Tim and Steph at all no matter how much Tynion tries to force it into the story, particularly because of how bluntly introduced it was at the beginning without any set-up and their scenes here don't manage to sell the idea either. I don't understand the point anyway since Steph has always been a better character when she's not so fixated on Tim (and her characterization in this run is a clear proof of that). Aside from it, it was a decent enough issue with an interesting premise.

Great art from Carnero.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Okay, okay, this was pretty good. Basil's bits were great as always, even if they were a bit worrysome with the new solicits in mind. As far as him dating Victoria, I would be happy if that were the case for one reason: It'd piss off the creepy BasilCass shippers, particularly the ones who I'm positive don't even know that Cass used to be a bit older.

As for what I was most looking forward to/dreading? Eh. Pretty good. Sebela obviously doesn't know what's talking about quite as well as Grant did, but he wrote Lonnie pretty nicely. And the line where he mocked what's been done with the Anarky name, and in some cases, HIS name over many years? Brilliant. (Also, DC's war on gingers continues. Why do they hate gingers so much?!)

All that said, CURSE YOU CHRISTOPHER SEBELA! You lied to me and told me Cass would be in these "issues". PLURAL. Now I must become the Lounge Singer and dedicate my life to revenge! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

What? It's comic book law that if your name sounds like anything and someone mildly inconveniences you, you have to dedicate your life to revenge as a villain. Come on guys.
    Oh, man, didn't know there were such creepy Basil Cass shipper. C'mon, peeps.

Did you talk to Sebela on twitter about Cass?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post

Did you talk to Sebela on twitter about Cass?
    Indeed I did. Asked him if we'd be getting any Cass and Steph moments and he said "All I can say is that Cass is in these issues."

That flashback at the beggining remind me to how Tim and Steph used to be in the Dixon era, granted is not the same, because she knows his identity and Tim seems a lot more accepting of her crime fighting habits, but close enought.

Otherwise, good issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    That flashback at the beggining remind me to how Tim and Steph used to be in the Dixon era, granted is not the same, because she knows his identity and Tim seems a lot more accepting of her crime fighting habits, but close enought.

Otherwise, good issue.
    Well, Steph knew his identity in the last 10 or so issues of that. It's probably a lot more like Tim and Steph during the Lewis era.

Clayface and October? Well, she'll probably treat him better then Ivy did .

I guess I can kind of see the chemistry between Steph and Lonnie in this issue but I just can't see it going anywhere without it feeling forced. Especially once Batman inevitably tells her that Tim's alive.