Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    SELF. HEALING. BUILDING!

It's f**king stupid that he built that, but he did. Toss in the "God of Prep" version of the character from the Red Robin solo, and he's really unchallenged in this regard.
    What's so bad about the self-healing part? Wasn't it just a fancy way to replace window panes?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was a cute scene, if not very sensible for vigilante's .
    Some people seem to forget that Tim and Steph are teenagers, and therefore should have a certain level of dumbness.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Mighty Member

SELF. HEALING. BUILDING!

It's f**king stupid that he built that, but he did. Toss in the "God of Prep" version of the character from the Red Robin solo, and he's really unchallenged in this regard.
    Oh lol I forgot about that. Either way it was a stupid move and I personally think ooc for Tim.

Why is everyone attacking Tim, when Steph is the one who is filming? Tim clearly says he is against the whole camera thing, but what should he do? Beat Steph to unconscious and then steal her phone?
    Last edited by shadowsgirl; 08-23-2017 at 07:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was a cute scene, if not very sensible for vigilante's .
    Tynion is very clearly romanticizing what Tim and Steph's relationship was like in the old days, but really thinking about it, of all his changes, personal shippings aside, I don't think I have a problem with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    What's so bad about the self-healing part?
    Tim's been really damn smart for a long time (As opposed to the above average kid with a lot of potential that he originally was), but having him be a tech genius, and specifically one who can design things like the Belfry, The Mud Room and the underground system both makes me lose my suspension of disbelief as someone whose familiar with this character, and makes you tilt your head and wonder why the Hell he'd need to go to college. What could ANYONE have to teach him in this field? I'd theorized previously that he may just want the college experience, but he seems to feel that, no, he could learn more. Like, does Tony Stark cross dimensions every Wednesday to teach a class here?

I can see it now: Screwing over your loved ones with technology 101
    Last edited by Assam; 08-23-2017 at 07:21 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsgirl View Post
    Why is everyone attacking Tim, when Steph is the one who is filming? Tim clearly says he is against the whole camera thing, but what should he do? Beat Steph to unconscious and then steal her phone?
    Well, that's what Cass would do . Not beat her, but nerve strike her.

However, this is Button Fu Tim we're talking about - he's probably got a button in his suit to wipe all phones.

Additionally, though they do bring up someone hacking Steph's phone, this is the world where only the barest minimum of protection is really given to secret identities. Steph almost always walked around without her mask before Tim died, and even here, she's constantly taking it off. I think that reading the world of Tynion's Tec as "super gritty realism where secret identities are THE MOST IMPORTANT thing" is...not really what's going on. It's a fun, superhero romp with some solid character work building the emotions. Details are there to enrich, but aren't nearly the focus that a writer like Rucka might put on them.

Tynion is very clearly romanticizing what Tim and Steph's relationship was like in the old days, but really thinking about it, of all his changes, personal shippings aside, I don't think I have a problem with this one.

Tim's been really damn smart for a long time (As opposed to the above average kid with a lot of potential that he originally was), but having him be a tech genius, and specifically one who can design things like the Belfry, The Mud Room and the underground system both makes me lose my suspension of disbelief as someone whose familiar with this character, and makes you tilt your head and wonder why the Hell he'd need to go to college. What could ANYONE have to teach him in this field? I'd theorized previously that he may just want the college experience, but he seems to feel that, no, he could learn more. Like, does Tony Stark cross dimensions every Wednesday to teach a class here?
    I mean, it's the same problem as Peter Parker struggling with school after designing webslingers. This is tech that's only for use in the superhero world, and doesn't interface with tech in the civilian world. Tynion came close to breaking that wall with The Victim Syndicate, where Luke give the GCPD a bunch of sci-fi weapons, but in general, there's that goofy wall between civilian life (like Tim going to college) and the Batman life (Tim building robots which build/retrofit massive buildings without anyone noticing). I generally find I can read Tec with that wall in place and no problems, but I can understand readers who don't like the wall.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

He seems to want to help people in more legal, non-vigilante ways, so to do that he'd need to get his existing skills accredited (that's exactly what Harper did, by taking electrical engineering courses even though she's a savant in such matters).

Feeling like he could learn more isn't really a problem; maybe he really can. But if not, that's a positive trait and shows wisdom and humility on his part.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

While I agree with that Tim is way too smart now, but it's not just a simple scholarship or something.

Mighty Member

Also I'm gonna say it: I'm not buying Tim/ Steph. Showing them after the fact really isn't doing much for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
    Also I'm gonna say it: I'm not buying Tim/ Steph. Showing them after the fact really isn't doing much for me.
    Yeah, you and I have discussed a few times now how many different better ways this run could have started. I'd be interested in learning if Tim needing to be off the board so early was an editorial mandate, or if Tynion really didn't see the need in re-establishing these characters and their relationships ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, that's what Cass would do. Not beat her, but nerve strike her.
    Heh, classic.

Yeah, you and I have discussed a few times now how many different better ways this run could have started. I'd be interested in learning if Tim needing to be off the board so early was an editorial mandate, or if Tynion really didn't see the need in re-establishing these characters and their relationships ASAP.
    http://ew.com/article/2016/09/14/det...-james-tynion/

Pretty decent issue that for once didn't have me annoyed me at Steph.
    My favorite characters of all time are Bruce Wayne and Dracula.

SELF. HEALING. BUILDING!

Tim is smart, no doubt. But if we're talking overall intelligence, including all fields, Batman is the clear winner. And I don't even think it's all that close.

I enjoyed this issue a lot more than the last Steph centric story. The Clayface part felt rather unnecesary and full of exposure. Still, I don't trust either Tynion nor Sebela writing Anarky, in fact, I trust few writers to do an Anarky that lives to, what I think to be, the character's potential. Hope they prove me wrong
    Last edited by Chubistian; 08-24-2017 at 05:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Tim is smart, no doubt. But if we're talking overall intelligence, including all fields, Batman is the clear winner. And I don't even think it's all that close.
    I just assumed when talking about the "Best in the Family" in any regard, apart from Cass's H2H, it was including everyone BUT Bruce since he's #1 amongst them at almost everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I enjoyed this issue a lot more than the last Steph centric story. The Clayface part felt rather unnecesary and full of exposure. Still, I don't trust either Tynion nor Sebela writing Anarky, in fact, I trust few writers to do an Anarky that lives to, what I think to be, the character's potential. Hope they prove me wrong
    I didn't expect either of these two to write Lonnie perfectly, but I also wouldn't expect that from basically anyone at DC. Alan Grant created a brilliant character, and no one has been able to even come close to what he did with him since. (I hardly think we'll see Tynion or Sebela writing speeches that legitimately open eyes to the world (As Grant did for me once upon a time) or having him participate in moral debates with Etrigan and Darkseid)