Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Saddest Stories of Our Time (Dropping a Title)

Not the saddest comics stories... I want to hear your personal stories... of dropping a title you love. A book you have enjoyed for a long time that has fallen off the rails.

For me it is Batman. It was the first comic I ever owned (my uncle gave me Batman 489) and the first book I bought off the rack (Batman 523 I think). Detective was excellent. I think it was around the time Snyder had his first run with Jock. This is around the time of Reborn when Morrison was killing it on Batman and Robin. The Batman book had a couple Judd Winnick issues that were good then Tony Daniel took over the writing duties. His art is absolutely beautiful but I'm not a fan of his writing. I stopped buying them... I almost shed a tear that day.

What are your stories? When the book you love so much got so bad you can't take it anymore.

For me it's easily when Lobdell was on Teen Titans.

You know, TT has been my little favorite piece of DC entertainment for literally decades but i just ended up dropping the book anyway. That's how bad that title was.

A dark time indeed for the team. Who would have thought that the worst villain the Teen Titans have to face wasn't Trigon, nor Slade or Brother Blood, no, but poor ol' Scott.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

A dark time indeed for the team. Who would have thought that the worst villain the Teen Titans have to face wasn't Trigon, nor Slade or Brother Blood, no, but poor ol' Scott.
    When it comes to the Titans, writers and editors have been their greatest enemy for a long time: Andrew Helfer, Dan DiDio, Geoff Johns, whoever the f**k thought that the demonic Wonder Dog was a good idea, Lobdell, etc.

Beechen on Cass Cain until the reboot.

Lobdell on Titans

Finches on Wonder Woman

I'll go with some recents tearjerkers....

The Harley Quinn writers
    Hitch on Justice League (why do you have to treat me like that Bryan )

Suicide Squad.....reading it makes me cry

In the 90's I LOVED JLI ... then Breakdowns happened and the book with Dan Jurgans at the helm ... with Superman, Beetle & Booster ... and Fire & Ice ... and it was AWFUL. FLat characterisations and storylines ... not to mention how horrid JLEurope was (i think with Gerard Jones)

My 2 favourite books, down the drain!!!

BANNED

Finch's on Wonder Woman, we just had 35 issues of brilliance from Azzarello and his artists and as his successor, we get a noob writer so we could also get her 'superstar' artist husband and the result was a Wonder Woman that looked like she suffered from reverse aging, a Wonder Woman that was written as thick as a paving slab, a support-cast that was mauled beyond recognition and a methodical undoing of everything Azzarello had done... I stopped buying after the initial 'Donna is now evil' story.

Green Arrow. He is in my top three favorite DC characters I have collected from Grell up to brightest day. Brightest day for me was when the book started going downhill. I tolerated the rise and fall crap but I have rarely returned since. Brightest day was dull, the new 52 was not Green Arrow at all, and I am not a fan of Percy. I will give props to Percy for bringing back Black Canary, the goatee, etc but I am not a fan of his writing.

This will always be my Arrow family. Hopefully one day we will get to see them all in a book again.

IMG_1753.jpg

I was saddened to drop so many titles a year into the New 52 after having read them (their previous volumes) through thick and thin for almost 40 years. Superman, Flash, Green Arrow, Teen Titans...I started buying only about half the titles I was getting prior to the New 52.

I think dropping Teen Titans was the hardest, but a couple months later I had no regrets dropping ANY of them. I had zero interest in them or the characters. As of Rebirth, I've begun reading more and more series but the one character I've yet to follow again is the Flash. I read the issues where Nu Wally was introduced and thought they were ok, read the recent Watchman "button" issues and the one where Wally meets Wally...but I just can't get into this Barry Allen. FLASH was one of the first comics I picked up--early in 1974--so there's a glaring hole on my subscription list that DC has yet to (re-)fill.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post
    In the 90's I LOVED JLI ... then Breakdowns happened and the book with Dan Jurgans at the helm ... with Superman, Beetle & Booster ... and Fire & Ice ... and it was AWFUL. FLat characterisations and storylines ... not to mention how horrid JLEurope was (i think with Gerard Jones)

I completely agree. That was a great book.

Quote Originally Posted by hotroddii View Post

I agree. I like Jurgens but that wasn't a very good book.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I agree. I like Jurgens but that wasn't a very good book.
    Jurgens attitude was basically, "PEOPLE LIKE SUPERMAN! SCREW EVERYONE ELSE!"

Know I just realized that all 3 of my favorite teams had horrible endings. (Reboot Legion, Young Justice, JLI)

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Green Arrow. He is in my top three favorite DC characters I have collected from Grell up to brightest day. Brightest day for me was when the book started going downhill. I tolerated the rise and fall crap but I have rarely returned since. Brightest day was dull, the new 52 was not Green Arrow at all, and I am not a fan of Percy. I will give props to Percy for bringing back Black Canary, the goatee, etc but I am not a fan of his writing.

This will always be my Arrow family. Hopefully one day we will get to see them all in a book again.

IMG_1753.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Jurgens attitude was basically, "PEOPLE LIKE SUPERMAN! SCREW EVERYONE ELSE!"

Know I just realized that all 3 of my favorite teams had horrible endings. (Reboot Legion, Young Justice, JLI)
    It was just so jarring. Like there was no transition period. It goes from fun to SERIOUS immidiately.

J.H. Williams and W. Haden Blackman dropping out of Batwoman because of editor disagreements. Made me drop the book and then it got canceled. Thankfully the new series is pretty good so far but that original run was just so magical.