Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

To be fair. The Lone Ranger suffered big time.

I was reading a article on Comicbook.com that wondered if Doctor Strange would be a horror movie given director Scott Derrickson's film record with things like the Exocirism of Emily Rose and Deliver us from Evil. I honestly think that's a valid question given that Doctor Strange deals with demons and Dark magic. Any thoughts on this?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/18...-horror-movie/
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Marvel make films aimed at as wide an audience as possible. That means action, humour, big special-effect driven set pieces, a touch of romance, and a bunch of good-looking people. This is their formula, it has made them money in the past, they won't be looking to switch gears now.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Horror elements, sure. But I think The DS film will be more dark fantasy than horror. I could be wrong given this age of PG rated horror, but I suspect the powers that be will play it safe, especially if GotG is not a monster hit.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

My question would be: does Strange wear the Cloak of Levitation, or is he trenchcoating it?

Extraordinary Member

He wears it! ;D

Bypass the origin or tell it in brief flashbacks. I don't want to see a film where he only becomes "fully powered" and active in the climax.

There should be a human villain. I'm not interested in giant demons and floating cloud-heads (see: green lantern) as the villain. No Dormammu this time, thanks. If he's eventually done, I really don't care about the flame-face aspect.

If there's a love interest, make her a human woman. I'm not hung up on Clea.

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Fantastic Member

I think one of the biggest reasons I think Strange is getting a movie is to open up the multi-verse, so I kind of hope to have Dormammu lurking in the background. I think they might even take a page out of the New Avengers Annual that just came out, where something in the present reminds him of something in the past, and his origin is told in that manner. I can totally see it being Mordo, who was a sycophant of Dormammu's, as being his present nemesis, and historically his first bad guy. Marvel has certain high level villains, and unless they plan on using Thanos forever, and ever, they need to have other big bads hanging out.

There will be a love interest, because it wouldn't be a superhero movie without one, and Clea is his most long-standing beloved. They could have it where she is living on Earth under the protection of the Ancient One, and Strange doesn't even realize she is alien until much, much later. Since this is an introduction of magic to the MCU I think they will give a taste, but not a huge amount, so not to scare off the people trying it out. Marvel has done a good job being true to characters, so I am going to trust them on doing right by Strange.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    We may just find out late tomorrow night.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Horror elements, sure. But I think The DS film will be more dark fantasy than horror. I could be wrong given this age of PG rated horror, but I suspect the powers that be will play it safe, especially if GotG is not a monster hit.
    I actually don't think anyone really expects GotG to be a monster hit, at least not at Marvel Studios. They probably expect it to make its money back but anything else is just gravy.

Please not Cumberbatch. Anyone but Cumberbatch.

I'd rather they go with a lesser known and avoid the problem they have with RDJ. That being them eventually making an Avengers movie and having one actor asking for a ton of money while the other actors get a fraction, resulting in that actor's character being the main focus to justify his paycheck. If they ever decide to do a Midnight Sons movie or have Strange join the Avengers, they could avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post
    Please not Cumberbatch. Anyone but Cumberbatch.

I'd rather they go with a lesser known and avoid the problem they have with RDJ. That being them eventually making an Avengers movie and having one actor asking for a ton of money while the other actors get a fraction, resulting in that actor's character being the main focus to justify his paycheck. If they ever decide to do a Midnight Sons movie or have Strange join the Avengers, they could avoid that.
    It won't be Cumberbatch. He made some sort of announcement about it yesterday saying he thought it would be a lovely opportunity but alas he has a scheduling conflict.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Last edited by KurtW95; 07-25-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Adrian Brody would be my ideal casting for a Dr. Strange movie.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman