Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Technically this thread is asking for opinions about Titans. The other one is to talk about both Titans teams, Teen and otherwise.
    Ah, thanks! I was confused as to what this thread was about. I wanted to talk about the newest Teen Titans solicit, but didn't know which thread was the correct one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I loved seeing Vic with the other Titans again .
    It is really great to see Vic, Wally, Kory, and Gar all on the same team again. Sigh....how did we get to the point where the Titans from an alternate reality feel more like the real Titans than the ones currently starring in the main DCU books?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    I've got a feeling you would disagree, Outside85 (I know that you are a huge Raven fan, and I am assuming your a Nightwing/Raven fan?). It's alright, everyone has their own opinions.
    Well, thats a pairing that makes much more sense to me than pairing her with Gar... in the cartoons atleast, I am not sure about comics due to the tweaked personalities.

I know why people find the Rae/BB thing cute (opposites attract)... but it's not something I agree with automatically working. Like Raven's an introvert who's constantly performing a high-risk balancing act due to her powers, what she wants and needs the least is an adrenalin-fuelled chimp that's constantly shouting her in the ear or poking the wire she is walking on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought it was Raven but the face looks a little more like Donna.
    I am leaning towards it being Raven, for one the group is otherwise Starfire, Cyborg, a Flash and Beastboy so Raven being the last one does make certain kind of sense, it's a cartoon reunion.

Secondly I think this is Higgings making a little nod to the old cartoon, where Robin did describe Raven as the most hopeful person he ever met. And here we have a person with a hood thats a hope-lantern...

(Plus I could say I dont think we can put anything into how their faces look, for one thing Starfire looks like she is out of Motorcrush and Beastboy looks like Sabretooth and this is an alternate future, so the current crop of Titans would have grown up by now.)

Edit: Just looking at Higgins Twitter and it turns out we are all wrong, it's not Donna and it's not Raven... it's Lois Lane... for a moment I was really excited and now it's gone again.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 08-21-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Addition

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if they made Gar gay or bi, then at least that aspect of his character could be retconned as overcompensation for discomfort with his sexuality. It's probably way too late for that, especially since his relationships with Raven and Terra have been so solidified in the canon. But it would have been pretty cool and daring if Wolfman had gone that route back in the 80s.
    At least if we are going by the Wolfman Titans, Garth behaviour is for a good part him trying cope with all the tragic that happened in his life (death of his parents, death of the Doom Patrol, him being a green freak, his not so great live at home with his adopted father), I don't think that you really have add more to this.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Considering it only appeared once to torment Mal from beyond the veil of space and time, I wouldn't say the Antithesis in it's revamped form was any good, just less crap that it had been. Mr. Twister certainly got a lot better with Titans Hunt... but pardon me for pointing out he was sort of defeated by everyone going: "We aren't the carebears any more! Except you Hank!"

Because they have very low ambitions ('get rich' usually covers it), the members are hardly that imposing and because they usually catch all kinds of flack from other villains about how poor or stupid they are.

Thats not really a point in her favor, because Villainy Inc is a bit in the same boat as the Fearsome Five in terms of reputation. Plus this is the Jinx I think most people just wishes would get reinvented into her cartoon version... because that version was fun, had charm and a redeeming story to back her up, whereas the comic Jinx only has that she's from India and a bald head.

Because Go! has it's own charms and sense of humor thats quite good if you can get past that it's not supposed to be a continuation of the old show or aimed at the same audience as it.

But thats not what he is talking about, in the original cartoon... with the help of Kid Flash Jinx left the Hive Five behind, the given reason was that she was tired of loosing, but the real reason was more likely that Wally had charmed her pants off.

I'm not saying that you're lying, just that I've never ready any stories where any heroes or villains made fun of the Fearsome Five(except for Dr. Light) and if losing makes them losers then they are equivalent to just about every other super-villain out there and have joined the ranks alongside Luthor, Joker, Circe, Darkseid, and Brother Blood.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm not saying that you're lying, just that I've never ready any stories where any heroes or villains made fun of the Fearsome Five(except for Dr. Light) and if losing makes them losers then they are equivalent to just about every other super-villain out there and have joined the ranks alongside Luthor, Joker, Circe, Darkseid, and Brother Blood.
    Those guys require a lot of effort to beat and have scored some major victories (like Joker killing Jason Todd and Circe (temporarily) killing Diana. The Five, like I said, are basically the DC equivalent of Team Rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Those guys require a lot of effort to beat and have scored some major victories (like Joker killing Jason Todd and Circe (temporarily) killing Diana. The Five, like I said, are basically the DC equivalent of Team Rocket.

I don't think it took all that much effort for the Joker to beat a teenage boy to death with a crowbar. I'm pretty certain that Mammoth could do the same with his bare hands if he wanted to.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I don't think it took all that much effort for the Joker to beat a teenage boy to death with a crowbar. I'm pretty certain that Mammoth could do the same with his bare hands if he wanted to.
    And yet, he hasn't.

BANNED

No, see, there is a difference between what happens to Luthor and the others you mention and what happens to the Fearsome Five:

-Luthor & Co. are defeated in the end, but very often they have had victories leading up to it and quite often they manage to get away rather than go to jail.

-What the Five do is show up at some place to do one thing, get confronted while doing it and then generally tends to loose.

And as Agent Z notes, asides for a much later Dr. Light, the group isn't exactly what you would call infamous or known for anything spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And yet, he hasn't.

I'm 99.9% sure that's due to editorial dictation and not any sort of a lacking in Mammoth's abilities.

BANNED

I'm 99.9% sure that's due to editorial dictation and not any sort of a lacking in Mammoth's abilities.
    Considering Mammoth is for the most part highly dependent on his sister doing the thinking for him, him not achieving anything spectacular is perhaps not as weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Considering Mammoth is for the most part highly dependent on his sister doing the thinking for him, him not achieving anything spectacular is perhaps not as weird.

While Mammoth isn't an intellectual powerhouse, I'd say he gets the message pretty clearly when Shimmer or Psimon tell him to "destroy" or "kill". Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the Fearsome Five are the best villain group ever but they're hardly the evil version of the Inferior Five or the Great Lakes Avengers.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 08-23-2017 at 03:02 PM.

BANNED

While Mammoth isn't an intellectual powerhouse, I'd say he gets the message pretty clearly when Shimmer or Psimon tell him to "destroy" or "kill". Don't get me wrong here, I don't think the Fearsome Five are the best villainy group ever but they're hardly the evil version of the Inferior Five or the Great Lakes Avengers.
    Actually they would be a pretty good comparison, a mixed bag of characters often undone by their own incompetence.