Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Doomsday Clock and Metal

According to Bleeding Cool, (Here's the link https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...mber-2017-far/), the highly anticipated event Doomsday Clock will start it's first issue this November, and I assume another big event DC is publishing, Dark Nights Metal, will continue into the month of April. Is it a good idea for DC to publish two high profile event comics simultaneously?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 08-21-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    According to Bleeding Cool, (Here's the link https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...mber-2017-far/), the highly anticipated event Doomsday Clock will start it's first issue this November, and I assume another big event DC is publishing, Dark Nights Metal, will continue into the month of April. Is it a good idea for DC to publish two high profile event comics simultaneously?
    I have no idea, but at this point, I'm getting jaded if not annoyed by all this.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

I thought Doomsday Clock was scheduled for early 2018, not late 2017. I forget. Was Doomsday Clock supposed to come out in 2017?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

April? Really? I knew it looked like it had a lot of titles attached to it but Metal does not seem like it has a compelling enough story to last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    April? Really? I knew it looked like it had a lot of titles attached to it but Metal does not seem like it has a compelling enough story to last that long.
    Well, from what I've read of Metal so far, it has compelled me a lot, and it seems to have a generally warm reception currently with comic fans, and I think a focus on Doomsday Clock, would rapidly quell the hype for the Dark Nights Metal event. Seems like a bad business move on DC's part, in my opinion. The only reason for why DC would do something like this would be to speed up the releases of the Rebirth LoSH & JSA books, which would be released after Doomsday Clock, ideally.

Iirc, last issue of Metal is scheduled for February. One main event book a month. Iirc, there's also no Metal main event book for November. Just tie-ins and one-shots.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

I'm just annoyed Metal is going to be crossing over into other titles. Its looking to get really lame really fast, so I wish it was stand-alone like Doomsday Clock. I have hopes for the latter, but if its bad at least I won't have to suffer it elsewhere. How long are we going to have to deal with stupid multiple Batmen in other titles? I thought the Batwanking days were over. Guess I thought way wrong now that Scott Snyder is here to gary stu the character and mythos to unknown heights and shove it down everyone's throats.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm just annoyed Metal is going to be crossing over into other titles. Its looking to get really lame really fast, so I wish it was stand-alone like Doomsday Clock. I have hopes for the latter, but if its bad at least I won't have to suffer it elsewhere. How long are we going to have to deal with stupid multiple Batmen in other titles? I thought the Batwanking days were over. Guess I thought way wrong now that Scott Snyder is here to gary stu the character and mythos to unknown heights and shove it down everyone's throats.
    Wasn't it one issue each of Teen Titans, Suicide Squad, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Flash and Hal Jordan, and two issues of Justice League? Then the evil Batmen are mostly in just the various, entirely skippable one-shots.

Granted, only thing I'm following there is Teen Titans so I'm not heavily affected.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Oh yep, I misread, it was sounding almost like they were extending the series. If the original checklist is still all there is I'm less annoyed. Still think these dark Batmen though are pretty damn stupid.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Iirc, last issue of Metal is scheduled for February. One main event book a month. Iirc, there's also no Metal main event book for November. Just tie-ins and one-shots.
    Well, there are plenty of months where Doomsday Clock will intersect with Metal.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Marvel is doing this with Secret Empire and Generations and then they're planning on sitting out on events for two full years entirely.

Maybe DC is thinking the same thing? These two companies are incredibly symbiotic with one another.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Marvel is doing this with Secret Empire and Generations and then they're planning on sitting out on events for two full years entirely.

Maybe DC is thinking the same thing? These two companies are incredibly symbiotic with one another.
    Hmm, three months overlap at $9 per month. After spending $130 on Secret Empire and the Spencer Cap tie-ins, I find myself quite forgiving of DC's events.

Granted, I'm kinda treating Doomsday Clock more like a limited series ala-Mister Miracle rather than an event. Going digital on these so if I do get Metal, that would be mostly impulse purchases. I'm actually still undecided if I wanna go along for the ride.
    Currently Following:

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Very lame that these events are overlapping. Metal was a fun summer event, no need to cram it.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post

I strongly disagree. I think Marvel has essentially been following DC for the past couple of years.

Marvel copied DC's New Fifty Two with Marvel NOW!.

Marvel made they're comics more "hipsterish", after DC had done the same thing with their DCYOU initiative.

After the sales slump, of some of their recent decisions, Marvel has rolled out the Marvel Legacy initiative, which is essentially the same thing as DC Rebirth

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I strongly disagree. I think Marvel has essentially been following DC for the past couple of years.

Marvel copied DC's New Fifty Two with Marvel NOW!.

Marvel made they're comics more "hipsterish", after DC had done the same thing with their DCYOU initiative.

After the sales slump, of some of their recent decisions, Marvel has rolled out the Marvel Legacy initiative, which is essentially the same thing as DC Rebirth
    I wasn't saying that DC had a history of copying Marvel. I was saying that the two company's had a history of symbiotic relationships with one another - which is true.

I think that they have both copied and followed one another in the past few years in general, it really does go both ways. I mean, the Justice League film even courted Joss Whedon as it's replacement director.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey