Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    When was the last time anyone cared about Gnaark? About a year ago, when he was revamped in Titans Hunt.
    Well, i like gnarrk, and i'm intrigued by this new identity of his; one of the few things about this book i actually like. Tempest and bumblebee are okay, but this overblown hunt for her missing memories is getting tiresome. Not really interested in the team romances, or who the traitor is; kid flash's medical crisis really hasn't seemed to slow him down much, so what was the point?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    kid flash's
    Please don't refer to Wally like that.

Mighty Member

Yeah, I think that the infighting and romances that are characterizing the current arc are the problem. It's just not as interesting as when the team was getting along earlier in the series. The drama feels forced and unnatural when what made this group so compelling initially was the bond they shared as friends. Hopefully, the next arc will get back to this group working together against outside threats.

Y'know all this Fab Five vs. New Teen Titans talk has reminded me how even the Teen Titans cartoon, who's base roster was very reminiscent of the New Teen Titans, still prominently featured and spotlighted the rest of the Fab Four (Donna was off-limits).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know all this Fab Five vs. New Teen Titans talk has reminded me how even the Teen Titans cartoon, who's base roster was very reminiscent of the New Teen Titans, still prominently featured and spotlighted the rest of the Fab Four (Donna was off-limits).
    You know, while I prefer Raven, Vic and Gar on the animated show in every way to their comic counterparts (They'd honestly rank among my favorites I think if they acted like this in the comics), I didn't much care the personalities they gave Garth and Roy once they joined Titans East (I really liked them in their first appearances though), though I will say that I always liked their designs. Wally may not have shown up until the end, but he WAS awesome, thanks to his JL VA and the only reason to watch Smallville, Michael Rosenbaum. (I love him so much)

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I know you don't care much for the era, but it's still considered by the majority to be the peak of the franchise, and the characters introduced in that era (Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Beast Boy being brought in) are the most successful in other media outside of Dick. It doesn't make sense to NOT include them if the Titans property needs to continue. I think it's pretty telling that the adaptations always use them or rehash stories from that time period.

Not that the comics rehashing every detail from that period would work either, which is why some new heroes and villains would be welcomed as well. Just because we want to see that team doesn't mean we want to see them in some variation of the Titans Tower and dealing with the Fearsome Five, Cheshire and the billionth traitor in their ranks yet again either. Maybe an epic Trigon event would be welcome because he hasn't been used since pre-Crisis, but beyond that let's see some legitimately new stuff,

The problem with the New Teen Titans era and the characters that Wolfman introduced during then was that Wolfman recycled the same stories for those characters making those characters seem like not much new could be done with them. Starfire longed to protect her home planet only to see it enslaved or destroyed, Cyborg longed to become more human only to become more inhuman, and Raven longed to be rid of her father's influence only to become more like him. These same stories seemed like they were on wash, rinse, and repeat for so long that I could care less if I ever see these three characters again. Then you had other new characters introduced with very dated designs and little else to keep them standing like Kole, Jericho, and Danny Chase. The New Teen Titans were a huge success in the 80s but they grew stale in the 90s. The best things to come out of Wolfman's run were the villains he introduced such as Deathstroke, the Fearsome Five, and the Wildbeast Society.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    You know, while I prefer Raven, Vic and Gar on the animated show in every way to their comic counterparts (They'd honestly rank among my favorites I think if they acted like this in the comics), I didn't much care the personalities they gave Garth and Roy once they joined Titans East (I really liked them in their first appearances though), though I will say that I always liked their designs. Wally may not have shown up until the end, but he WAS awesome, thanks to his JL VA and the only reason to watch Smallville, Michael Rosenbaum. (I love him so much)
    I enjoyed the cartoon takes quite a bit though I also enjoy them all in the comics as well .

Rosenabum was a pretty awesome Wally (both as Flash and Kid Flash), even if I sometimes associate Jason Spisak with the role more.

(I also thought Titans East was fun).

Mighty Member

Rosenbaum is great as Wally. I love the layers and complexity he brought to the character and he was what really made me a fan of Wally West.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

It's an average title I buy simply because it features Wally West.
    My love for the character knows no bounds, but damn, even I almost dropped the book after reading the Lazarus Contract.

I don't know what it is exactly, but all the characters feel a little.... off. Garth in particular is getting short changed.
    Maybe another writer should take a swing at it and see what they can do, which is a shame as Abnett has written some great stuff in the past.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

It started off OK and I enjoyed it for a while just because it was nice to have the real Wally West back but this is not, in any way shape or form a good book. It's angsty to the point of silliness and the stories, simple as they are, are all drawn out excessively by far too many unbelievably boring "action" scenes - which are made all the worse by just how awful Brett Booth's art is. It's been 14 issues of really not very much happening with the characters being written relatively faithfully but with all their negative aspects brought to the front that it's hard to like any of them.

It has so far had a grand total of one genuinely good issue - Wally meeting Superman with art by Lee Weeks but it's mostly just been boring, annoying and incredibly badly drawn. A lot of the blame for the series definitely falls on Booth's shoulders - I seriously don't get how people like his ugly, cluttered style in the slightest - but Abnett is capable of so much better than this. Hard to believe that this is by the same guy who co-wrote Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I've dropped it as of issue 14 and, frankly, I don't know what took me so long.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    When was the last time anyone cared about Gnaark? About a year ago, when he was revamped in Titans Hunt.
    And the pulse of his fandom gave a bleep or two then became still once more

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The problem with the New Teen Titans era and the characters that Wolfman introduced during then was that Wolfman recycled the same stories for those characters making those characters seem like not much new could be done with them.
    I always find this argument pretty odd, because it's placing the blame for poorly done stories on the characters as if they write themselves into these things. And I find it especially odd when we are in a medium where characters can be twice as old as these and still punching the same villains in the face to the enjoyment of all for about 80 years.

Starfire longed to protect her home planet only to see it enslaved or destroyed, Cyborg longed to become more human only to become more inhuman, and Raven longed to be rid of her father's influence only to become more like him. These same stories seemed like they were on wash, rinse, and repeat for so long that I could care less if I ever see these three characters again.
    It sounds to me you only read the last 30 or so issues of NTT where all of that did happen, but actually didn't in the preceding 100 issues.

Then you had other new characters introduced with very dated designs and little else to keep them standing like Kole, Jericho, and Danny Chase. The New Teen Titans were a huge success in the 80s but they grew stale in the 90s.
    Kola and Jericho however were both built to do very specific jobs:
    -Kole was created so Wolfman did not have to kill someone that mattered in COIE
    -Jericho was created that way so Perez could flex his artistic muscles.
    And while Kole has remained dead and gone, Jericho has only since gotten worse with each new version of him.

And ofc Danny Chase... the redheaded stepchild of the Titans... nuff said about this misfire.

The best things to come out of Wolfman's run were the villains he introduced such as Deathstroke, the Fearsome Five, and the Wildbeast Society.
    Ehh... I'd argue that if you have a hard time caring for the new additions to the Titans in the guise of Raven, Cyborg and Starfire... then you will have an even bigger problem with the Fearsome Five, which is sort of a joke villain squad and the Wildebeest Society has all but vanished after NTT stopped. We did however get Deathstroke, Brother Blood, Trigon, the HIVE and an extended lease on life for the Brotherhood of Evil.

Plus by comparison, the NTT era was a proverbial goldmine when it came to villains if compared to the previous era that coughed up duds like Ding Dong Daddy, Antithesis and Mr Twister.

It's stale but by no means terrible. I also love the line up, happy to see more classic characters instead of the NTT characters I grew tired of. Sales prove NTT trio isn't comparable to Dick-Donna-Wally trinity.

Hopefully once this arc is done with, the book can be put back on track again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    It's stale but by no means terrible. I also love the line up, happy to see more classic characters instead of the NTT characters I grew tired of. Sales prove NTT trio isn't comparable to Dick-Donna-Wally trinity.
    Thats a funny joke.

Titans sales are proof enough. People are fine with the line up. I love Lilith, Garth, Bumblebee's new design rocks and she's adorable, I can't wait for more Gnaark. It's old but it modernizes thrown away stuff very well to a point you could say it's fresh.

I'm going to take these additions over Starfire and Dick drama, Gar sexually harassing others for "laughs" and Raven moping about her father.

Do I like the recent arc? No far from it. But I will still prefer to Damian's team. Hopefully this was a hiccup because of Priest's story choices and everything will return to form again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Titans sales are proof enough. People are fine with the line up. I love Lilith, Garth, Bumblebee's new design rocks and she's adorable, I can't wait for more Gnaark. It's old but it modernizes thrown away stuff very well to a point you could say it's fresh.

I'm going to take these additions over Starfire and Dick drama, Gar sexually harassing others for "laughs" and Raven moping about her father.
    Of what? That one book is in a slump while another is doing a little better? Thats not a good argument.

Thats fine, you can keep them, and maybe one day they might have story worth telling to their names

Do I like the recent arc? No far from it. But I will still prefer to Damian's team. Hopefully this was a hiccup because of Priest's story choices and everything will return to form again.
    Form it never had. Titans Hunt was much better because it had a clear beginning, middle and end... Titans on the other hand has been meandering around Wally for most of the time since, it's selling itself on what it could be, not what it is.