Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

No one gave two shits about Gnaark's revamped in Titans Hunt. Think it was just happenstance that he was left off of the initial team and they are only now trying to sneak him back in.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-21-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Sales prove NTT trio isn't comparable to Dick-Donna-Wally trinity.
    You are comparing Beast Boy, Raven and Starfire to Dick, Wally and Donna? That isn't a far comparison. Dick and Wally are very poplar characters that had decades of carrying solo books. You can drop Donna from the Dick and Wally "trinity" as it really is more of a duo. Donna isn't on their level, especially the current version that is just terrible.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    And the pulse of his fandom gave a bleep or two then became still once more

I always find this argument pretty odd, because it's placing the blame for poorly done stories on the characters as if they write themselves into these things. And I find it especially odd when we are in a medium where characters can be twice as old as these and still punching the same villains in the face to the enjoyment of all for about 80 years.

It sounds to me you only read the last 30 or so issues of NTT where all of that did happen, but actually didn't in the preceding 100 issues.

Kola and Jericho however were both built to do very specific jobs:
    -Kole was created so Wolfman did not have to kill someone that mattered in COIE
    -Jericho was created that way so Perez could flex his artistic muscles.
    And while Kole has remained dead and gone, Jericho has only since gotten worse with each new version of him.

And ofc Danny Chase... the redheaded stepchild of the Titans... nuff said about this misfire.

Ehh... I'd argue that if you have a hard time caring for the new additions to the Titans in the guise of Raven, Cyborg and Starfire... then you will have an even bigger problem with the Fearsome Five, which is sort of a joke villain squad and the Wildebeest Society has all but vanished after NTT stopped. We did however get Deathstroke, Brother Blood, Trigon, the HIVE and an extended lease on life for the Brotherhood of Evil.

Plus by comparison, the NTT era was a proverbial goldmine when it came to villains if compared to the previous era that coughed up duds like Ding Dong Daddy, Antithesis and Mr Twister.

I'll agree that the previous version of the Titans didn't have any great villains until Wolfman revamped the Antithesis and then Mr. Twister was made cool in Titans Hunt but those were both decades after the characters were introduced. I'm not sure why you think of the Fearsome Five as jokes since they've been around for a quite a while and caused both the Titans and Superman trouble over the decades. Jinx even joined Queen Clea's Villainy Inc. in Jimenez run on Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'll agree that the previous version of the Titans didn't have any great villains until Wolfman revamped the Antithesis and then Mr. Twister was made cool in Titans Hunt but those were both decades after the characters were introduced. I'm not sure why you think of the Fearsome Five as jokes since they've been around for a quite a while and caused both the Titans and Superman trouble over the decades. Jinx even joined Queen Clea's Villainy Inc. in Jimenez run on Wonder Woman.
    The Fearsome Five cause trouble in the same way Team Rocket causes trouble. These guys have never been the deadliest villains around for the Titans. Hell, the cartoon had Jinx quit the team partly because she was tired of being the losing side

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The NTT lineup should be used as a basis (with Gar and Raven being the age they are meant to be),
    At least the age diffence between Gar and the fab5 is roughly the same as during the NTT (I think they have all now roughly the ages they had during the end of the Wolfman run, Gar is maybe a year younger). The difference is now just that the difference between the fab5 and the YJ4 is way smaller, so that Gar is now roughly the same age as them and not roughly 4 years older (and that other for example Jason Todd is suddenly almost the same age as the fab5).

This was a great idea for a thread. It's nice not to have to dig through an appreciation thread that's designed to encompass all things Titans.

My main problem with this book is that it's coasting on the characters old relationships and poor characterisation. Dick is a bland generic leader and we're being treated to yet another Bat character behaving like a jerk arc, up until the last issue Garth was a generic strong man. Donna and Roy are shadows of their former selves. Donna especially, she has zero personality and is being used as a plot device to create conflict between Wally and Roy. I quite like Omen and Bumble bee. Wally has been getting a bit more attention than the others but it's not really the fanfare he deserves after such a long absence.

Another problem is non sensical plot elements. People are still mad at Dick for taking Slade up on his Lazurus Contract. I suppose he should have thrown Rose to the wolves, defeat Deathstroke singlehandedly and then rush off to tell the Titans what happened. I mean Deathstroke ran rings around all the adult Titans and the Teen Titans in that crossover but whatever, 15/16 year old Dick Grayson should have done better

Why is Mal Duncan pissed at the Titans? They were not really involved with his wife's decision to change her superpowers.

Also Booths art. That is a huge problem too it's hard to take any situation seriously with all those derp faces on panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Titans sales are proof enough. People are fine with the line up. I love Lilith, Garth, Bumblebee's new design rocks and she's adorable, I can't wait for more Gnaark. It's old but it modernizes thrown away stuff very well to a point you could say it's fresh.

I'm going to take these additions over Starfire and Dick drama, Gar sexually harassing others for "laughs" and Raven moping about her father.

Do I like the recent arc? No far from it. But I will still prefer to Damian's team. Hopefully this was a hiccup because of Priest's story choices and everything will return to form again.
    I'm not the only one that bothers? Huzzah! I like most animated versions of Beast Boy but the comics version should be neutered.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Fearsome Five cause trouble in the same way Team Rocket causes trouble. These guys have never been the deadliest villains around for the Titans. Hell, the cartoon had Jinx quit the team partly because she was tired of being the losing side

But Teen Titans Go! is a joke in itself so how can you take anything that happens on it seriously?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

I'll agree that the previous version of the Titans didn't have any great villains until Wolfman revamped the Antithesis and then Mr. Twister was made cool in Titans Hunt but those were both decades after the characters were introduced.

I'm not sure why you think of the Fearsome Five as jokes since they've been around for a quite a while and caused both the Titans and Superman trouble over the decades.

Jinx even joined Queen Clea's Villainy Inc. in Jimenez run on Wonder Woman.
    Considering it only appeared once to torment Mal from beyond the veil of space and time, I wouldn't say the Antithesis in it's revamped form was any good, just less crap that it had been. Mr. Twister certainly got a lot better with Titans Hunt... but pardon me for pointing out he was sort of defeated by everyone going: "We aren't the carebears any more! Except you Hank!"

Because they have very low ambitions ('get rich' usually covers it), the members are hardly that imposing and because they usually catch all kinds of flack from other villains about how poor or stupid they are.

Thats not really a point in her favor, because Villainy Inc is a bit in the same boat as the Fearsome Five in terms of reputation. Plus this is the Jinx I think most people just wishes would get reinvented into her cartoon version... because that version was fun, had charm and a redeeming story to back her up, whereas the comic Jinx only has that she's from India and a bald head.

But Teen Titans Go! is a joke in itself so how can you take anything that happens on it seriously?
    Because Go! has it's own charms and sense of humor thats quite good if you can get past that it's not supposed to be a continuation of the old show or aimed at the same audience as it.

But thats not what he is talking about, in the original cartoon... with the help of Kid Flash Jinx left the Hive Five behind, the given reason was that she was tired of loosing, but the real reason was more likely that Wally had charmed her pants off.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 08-21-2017 at 06:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post

I'm not the only one that bothers? Huzzah! I like most animated versions of Beast Boy but the comics version should be neutered.
    Only time I've ever liked BB was during his mini and his appearances during Faerber's run. AKA, when he grew the Hell up. And this is a major reason why.

Mighty Member

I love Beast Boy, but the hound dog nature of his personality was always the least attractive part of him. The character was at his best when Wolfman leaned into other aspects of his personality (Hunt for the Killers of the Doom Patrol, The Judas Contract, Donna's Wedding, and Trial of the Terminator). When he did that Beast Boy was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I love Beast Boy, but the hound dog nature of his personality was always the least attractive part of him. The character was at his best when Wolfman leaned into other aspects of his personality (Hunt for the Killers of the Doom Patrol, The Judas Contract, Donna's Wedding, and Trial of the Terminator). When he did that Beast Boy was amazing.
    I agree, I tend to like fun/jokester characters, and Gar is no exception, but that part of his character pisses me off to no end.

Mighty Member

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if they made Gar gay or bi, then at least that aspect of his character could be retconned as overcompensation for discomfort with his sexuality. It's probably way too late for that, especially since his relationships with Raven and Terra have been so solidified in the canon. But it would have been pretty cool and daring if Wolfman had gone that route back in the 80s.

BANNED

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if they made Gar gay or bi, then at least that aspect of his character could be retconned as overcompensation for discomfort with his sexuality. It's probably way too late for that, especially since his relationships with Raven and Terra have been so solidified in the canon. But it would have been pretty cool and daring if Wolfman had gone that route back in the 80s.
    You know, I was at a Buffy panel yesterday, and that same idea was brought up for how Xander could have been made a better character. In both cases, I think it could have worked.

I meant the original Teen Titans cartoon not Go

I can see how that aspect of Gar would be a turnoff, but I guess I've just kind of accepted that it's a part of him and don't really mind it now.

But that's just me.
    If they did it at this point they'd probably just be accused of ripping off Marvel after what they did with Iceman.