Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Give SCARLET SPIDER a try! Here's why:

My friends,

The Scarlet Spider is my favorite character in all of fiction, and it's not for no reason. As a kid, I was fascinated by the stories of Ben Reilly and Kaine. It helped that they had cool costumes, but it was the nature of their lives as clones of perhaps the most noble hero in the world that kept me captivated. Ben's death and Peter's grief felt real to me, and I still remember the excitement I felt when Kaine, the "loose end," reappeared out of nowhere after the Clone Saga had officially ended. But these moments have been few and far between: for twenty years, I was essentially without Ben Reilly in my comics.

Why does this matter so much?

Ben Reilly's status as a clone of Peter Parker gives him an intriguing position, both within the text and meta-textually. Within the text, Ben is a walking nature v. nurture experiment; his history of simultaneously needing to carve out a new life for himself while nevertheless having an innate desire to be the "one true Peter Parker" presented us, the readers, with drama of the most existential variety. Meta-textually, stories involving Ben Reilly provide writers with the opportunity to create Spider-Man stories that can't easily be told in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man; Peter Parker can learn new lessons while doing different jobs and dating different women, but the character of Peter Parker is essentially fixed. Not so for Ben, who - by virtue of his birth - is another Peter Parker, but one that holds little cultural cachet and can therefore participate in stories that take creative risks.

I've barely mentioned Kaine, but he is a fascinating character in his own right: his journey from a Spider-Frankenstein to the heroish Spider-Man he is now has obviously won over many fans, considering the fair popularity of the Yost series.

The current series may not be perfect, and I understand the frustrations of many who don't like the turn that Ben's story has taken. But in my opinion, this is the natural place to take Ben's character: now that he knows he will never live the life of Peter Parker, it's finally time to find out who Ben Reilly can be.

What does a damaged Peter Parker do when he wants to carve out some kind of fulfilling life for himself?

Trust in PAD to tell the tale. The man knows how to tell epic stories over years of comics. His X-Factor run is a personal favorite of mine (and if you haven't read it, the first year of that series is exceptional).

Give Ben Reilly: the Scarlet Spider a try. The longer it goes, I think, the better and better it's going to get.

So far, we've essentially been getting set-up: Ben is in Los Vegas, dealing with ramifications from Clone Conspiracy; we've also seen Kaine hunt down Ben, with the Scarlet Spider-Brothers throwing down in entertaining fashion.

Who knows what what will happen next?!

-Pav, who thanks you for reading...
    Last edited by Pav; 08-19-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I gave it a try. I hate it, sorry. Keep in mind Ben is my favorite alternant spider themed hero and I still cannot stomach this series.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

But wait! There's more!

It's clear that PAD is listening to fan chatter about the book and, in some cases, taking requests: case in point - the original Scarlet costume was brought back lickity split because fans demanded it be so! Plus, PAD has included many a meta-textually comment from background characters and I've been getting a chuckle out of it every time.

I bring all that up because the solicitations for upcoming issues have brought some amazing news: the SLINGERS are being re-introduced in the pages of Scarlet Spider!

Why care about these four nobodies?

After Ben Reilly died, I was still reading Spidey and enjoying it. The Identity Crisis storyline was an especially fun one, and the Slingers book was a weird spinoff that both included and distanced itself from Spidey. Nevertheless, it had a lot of heart. The story of Prodigy, Hornet, Dusk, and Ricochet felt just as real to me as Ben's had: here were four young heroes who were barely keeping up. Yet their costumes were great, their powers and origins a fascinating mystery. And, as if that wasn't enough, I loved how each hero symbolized a different aspect of Peter Parker: Hornet was the high-flying genius with social awkwardness; Ricochet was the acrobat with the just-as-quick wit; Prodigy had the drive to be a hero due to tragedy in his life; and Dusk... well... Dusk is the mask. Dusk is the mystery. Dusk is the life of the costume taking over. Dusk is being both lost and found.

And now, these four are together again for the first time since the 90s! They have so much potential, and if you try the book and enjoy the Slingers, our demand as fans might convince PAD to keep them in the book on a regular basis! Maybe - just maybe - we could get a PAD-written Spider-Team book featuring Ben and Kaine, the Slingers, and who knows who might show up next?!

Oh, and did I mention that the Slingers became a team, in part, due to the machinations of Mephisto?

-Pav, who imagines PAD would pull that string eventually...
    Last edited by Pav; 08-19-2017 at 03:15 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I gave it a try. I hate it, sorry. Keep in mind Ben is my favorite alternant spider themed hero and I still cannot stomach this series.
    Cool! That's obviously a message that will help out my thread that I just made!

Well, have a good day now!

-Pav, who knows Scarlet Spider + Slingers is where it's at...

--------------------

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    But wait! There's more!

It's clear that PAD is listening to fan chatter about the book and, in some cases, taking requests: case in point - the original Scarlet costume was brought back lickity split because fans demanded it be so! Plus, PAD has included many a meta-textually comment from background characters and I've been getting a chuckle out of it every time.

I bring all that up because the solicitations for upcoming issues have brought some amazing news: the SLINGERS are being re-introduced in the pages of Scarlet Spider!

Why care about these four nobodies?

After Ben Reilly died, I was still reading Spidey and enjoying it. The Identity Crisis storyline was an especially fun one, and the Slingers book was a weird spinoff that both included and distanced itself from Spidey. Nevertheless, it had a lot of heart. The story of Prodigy, Hornet, Dusk, and Ricochet felt just as real to me as Ben's had: here were four young heroes who were barely keeping up. Yet their costumes were great, their powers and origins a fascinating mystery. And, as if that wasn't enough, I loved how each hero symbolized a different aspect of Peter Parker: Hornet was the high-flying genius with social awkwardness; Ricochet was the acrobat with the just-as-quick wit; Prodigy had the drive to be a hero due to tragedy in his life; and Dusk... well... Dusk is the mask. Dusk is the mystery. Dusk is the life of the costume taking over. Dusk is being both lost and found.

And now, these four are together again for the first time since the 90s! They have so much potential, and if you try the book and enjoy the Slingers, our demand as fans might convince PAD to keep them in the book on a regular basis! Maybe - just maybe - we could get a PAD-written Spider-Team book featuring Ben and Kaine, the Slingers, and who knows who might show up next?!

Oh, and did I mention that the Slingers became a team, in part, due to the machinations of Mephisto?

-Pav, who imagines PAD would pull that string eventually...
    I'm actually looking forward to the fact that they're taking the opportunity with bringing the Slingers back.

I think Ricochet was last seen in Avengers Academy, but he didn't have much of a role from what I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Cool! That's obviously a message that will help out my thread that I just made!

Well, have a good day now!

-Pav, who knows Scarlet Spider + Slingers is where it's at...
    It's my honest opinion. While part of me is happy Ben is back, in a sense anyway, another part of me wishes he had stayed gone rather than become this twisted wreck of a once great character. But I digress. This is neither the place nor the time. Kindly excuse the intrusion.

You have a good day also.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-19-2017 at 06:29 PM.

BANNED

I'm really enjoying this book a lot...I'm in it for the long haul and have complete faith in PAD to make Ben a good guy again.

Hey Pav I hope you don't mind me putting my own endorsement. I did not grow up with the classic Ben Reilly. I was born in 92 and only really started reading comics in the 2000s. So I missed the clone saga and a lot of other things. That said I can understand why people would be hesitant to get into this after clone conspiracy.

It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of the directions the spider house is at the moment. Black Cat for example is one of my favorite characters so her heel turn really annoyed me. It didn't help that I don't like superior at all but I digress. I took a chance on Kaine's Scarlet Spider series. I was quite pleasantly surprised with how well written it was.

Likewise I took a chance with this series. I enjoy it quite a bit and it feels like PAD hasn't forgotten either fanbase. I feel he's doing a good job with what he was given. Now I can't convince anyone to stay but I urge people to at least give it a chance.

If I had to give current Ben a theme it would be Far Away from Red Dead Redemption -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiJaMq1L43s

He's been through a lot and is not the man he once was, yet the memory of his lost self remains if only as a fleeting phantom: tantalizingly substantive yet maddeningly elusive like trying to grasp smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Hey Pav I hope you don't mind me putting my own endorsement. I did not grow up with the classic Ben Reilly. I was born in 92 and only really started reading comics in the 2000s. So I missed the clone saga and a lot of other things. That said I can understand why people would be hesitant to get into this after clone conspiracy.

It's one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of the directions the spider house is at the moment. Black Cat for example is one of my favorite characters so her heel turn really annoyed me. It didn't help that I don't like superior at all but I digress. I took a chance on Kaine's Scarlet Spider series. I was quite pleasantly surprised with how well written it was.

Likewise I took a chance with this series. I enjoy it quite a bit and it feels like PAD hasn't forgotten either fanbase. I feel he's doing a good job with what he was given. Now I can't convince anyone to stay but I urge people to at least give it a chance.
    Thanks for contributing to the cause MoS!

What are you most enjoying about the book right now?

Any thoughts on the Slingers showing up?

-Pav, who tweeted about the book a lot today...

--------------------

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    I'm really enjoying this book a lot...I'm in it for the long haul and have complete faith in PAD to make Ben a good guy again.
    At this point, I have such disgust for most of modern Marvel Comics, and such love for classic Ben/Scarlet Spider, that I am rooting SO HARD for this book!!! It's like my only hope. I've come to terms with the fact that even though this isn't exactly the Ben from my past, the book has potential to absolutely scratch that itch.

I'm still forming my full opinion of it. But, in general, I'm very happy about it and I hope PAD makes Ben into more of a hero (and fixes his skin) and keeps the politics out of the book. As long as those things happen and conitnue to happen, I hope the book runs for a long, long, long time. Wouldn't it be amazing if a book like this could make it past, say, issue 30?? I know, perish the thought. =P

Do we have an update on the book's sales, btw? It will really frustrate me if this book is cancelled but certain books that won't be named have much lower sales yet keep getting made =(
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    Do we have an update on the book's sales, btw? It will really frustrate me if this book is cancelled but certain books that won't be named have much lower sales yet keep getting made =(
    #1 53,240
    #2 29,501
    #3 27, 053
    #4 23, 939
    #5 22, 235

The Book didn't start with notably high sales and is already out of the top 100 by only it's 5th issue. That being said, the drop between issues #4 and #5 was smaller than previous dips, which might suggest the title is hitting its level. If that level stays on or around the 20K mark, it should be OK for now.

Edited to add: The big test might come after Kaine's (apparent) departure after the current arc. He's a character with his own fanbase (and who had his own title more recently than the real Ben) so he may be some people's reason for picking up the book. Perhaps those fans will stay on board if they see Ben27 as essentially Kaine V2.0, but I think that'll be the time when you'll get a better picture of the book's potential longevity.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 08-19-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    #1 53,240
    #2 29,501
    #3 27,053
    #4 23,939
    #5 22,235
    blerg. That makes me very sad. Books tend to get cancelled once they dip below 20k, right? =( Dang it! blerg! Super blerg!

It looks like they already have up to issue 10 in the works. But as the only Marvel book I can currently enjoy, I'm hoping for at least 30 issues! I know, that's a super tall order in the era relaunch-happy Marvel. But, gotta dream big, right? =)
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

BANNED

It feels like both peters and bens lives have gone into a downward spiral due to the traumatic return of Ben with peter getting blamed from all sides due to the ramfications of the event and getting emotionally riled due to it to invade another country where he moved from tony starks sphere to FFs who invaded and took over Latveria from doom fighting us troops to do it which got them unfavourable publicity and finally caused the demise of PI due to Superior Ock getting a body back.
    Ben is also not in a good place both mentally and physically due to the trauma inflicted by warren and due to maybe his physical deterioration which may be also causing him to be mentally unstable as shown when he was shown suffering from multiple personality disorder. Further he is trying to be reinvented just like he once did himself in CS to be a conman like character like Daredevil did briefly during his "Jack Battlin" phase where he helped people under the guise of conning them. It seems logical that the next step would be for him to become a kingpin like character after becoming a silent partner to or taking over the womans empire whose daughter he is trying to save ironically also a role curently played by a version of Matt in spider gwen. It remains to be seen if he is going to pull in Kaine in with him or he is going to be the series antagonist who is there to keep him honest during this phase just like psylock was keeping an eye on mags and killed him placing the blame of IvsX on him. this could be the payoff regarding to Ben also with Kaine ultimately killing him also and him returning again resurrected like magneto once again and moving to other pastures like perhaps trying to resalvage whatever he can from PI or something else.
    anyway it may seem a tad negative outlook on the ultimate fate of Ben but I can't see any positive outcome coming out of the current situation for Ben especially with parker back to being a fugitive. Will it have a positive effect on sales of the series is what remains to be seen.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 08-19-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to the fact that they're taking the opportunity with bringing the Slingers back.

I think Ricochet was last seen in Avengers Academy, but he didn't have much of a role from what I recall.
    The appearance of Ricochet in the pages of Runaways - along with being intrigued by PAD's Madrox mini - is what brought me back to comics after Byrne's Spidey reboot bummed me out too much to continue. Over the years, I've tried to collect all of the random appearances of the Slingers, even buying (the former) Ms. Marvel comics when Dusk appeared.

But y'know, I never did read the confrontation between Ricochet and Prodigy in Avengers Academy. Gotta get that back issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    I hope that PAD uses Ben and Kaine to explore philosophical considerations of heroism that "normal" Spidey titles can't really tackle. That's one of the reasons I don't mind Ben's current status: I would imagine being a clone would result in some creative morality

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    If I had to give current Ben a theme it would be Far Away from Red Dead Redemption -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiJaMq1L43s

He's been through a lot and is not the man he once was, yet the memory of his lost self remains if only as a fleeting phantom: tantalizingly substantive yet maddeningly elusive like trying to grasp smoke.
    Isn't the relationship between who we were and who we are an interesting topic of exploration?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    At this point, I have such disgust for most of modern Marvel Comics, and such love for classic Ben/Scarlet Spider, that I am rooting SO HARD for this book!!! It's like my only hope. I've come to terms with the fact that even though this isn't exactly the Ben from my past, the book has potential to absolutely scratch that itch.

I'm still forming my full opinion of it. But, in general, I'm very happy about it and I hope PAD makes Ben into more of a hero (and fixes his skin) and keeps the politics out of the book. As long as those things happen and conitnue to happen, I hope the book runs for a long, long, long time
    Ben Reilly is dead!
    Long live Ben Reilly!

-Pav, who lives for the future...

--------------------