Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    It feels like both peters and bens lives have gone into a downward spiral due to the traumatic return of Ben with peter getting blamed from all sides due to the ramfications of the event and getting emotionally riled due to it to invade another country where he moved from tony starks sphere to FFs who invaded and took over Latveria from doom fighting us troops to do it which got them unfavourable publicity and finally caused the demise of PI due to Superior Ock getting a body back.
    Ben is also not in a good place both mentally and physically due to the trauma inflicted by warren and due to maybe his physical deterioration which may be also causing him to be mentally unstable as shown when he was shown suffering from multiple personality disorder. Further he is trying to be reinvented just like he once did himself in CS to be a conman like character like Daredevil did briefly during his "Jack Battlin" phase where he helped people under the guise of conning them. It seems logical that the next step would be for him to become a kingpin like character after becoming a silent partner to or taking over the womans empire whose daughter he is trying to save ironically also a role curently played by a version of Matt in spider gwen. It remains to be seen if he is going to pull in Kaine in with him or he is going to be the series antagonist who is there to keep him honest during this phase just like psylock was keeping an eye on mags and killed him placing the blame of IvsX on him. this could be the payoff regarding to Ben also with Kaine ultimately killing him also and him returning again resurrected like magneto once again and moving to other pastures like perhaps trying to resalvage whatever he can from PI or something else.
    anyway it may seem a tad negative outlook on the ultimate fate of Ben but I can't see any positive outcome coming out of the current situation for Ben especially with parker back to being a fugitive. Will it have a positive effect on sales of the series is what remains to be seen.
    That's actually an interesting point. Peter's on the outs with S.H.I.E.L.D. thanks to invading Symkaria to take out Norman Osborn and has probably alienated the general public as well with the collapse of Parker Industries. Ben's actions in The Clone Conspiracy would also likely render him Public Enemy Number One if anyone in S.H.I.E.L.D. or the superhero community knew he was still alive, and he's living on borrowed time, as is Kaine, who is determined to hunt him down and kill him for what he did. In that light, it's my great hope that Peter does eventually find out Ben is still alive and goes to confront him, while also having to clash with Kaine depending on whether or not Kaine still thinks Ben needs to die for what he did.

That aside, I definitely appreciate you trying to encourage us in the Spider-Fandom to check out Ben Reilly, even if this current iteration of the character isn't to everyone's taste, Pav. I love your argument about how the Scarlet Spiders' existence brings in these complex philosophical questions about identity, morality, memory, and even the human soul itself and like you, I'm looking forward to seeing those questions explored and maybe answered in greater depth as Ben's story continues and intertwines with Kaine's (and hopefully Peter's). We've all gotta get out there and chip in, and I've been buying each issue so far as it comes out. I'm not completely sold on what's been done to Ben's character, but I'm still willing to ride it out for as long as the series lasts. That remind you of anyone?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWithoutFear View Post
    At this point, I have such disgust for most of modern Marvel Comics, and such love for classic Ben/Scarlet Spider, that I am rooting SO HARD for this book!!! It's like my only hope. I've come to terms with the fact that even though this isn't exactly the Ben from my past, the book has potential to absolutely scratch that itch.

I'm still forming my full opinion of it. But, in general, I'm very happy about it and I hope PAD makes Ben into more of a hero (and fixes his skin) and keeps the politics out of the book. As long as those things happen and conitnue to happen, I hope the book runs for a long, long, long time. Wouldn't it be amazing if a book like this could make it past, say, issue 30?? I know, perish the thought. =P

Do we have an update on the book's sales, btw? It will really frustrate me if this book is cancelled but certain books that won't be named have much lower sales yet keep getting made =(
    I couldn't agree more Joe on all counts.
    As for the sales I think the current numbers should stay fairly steady above 20,000...and I also expect a boost in readership and numbers with this book once Ben's mental issues get all sorted out and he starts acting like the old Ben again which I think we should start seeing by Legacy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    T
    I hope that PAD uses Ben and Kaine to explore philosophical considerations of heroism that "normal" Spidey titles can't really tackle. That's one of the reasons I don't mind Ben's current status: I would imagine being a clone would result in some creative morality
    It's my guess that PAD will be exploring some of that as we lead up to Legacy and Ben's redemption. PAD may not get real deep into it as we might like...but I'm sure he will have it play a part in the upcoming stories. But I agree PAV I would like to see that more explored as we go forward also.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    It's my guess that PAD will be exploring some of that as we lead up to Legacy and Ben's redemption. PAD may not get real deep into it as we might like...but I'm sure he will have it play a part in the upcoming stories. But I agree PAV I would like to see that more explored as we go forward also.
    really, a ben title should allow for writers to do everything want with peter but can't (wait, that sounds a bit saucey)

he could be a walking peter parker what if, but in the main continuity.
    troo fan or death

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

@Timmyb52

*fist bump*

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Ben Reilly is dead!
    Long live Ben Reilly!
    Pretty much. And I'm starting to figure out how to be happy with that.
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Since Venom helped to bump RYV's sales, maybe a Spider Carnage story could boost Scarlet Spider. I would love to see a portion of the Carnage symbiote bond with Kaine.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I love your argument about how the Scarlet Spiders' existence brings in these complex philosophical questions about identity, morality, memory, and even the human soul itself and like you, I'm looking forward to seeing those questions explored and maybe answered in greater depth as Ben's story continues and intertwines with Kaine's (and hopefully Peter's).
    I think that's being a bit hopeful. Has there really been any 'depth' to NotBen's character to date? We're 5 issues in and aside from a bog-standard "If there's a God, why does he do bad things" monologue, has there been a whole lot of character exploration? The one time NotBen's really considered his behaviour (and even then, only subconsciously) were the scenes with his imaginary friends back in #1. And since then, that's seemingly been forgotten about anyway in lieu of wacky NotBen and his naughty hijinks. Suffice to say, the book hasn't exactly been a three course meal at Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steak-House thus far.

We've all gotta get out there and chip in...
    Do we though? See, I'm always of a mind that the idea of supporting our favourite characters works both ways. Yes, there's the argument that we should support them at all times, period, no questions asked. Because we're fans and we want Marvel to continue publishing books about our favourite characters.

But. If that means supporting a version of a favourite character that we don't recognise or don't even particularly like, what's the end result of that? At the end of the say, we can discuss things on message boards ad infinitum but the only thing that's going to influence Marvel is sales. We vote with our wallets and more importantly we approve and disapprove of something with our wallets. And as a huge fan of Ben Reilly, I can not and will not essentially say to Marvel "I'm enjoying what you're doing with this character and I hope to see a lot more of it." Not even on the basis of a slight possibility of a return to a version of that character that I do recognise.

If people are enjoying the book, fair play to them. I just don't agree with idea that I need to 'chip in' to something that goes against every single thing I enjoyed about my favourite Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 08-21-2017 at 03:33 AM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I think that's being a bit hopeful. Has there really been any 'depth' to NotBen's character to date? We're 5 issues in and aside from a bog-standard "If there's a God, why does he do bad things" monologue, has there been a whole lot of character exploration? The one time NotBen's really considered his behaviour (and even then, only subconsciously) were the scenes with his imaginary friends back in #1. And since then, that's seemingly been forgotten about anyway in lieu of wacky NotBen and his naughty hijinks. Suffice to say, the book hasn't exactly been a three course meal at Pete and Bernie's Philosophical Steak-House thus far.

Do we though? See, I'm always of a mind that the idea of supporting our favourite characters works both ways. Yes, there's the argument that we should support them at all times, period, no questions asked. Because we're fans and we want Marvel to continue publishing books about our favourite characters.

But. If that means supporting a version of a favourite character that we don't recognise or don't even particularly like, what's the end result of that? At the end of the say, we can discuss things on message boards ad infinitum but the only thing that's going to influence Marvel is sales. We vote with our wallets and more importantly we approve and disapprove of something with our wallets. And as a huge fan of Ben Reilly, I can not and will not essentially say to Marvel "I'm enjoying what you're doing with this character and I hope to see a lot more of it." Not even on the basis of a slight possibility of a return to a version of that character that I do recognise.

If people are enjoying the book, fair play to them. I just don't agree with idea that I need to 'chip in' to something that goes against every single thing I enjoyed about my favourite Spider-Man.
    You raise some good points. Nobody's under obligation to support something they don't enjoy. Most of the reason I'm buying is so that Marvel doesn't pull the plug prematurely before we (or I) get any real resolution to what's happened to Ben (or not-Ben, or Ben27). I agree with you that the things this Ben did were and have been pretty damn far removed from any version of Ben I'd recognize and want to read about. I understand why you wouldn't want to read about such a tarnished, twisted version of the character I think we both love, and my own investment is largely in seeing whether or not Peter David can, through the magic of good writing and character development, restore this Ben to being anything like the Ben we're more familiar with. I guess it's just, in the end, I can't bring myself to completely write him off. That's what it is, really.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You raise some good points. Nobody's under obligation to support something they don't enjoy. Most of the reason I'm buying is so that Marvel doesn't pull the plug prematurely before we (or I) get any real resolution to what's happened to Ben (or not-Ben, or Ben27). I agree with you that the things this Ben did were and have been pretty damn far removed from any version of Ben I'd recognize and want to read about. I understand why you wouldn't want to read about such a tarnished, twisted version of the character I think we both love, and my own investment is largely in seeing whether or not Peter David can, through the magic of good writing and character development, restore this Ben to being anything like the Ben we're more familiar with. I guess it's just, in the end, I can't bring myself to completely write him off. That's what it is, really.
    yeah, while i agree that nobody should support a character portrayal they don't enjoy simply out of misplaced loyalty, i can understand supporting the book despite that in the hopes that it allows the publisher the chance to improve/course correct. i mean, what if this is the one go ben gets?

do you capitalise on a less than ideal situation in the hopes it will improve or do you reject it totally and risk never having the opportunity again?
    troo fan or death

Spectacular Member

It makes me sad that so many people have turned on Ben Reilly and won't even give the book a chance. Many act like the character can't be redeemed eventually. Or like he just turned evil out if nowhere. He was horribly tortured. I loved Ben back in the day and am sticking with him now.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I gave it a try. I hate it, sorry. Keep in mind Ben is my favorite alternant spider themed hero and I still cannot stomach this series.
    Same here

10 char
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I'm reading and enjoying the comic. It is the book I am reading to get back into the Spider books. I will admit I mostly enjoy it for Kaine . Ben Reilly has never been a favorite of mine. And I am definitely looking forward to the Slingers reappearing.
    Last edited by Thievery; 08-22-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JarOfFlies1 View Post
    I'm reading and enjoying the comic. It is the book I am reading to get back into the Spider books. I will admit I mostly enjoy it for Kaine . Ben Reilly has never been a favorite of mine. And I am definitely looking forward to the Slingers reappearing.
    a lot of fans of the current incarnation of kaine (as opposed to the 90s version). makes me wonder what would have happened if the original plans to bring back ben that eventually became kaine's series had panned out.

would the reception for ben have been more universally aligned if he'd been written in a similar way?
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    a lot of fans of the current incarnation of kaine (as opposed to the 90s version). makes me wonder what would have happened if the original plans to bring back ben that eventually became kaine's series had panned out.

would the reception for ben have been more universally aligned if he'd been written in a similar way?
    Don't know if reception would have been any better. Kaine was a slightly shades of grey character in his series. I get the feeling from browsing this forum most people like a heroic version of Ben. I'm not sure if Ben fans would have accepted a non heroic version of Ben. It seems they would rather not have Ben back at all if he had behaved like Kaine did in his Scarlet Spider series.

On a tangent has Esmerelda Lobo appeared since Kaine's Scarlet Spider comic.

BANNED

Totally giving a try but the book is required to keep growing in character work. I love that Ben is back with potentially good new gravitas in the right hands but the title isn`t perfect as of now. You have action and some progress from CC but it needs to have more meat in it. So far the interactions between Ben and Kaine have been a bit off with the whole "no, you`re the one who made me do this!". Guys, keep it simple, Ben was the Scarlet Spider and Kaine wanted to honor him when he put on the name, that`s why he`s so pissed off. His hero turned into the devil.

That said, I`m likely one of the few here who`s relaxed about it. Whether the book suceeds or not, Ben is back. People sometimes act as if, if this book isn`t a major hit then they`re out to kill him again just to prove something and I think that`s nothing more than conspiracy theory. NewBen is making his baby steps so let writers tell their tale and see where it goes.

Hopefully back to the roots the further he goes but without losing some of the new raw.