Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Should Marvel Revive Star Wars: Infinities?

This was one of my favorite set of limited series when I was a kid, each series exploring a key moment in the original trilogy where a small change - Luke's torpedo misfiring in the Death Star, Han's Tauntaun dying earlier, and Jabba hitting C-3P0 too hard to translate - led to significant differences in the story, including instances where Leia becomes both a Dark Jedi and Jedi herself under Yoda's training (since Luke froze to death on Hoth). Given the fact that Marvel are masters of the 'What If?' comics I was wondering whether they should consider reviving the premise, maybe do some for the Prequels, Rogue One and the new trilogy.

I think the two I would most like to see is a Revenge of The Sith Infinity where Dooku doesn't die and turns Palpatine's plan on him, leading the Confederacy to win the Clone Wars but also leave the Skywalkers as a single family unit with Anakin, Padme, Luke and Leia. And then a Rogue One series where Jyn and possibly some other members of her team survive Scarif's destruction, leading them to get caught up in the events of the original movie and affect things accordingly.

iMan 42s

It could work. The problem is talking Lucasfilm into it since they would want to keep continuities as clean as possible to avoid confusion if somebody doesn't recognize a separate imprint.

I'd be interested in a galaxy where Palpatine fails the Clone Wars where he is defeated by Anakin early. What does the galaxy look like in a universe that lacks a completed Death Star, the Empire, and possess a militarized Jedi order? Where does that leave the clones? Without Darth Sidious do the Separatists surrender or does the war continue without a head? With the Sith gone where does that leave the Jedi order and who controls the galaxy until a vetted leader can step in? Do the Jedi discover Anakin's children? Where does that leave the OT heroes is they lack the reason to band together?

Marvel could do fascinating divergences presuming they get the green light to do it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

"Infinities" was actually a general label for non-canon comics. Beyond the little trilogy of "what ifs" for the original movies, some of the stories in the Star Wars Tales anthology comic series were also "Infinities" (although it was very confusing to sort out which ones were supposed to be the Infinities and which where the canon ones [at least at the time until the Disney reboot]). The Tales Infinities included stuff ranging from serious "could've been canon if wished to silly stories clearly not meant to be taken seriously.

In theory it could be revived (new non-canon stuff -- like the Lego TV projects, the Jedi Academy book series and the Shakespeare Star Wars stuff are still being made). The question is if there's a market for it and if Marvel wants to use their publishing slots for one instead of canon material that could be tied into an upcoming movie.

Empty is thy hand!

I already consider Disney Star Wars products to be "Infinities."

Seriously, I'd love to see some prequel "What Ifs," especially a story where Qui-Gon isn't murdered at the end of Phantom Menace and goes on to fully train Anakin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    Seriously, I'd love to see some prequel "What Ifs," especially a story where Qui-Gon isn't murdered at the end of Phantom Menace and goes on to fully train Anakin.
    Honestly, I think things play out much the same for Anakin, but maybe the Jedi are in better shape after the Clone Wars end.

Qui-Gon would have refused to become general Qui-Gon, and have gone rogue, probably taking some other Jedi with him, forming a back to basics reformed Jedi Order.
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-20-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I would worry that Qui-Gon might be convinced by his old master Dooku to side with elements of the Confederacy, unaware of the power behind the throne (maybe Dooku is more subtle about being a Sith in that reality).

Also in a universe where Dooku takes over Palpatine's plan I have this awesome image of Battle Droids and Clone Troopers teaming up to take on the Jedi. I also wonder what Grevious would do if he learnt about the deceit surrounding the Confederacy and maybe betrayed Dooku, splitting the CIS in two.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I would worry that Qui-Gon might be convinced by his old master Dooku to side with elements of the Confederacy, unaware of the power behind the throne (maybe Dooku is more subtle about being a Sith in that reality).
    I guess that depends on how much stock you think there is to Dooku's opinion that Qui-Gon would've joined the CIS (was he just lying to manipulate Kenobi, or was he saying what he thought would've happened, and if so, how accurate was that assessment?).

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Also in a universe where Dooku takes over Palpatine's plan I have this awesome image of Battle Droids and Clone Troopers teaming up to take on the Jedi. I also wonder what Grevious would do if he learnt about the deceit surrounding the Confederacy and maybe betrayed Dooku, splitting the CIS in two.
    A TCW episode indicated that Grevious joined the the CIS since he could kill Jedi and commanded what he thought was the most powerful army in existence, so he might not've cared much about anything else. (On the other hand, a non-canon TCW-tie-in video game was based on the idea of Grevious discovering a powerful macguffin that he wanted to use to betray his masters and conquer the Galaxy for himself, so something like the idea was obviously not considered totally out of character.)