Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by niconico00 View Post
    I'm currently re-reading The Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison.
    It's so much fun!
    Unfortunately the final issues by Rachel Pollack have not been collected in trades. I only own a few issues and I'm trying to buy them on ebay or amazon...
    A great book. Incredible that the story between Cliff and Jane can work so well in all the strangeness that is the book Can't wait till the omnibus hits stores this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    A great book. Incredible that the story between Cliff and Jane can work so well in all the strangeness that is the book Can't wait till the omnibus hits stores this summer!
    Such a great book indeed. Rebis was my favourite character (as you can see from my avatar).
    Also, The Brotherhood of Dada was such a weird idea. I didn't like the 2nd incarnation though. For some reason the idea felt a little overplayed and the new members had absurd "powers" (if we can call them such).
    Even if the art was not always great, the covers were amazing.
    Take a look at this; I guess is by Bisley
    Broken English Spoken Perfectly

Astonishing Member

I'm currently re-reading The Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison.
    It's so much fun!
    Unfortunately the final issues by Rachel Pollack have not been collected in trades. I only own a few issues and I'm trying to buy them on ebay or amazon...
    IIRC an omnibus is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    IIRC an omnibus is on the way.
    But it will probably contains only Morrison's famous run, not the following and brief Pollack's run...
    Broken English Spoken Perfectly

Yeah, the omnibus only collects G-Mozz's run.
    BB

Astonishing Member

But it will probably contains only Morrison's famous run, not the following and brief Pollack's run...
    Oh my bad I misread your post.

Like someone said earlier, Comixology should have the whole series.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Vertigo books usually get collected in a regular trade, but some gets a HC straight away. Figures Lono didn't sell well enough for such, but it'd been nice since it came out shortly after the last 100B Dlx book

I could totally see it work as a movie if they'd focus on the of the core things of the story. For example if there's such a thing as consequence free revenge, of which the book makes a good point that you often invest alot of yourself into it. Something akin to how the recent DREDD worked, a story that even works in the continuity.

And about Winding Refn. Not only is Drive a good mystery movie, but also his Only God Forgives. I'm not saying a 100B movie should be strange as that one, but it'd be cool if Agent Graves felt as larger than life as OGF's police man. Feels more or less like god, and with Graves often speaking as mysteriously as one I think that could be a cool concept. In short a shorter one off story surrounding the attache, not the grand conspiracy.

But if there'd be a movie who's big on the conspiracy then I think Jean-Pierre Jeunet would be a perfect fit. His "A Very Long Engagement" is a testament to that he can make a very big and complex work with elegantly.
    I think it will get a deluxe edition after a year or two especially since the previous deluxe editions sold well enough.

I agree with you. Trying to make the main story in one movie would most likely be a mess. An attache story would work much better.

I haven't those movies yet but I'll put them on my "to watch" pile. Thanks.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    remember when Vertigo was a Super Hero comic line? DC took a few heroes and concepts, and made the stories adultified...Swamp Thing, Constantine, Doom Patrol, Silver Scarab, Black orchid... i still love Vertigo, but i miss the original version of it.
    Yeah, I loved it then too, but now having them back in the Nu52 makes that line stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Just to be ¨that guy¨ I will say that I think Vertigo just has a couple years left

there is really nothing stellar on it anymore, with the end of Fables and eventually the wrap-up of Sandman Overture what else is there to be Vertigo´s flagship?
    I guess that would leave only American Vampire but it is just not enough

Btw I havent read anything of Fables but I am playing the game and it just fantastic
    I think the story and world developed on The Wolf Among Us is way more interesting than the TWD game, hopefully there will be another season.
    Vertigo has largely been passed up as Image under Stephenson has gone full 180 from the early days.

Not that Vertigo is dead. It hasn't quite bounced back from Karen Berger's resignation, but I think they'll be around. That's still a pretty strong brand, esp compared to most other indies, and WB is utilizing those ip's.

Bodies sounds intriguing, Astro City's there, FBP, The Royals, and more coming.

Everything has peaks and valleys, but I think Vertigo is here to stay.

Astonishing Member

Vertigo had fallen long before Berger left though, if anything the new wave of titles have been a bounce back for the imprint, even if it's far from a full return to the glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Vertigo has largely been passed up as Image under Stephenson has gone full 180 from the early days.

Not that Vertigo is dead. It hasn't quite bounced back from Karen Berger's resignation, but I think they'll be around. That's still a pretty strong brand, esp compared to most other indies, and WB is utilizing those ip's.
    Im talking about Vertigo Comics.

though thinking about iitt the chances are that Vertigo might convert into a brand kinda like a ¨Vertigo Entertainment¨ sort of things and leave the Comics part relegated

Bodies sounds intriguing, Astro City's there, FBP, The Royals, and more coming.
    Everything has peaks and valleys, but I think Vertigo is here to stay.
    Astro City can very easily go someplace else.
    I cant comment on other books because im not reading much of Vertigo, but none of the new stuff seem to be potentially getting to the level of Fables or 100 bullets or old Vertigo

It is just not a place to attract new people anymore, most of the best works comes from the people that already work on DC.

Astro City can very easily go someplace else.
    Can't every creator-owned series go somewhere else?
    BB

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It is just not a place to attract new people anymore, most of the best works comes from the people that already work on DC.
    You mean new people like Caitlin Kitteridge, Toby Litt, Rob Williams, and Ian Edgington, none of whom are working for DC in any other capacity? Or even people like Simon Oliver and Si Spenser, who have had previous Vertigo books, but have never worked outside the imprint?

Invincible Member

I've been having fun with Astro City. I cut Coffin Hill...not cuz it was bad, just budget issues.I'll probably come back to it. I haven't sat down a read Brother Lono yet cuz I'm missing two issues.

I thought Daytripper was great idea. I have singles, but I'm missing a few issues.

I wouldn't mind seeing the part of Vertigo/Wildstrom moving back to somewhere closer to where they were ten years ago when they would do some more post-modern takes on superheros. (Automatic Kaftka, the 90's new direction stuff, the Casey or Morrison Wildcats) But I do love the fact they they are an imprint for creator own concepts. I think that Marvel is missing out by not bringing back Epic Line ( I know there's the Icon line, but it's not quite the same).

Astonishing Member

Astro City is pretty fantastic. I'm kind of blown away by the amount of thought and detail that Kurt Busiek puts in building his superhero universe. Johns should take some notes for Justice League.