Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I was introduced to him with Lucifer, which was fantastic. His Hellblazer was alright. I read bits of his X-Men run, which was blah.

Is this any good?
    I found it weak, personally. His The Furies OGN with Bolton was a lot better.

I don't enjoy Bolton's photo-manip style as much as his linework, so I'm not high on his latter day work to begin with. Still, more Petrefax than Lucifer.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I'm reading Rick Veitch's Greyshirt mini and it makes me wish that the ABC line had continued even after Moore left. Not necessarily with the same characters and series, but new comics with the same attitude and spirit. (Don't know if I made myself clear).
    LoEG has continued at Top Shelf. There's been DC stuff here and there like last year's Tom Strong and the Planets of Peril by Peter Hogan, one of Moore's friends.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    LoEG has continued at Top Shelf. There's been DC stuff here and there like last year's Tom Strong and the Planets of Peril by Peter Hogan, one of Moore's friends.
    I know, but I just want much more of it. Except for LoEG. I just couldn't get into the Century series and all the sex scenes in every volume made me feel uncomfortable. I'm not against that kind of scenes; it's just the characters what turn me off.
    Last edited by Diamond; 05-22-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Eduardo Risso was last month at a Con in Barcelona and someone asked him about his upcoming graphic novel with Paul Dini for Vertigo. His answer? "The story is kinda boring, but I get to experiment a little bit with my style and maybe coloring".

I love his sincerity. xD

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I know, but I just want much more of it. Except for LoEG. I just couldn't get into the Century series and all the sex scenes in every volume made me feel uncomfortable. I'm not against that kind of scenes; it's just the characters what turn me off.
    You might like Nemo Heart of Ice. I also don't care for LoeG after the initial two volumes, but that one is a fun story.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Latest issue of The Wake was really awesome. It's a shame that one of the best books on the shelves has to be regulated to a mass thread. This book deserves it's own thread each month, because it just might be the best thing coming out of DC/Vertigo.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Astonishing Member

Can we get this thread stickied?

Got bunch of trades from last week's con and two Vertigo ones.
    The Sloth by Gilbert Hernandez - I've read some L&R and hopefully this one's good too.
    And Stuck Rubber Baby - I've read a few chapters a few months ago and like everyone knows, it's seminal work. The great thing about the con was Howard Cruse himself was there and I got him to sign it.
    BB

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Got myself Hellblazer vol 1 recently. I've almost finished it and it is confusing at times, but it certainly has its moments. Definitely looking forward to the Ennis stuff, which is supposed to be less convoluted and even better. Constantine is definitely a very intrigueing character and I'd love to read more about him, even tough I don't always understand Delano's plots. How are the later runs after Ennis'?
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Got myself Hellblazer vol 1 recently. I've almost finished it and it is confusing at times, but it certainly has its moments. Definitely looking forward to the Ennis stuff, which is supposed to be less convoluted and even better. Constantine is definitely a very intrigueing character and I'd love to read more about him, even tough I don't always understand Delano's plots. How are the later runs after Ennis'?
    Later runs are good too. A few of them are mixed but I think they're worth reading. In my opinion, in terms of quality, Hellblazer is the most consistent book with multiple runs from the big two.
    BB

I also support a sticky of this thread!

Recently I've read from Vertigo:
    Hellblazer: 1-13, 24, 27-31, 41-46, 134-143
    Lucifer: 1-33 (and the original 3 parter)
    Daytripper: all

Loved Daytripper. Absolutely loving Lucifer--pretty sure I like it, at least so far, better than Sandman. The stuff I've read of Hellblazer--which was Original Sins and the next storyline after it, Family Man, Gaiman's one-shot, Dangerous Habits, and Ellis' run--was all...fine...to me, I guess. This was my intro into Constantine away from his appearances in Moore's Swamp Thing run. None of it really grabbed me. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm not that into the character or the genre, but I'm left feeling flat about him.

I've also read the complete runs of Sandman, Swamp Thing (Moore's run), Transmetropolitan, American Vampire, Invisibles (vol. 1's 25 issues only), Preacher, and Scalped. And I've read many more Vertigo series in smaller, not close to complete, chunks like 100 Bullets, Animal Man, DMZ, Doom Patrol, Fables, Astro City, Northlanders, Shade the Changing Man, and Y the Last Man.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I also support a sticky of this thread!

Recently I've read from Vertigo:
    Hellblazer: 1-13, 24, 27-31, 41-46, 134-143
    Lucifer: 1-33 (and the original 3 parter)
    Daytripper: all

Loved Daytripper. Absolutely loving Lucifer--pretty sure I like it, at least so far, better than Sandman. The stuff I've read of Hellblazer--which was Original Sins and the next storyline after it, Family Man, Gaiman's one-shot, Dangerous Habits, and Ellis' run--was all...fine...to me, I guess. This was my intro into Constantine away from his appearances in Moore's Swamp Thing run. None of it really grabbed me. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm not that into the character or the genre, but I'm left feeling flat about him.

I've also read the complete runs of Sandman, Swamp Thing (Moore's run), Transmetropolitan, American Vampire, Invisibles (vol. 1's 25 issues only), Preacher, and Scalped. And I've read many more Vertigo series in smaller, not close to complete, chunks like 100 Bullets, Animal Man, DMZ, Doom Patrol, Fables, Astro City, Northlanders, Shade the Changing Man, and Y the Last Man.
    i'd love to hear your thoughts overall, not necessarily a ranking, but which series surprised you, which one stayed with you... and a personal ranking can't hurt, either

Well, let's see...

I would definitely say that the series that has "stayed with me" the most is Daytripper. Beautiful story, great beginning, middle and end limited series.

The series that "surprised me" has to be Moore's Swamp Thing. I say this because it was my first read of the character and I just knew going in that I wasn't interested in that character at all, but it's a legendary run, right? So I had to try it. Man was it good. But I am an Alan Moore fan.

All my comments about feeling flat about Constantine/Hellblazer still hold, none of it really grabs me.

Attempted ranking (of what I listed above). Any that I leave off, I feel I've not read enough of the series to rank it:

1. Saga of the Swamp Thing (Moore)
    2. Daytripper
    3. Scalped
    4. Lucifer
    5. Transmetropolitan
    6. Sandman
    7. Preacher
    8. American Vampire
    9. Hellblazer

First two trades of DMZ, but couldn't get into it. First three trades of 100 Bullets, it's fine, doesn't blow me away, waiting for a big digital sale. First three trade of Fables and just don't really care. First three trades of Astro City and it's awesome. First trade of Northlanders was entertaining. First trade of Y and I don't like any of the characters, will get the rest in a digital sale based on its reputation but I don't tend to like Vaughan's writing. First trade of Shade and not hooked, will be trying more at some point.

As for Invisibles, Animal Man, and Doom Patrol, Morrison and I just don't get along. It's not for my lack of trying. But I can't bring myself to care about the stories he's telling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by niconico00 View Post
    In the end I will probably buy them in digital format, but it's not the same! I don't even read e-books!
    It's not the same...it's better! Once I got my iPad mini with retina, I never cared if I ever saw another paper comic again. And...the good news is that DRM-free is in full advance, so for company's like Image, Oni, Valiant, I'm getting a PDF and a CBZ file...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I have no idea who any of those people are
    which i think is my point exactly.
    You might want to check out Simon Oliver...