Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Cap's "tarnished" reputation.

All of these new stories about Waid's run fixing Cap's tarnished reputation, and whether or not people will accept Steve, since his character is now a symbol of White Supremacy is ridiculous. Steve is no more guilty for his actions in this story as Matt was in Shadowlands and Peter was in Superior. The stories before this mind wiping by the skull by way of Kobik, showed the most heroic version of Steve in years with old man Rogers and clearly "real Steve" would never be a fascist. I can't wait to read about my favorite character back to normal. It's been a crazy What If story but there's no doubt that Cap is a victim of something horrible and deserves to be treated as a victim once he returns.

If Tony Stark can still have any semblance of a reputation after all the stunts he's pulled, willingly I might add, then I don't see Steve having much issue going forward once he becomes Cap again.

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    All of these new stories about Waid's run fixing Cap's tarnished reputation, and whether or not people will accept Steve, since his character is now a symbol of White Supremacy is ridiculous. Steve is no more guilty for his actions in this story as Matt was in Shadowlands and Peter was in Superior. The stories before this mind wiping by the skull by way of Kobik, showed the most heroic version of Steve in years with old man Rogers and clearly "real Steve" would never be a fascist. I can't wait to read about my favorite character back to normal. It's been a crazy What If story but there's no doubt that Cap is a victim of something horrible and deserves to be treated as a victim once he returns.
    I totally agree with this and also I miss What If Marvel needs it back for writers to have a place to do their crazy ideas and they won't affect continuity.

Secret Empire was too big a deal to completely sweep under the carpet. There has to be so.e sort of fall out, even though it wasn't Steve fault.

Steve eventually will get a free pass for what happened, and he should. He'said the victim there too. But it's very believable that it won't come ovenight.

Plus there's good drama to milk there. Marvel won't pass that up. But ultimately Steve will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Let's not forget Scarlet Witch who, like Daredevil, is possessed by a demon. And Vision who is affected by the computer virus for the second time.

Vision tried to take over the world while under the influence of a computer virus in Roger Stern's Avengers and got away without a trial.
    That's the thing about the Marvel Universe. You can do terrible Supervillainous stuff, but if you're an Avenger you usually end up with just a slap on the wrist, if you get punished at all .

It would be unrealistic for everyone to just forgive Steve, he killed Black Widow and many other heroes. Even with the Kobik, expecting everyone other hero to just say 'We accept you' is ridiculous there has to be some fall out.

You mentioned Superior Spider-Man. Don't most people not know that he was mind-swapped with Doc Ock? They also don't know that the new Superior Octopus is Otto Octavius. Likewise, won't most people not know that Cap was changed by Kobik?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's the thing about the Marvel Universe. You can do terrible Supervillainous stuff, but if you're an Avenger you usually end up with just a slap on the wrist, if you get punished at all .
    In comic perry much anything can be forgiven if you'be got the mind control/possession free pass. Hal Jordan murdered pretty much every being in all of time and space and he'said in the league (or at least I think he is ... not a regular DC guy). That's a higher kill count than Thanos and it got swept under the rug. Caps actions are nothing by comparison.

Incredible Member

I posted this in the Legacy thread but it goes here too, I don't think there is gonna be as much follow-up as people think per Waid's own words

"It's very much a hearkening back to a more bombastic, classic era of Marvel, with a more modern feel," said Waid. "Chris [Samnee] and I are working to wed the grandeur of the Silver Age Captain America of yore with today's Steve Rogers and today's Marvel Universe, and we're having a ball."

"Our issues are set several months after the conclusion of Secret Empire," Waid continued. "As great a story as that was, and we will refer to it, our mission is to look forward and create new adventures."

https://www.newsarama.com/36006-capt...el-legacy.html

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In comic perry much anything can be forgiven if you'be got the mind control/possession free pass. Hal Jordan murdered pretty much every being in all of time and space and he'said in the league (or at least I think he is ... not a regular DC guy). That's a higher kill count than Thanos and it got swept under the rug. Caps actions are nothing by comparison.
    And they basically did what they did with Scarlet Witch by saying he was effectively brainwashed when he did it so they could keep publishing him as a hero.

It's just comics at this point .

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Unless you're Cyclops.

But I suspect there's going to be a reset button to mitigate a lot of what happened anyway. It's a lot easier for a guy to be forgiven if the people "he" killed are up and walking around again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Unless your name is Hank Pym or Bruce Banner.

Cap wil skate but he should get some flack for a while at least from people who do not really know him.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Unless you're Cyclops.

But I suspect there's going to be a reset button to mitigate a lot of what happened anyway. It's a lot easier for a guy to be forgiven if the people "he" killed are up and walking around again.

As a fan of Cyclops and X-mens have to admit that appreciate the irony. Cyclops and Steve went through the same situation although Steve because of Vegas has a greater number of deaths in the backs, I am sure he will be treated much better than Cyclops was. And did not forget it was Steve who arrested him and hunted him with the Avengers and Shield for months.

But that's the difference between being an Avenger and the symbol of a nation and a mutant feared and hated for saving mutants .

Now about Steve's situation, it all depends on how they're going to do with Vegas if they delete that part do not see any more damage to Steve's reputation, but if they stick to it then you can not expect ordinary people to forget about it so soon.

It's not just about Steve after all Deadpool, Marial Hill, Thor, Punisher all of them at some point supported Hydra or is to blame for the current situationand and have to deal with it. I'm not saying they need to be arrested or punished but you can not ignore it as if nothing had happened. At least writers need to give them a arc of redemption so what happened to Wanda will not happen to them (marvel took years to give her an arc of redemption).

Well in a year, everything should be back to normal if marvel does everything correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    As a fan of Cyclops and X-mens have to admit that appreciate the irony. Cyclops and Steve went through the same situation although Steve because of Vegas has a greater number of deaths in the backs, I am sure he will be treated much better than Cyclops was. And did not forget it was Steve who arrested him and hunted him with the Avengers and Shield for months.

But that's the difference between being an Avenger and the symbol of a nation and a mutant feared and hated for saving mutants .

Now about Steve's situation, it all depends on how they're going to do with Vegas if they delete that part do not see any more damage to Steve's reputation, but if they stick to it then you can not expect ordinary people to forget about it so soon.

It's not just about Steve after all Deadpool, Marial Hill, Thor, Punisher all of them at some point supported Hydra or is to blame for the current situationand and have to deal with it. I'm not saying they need to be arrested or punished but you can not ignore it as if nothing had happened. At least writers need to give them a arc of redemption so what happened to Wanda will not happen to them (marvel took years to give her an arc of redemption).

Well in a year, everything should be back to normal if marvel does everything correctly.
    Well it was not this Steve who arrested him.

Scott did himself no favors escaping jail and becoming a fugitive. He had the possession get out of trouble card but did not play it with the general population

If Steve goes on the run then he will also undermine his rebuild.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post

Well Scott also escaped jail, even if his intentions were slightly well minded, he still escaped jail and he was bound to be hunted down by the AVengers and ignored by the X-men.

However, maybe this moment could have Steve reflect on past decisions in a new light, like Civil War and AvsX and even Time Runs out, and maybe see things a bit differently or at least understand the other side of the coin a bit better.