Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If it had, it would not have been something she went out of her way to do.
    And she didn't

Again...

If she is not, why even narrow down who they could be?
    why shouldn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    why shouldn't she?
    Simple.

It is a non-issue. Unless you buy into that "Who The Women Were." is the point.

Simple.

It is a non-issue. Unless you buy into that "Who The Women Were." is the point.
    If it's a non issue why do you keep harping on it? You're the one who keeps making it a point

Let's put it this way...

If you had left the following out of the article...

On the set of “Buffy,” Joss decided to have his first secret affair.
    he wrote me, “When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.” But he did touch it. He said he understood, “I would have to lie — or conceal some part of the truth — for the rest of my life,” but he did it anyway, hoping that first affair, “would be ENOUGH, that THEN we could move on and outlast it.”
    could you have just said...

Joss admitted that for the next decade and a half, he hid multiple affairs and a number of inappropriate emotional ones that he had with his actresses, co-workers, fans and friends, while he stayed married to me.

If you could have, why would you feel the need to include...

needy, aggressive young women
    when you could have left it out?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If Whedon cheated, that makes him a jerk in that instance, but to declare his work as overall non-feminist due to this is a bit ridiculous. People are complicated, he can produce great progressive art and still not be a saint in his personal life. Our society tends to villify cheating to a ridiculous degree, IMO. It's a really shitty thing to do, don't get me wrong, but it's ultimately between the two people in the relationship, and I think guilt and the relationship ending would be punishment enough. Especially if the cheater isn't a bad person in general, it's a mistake that shouldn't define who they are a person. Whedon didn't cheat on us, so who the Hell cares?

Now if he used his position to sleep with young actresses...that's pretty skeevy. But we don't know for certain that is the case. I'm really curious to see who they allegedly are. It can't be Carpenter, because she would have blown this whistle when he fired her.
    Was his work ever overall feminist to begin with? Was anything he ever did all that progress to begin with? I never really thought it was. I mean people (and himself) seem to like to talk it up that way, but is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Was his work ever overall feminist to begin with? Was anything he ever did all that progress to begin with? I never really thought it was. I mean people (and himself) seem to like to talk it up that way, but is it?
    That almost warrants it's own thread.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    He made a super hero show on television where the entire point was taking the monster movie cliche of the girl in the dark alley being preyed on by the monster and subverting it by empowering the women to be the super hero. The second most powerful character on the show was a witch who had near omnipotent power. The main male leads were the only one's without any power aside from the vampires who were redeemed in a way by falling in love with her. It was absolutely a female empowerment show. The show ended with a group of women around the world gaining super hero powers to take control of their own lives. It was pretty overt.

It was arguably the most important feminist show of all time if we are being honest and was years ahead of it's time.

I think his work has been up his own ass for a long time now, clinging to the legacy he left behind with Buffy, his one true great work. That's all I can judge though as these are products I can consume and have an opinion on. I know nothing about the man's private life and don't really want/need to, thus have no interest in drawing any judgments or conclusions about him as a human being based on the leaks of a scorned ex-wife.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    Its why I have adopted a 'separate art from artist' attuned to fiction now I am older...
    For me it depends - if the person is just a twit I can easily separate the artist from the art. If they go out of their way to be an ass it's harder, and if they use that fame to make the world a worse place it's not possible anymore once I know about it.

If you could have, why would you feel the need to include...

when you could have left it out?
    his words not hers. It doesn't matter how Cole phrased it. She'd still be getting the same reaction if not from you, then from someone else because every time a woman speaks out against an influential man in any industry the assumption will be that she has some hidden agenda other than getting the truth out
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-21-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Let's put it this way...

If you had left the following out of the article...

could you have just said...
    The differences are so minuscule they might as well be non existent. Which they are

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If you read her account, you'd know those were his words not hers.
    Exactly.

Which she included even though they didn't really have much to do with just saying "This guy had many affairs over the years."

If she had not included it, we would not be aware of it.

Exactly.

Which she included even though they didn't really have much to do with just saying "This guy had many affairs over the years."

If she had not included it, we would not be aware of it.
    Again, if it doesn't have much to do with it, why are you so hung up on it? You're the one choosing to make a big deal out of it not her