Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I really hope they use this as a way of reuniting the Lost guys with the rest of their team and then spin them out into their own series again. I really miss not having a Legion book each month.

Comics have been around since 1938 so everything tends to be a rehash. Putting the 31st century Legion permanently in the 21st century will allow them to join other groups like Justice League, Justice League United, Titans, etc.

Looks good - though I'm already reading JLU anyway.

As for the Legion, I don't want a reboot or relaunch. They were the first super team of the Silver Age and quite frankly I don't think any of the reboots have worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    Looks good - though I'm already reading JLU anyway.

As for the Legion, I don't want a reboot or relaunch. They were the first super team of the Silver Age and quite frankly I don't think any of the reboots have worked.
    That's kind of my point. The past few series haven't attracted readers as they have all been cancelled relatively fast. Just wipe out the timeline and start from scratch so new readers can identify with them and not be held hostage by past continuity.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Comics have been around since 1938 so everything tends to be a rehash. Putting the 31st century Legion permanently in the 21st century will allow them to join other groups like Justice League, Justice League United, Titans, etc.
    But that is not what would happen. A handfull might end up on other teams while the rest get put on the shelf. Then during the next big event the Legion members not considered the 10 or so best would end up cannon fodder and get slaughtered by the dozens. Don't believe me? Look up groups like the Darkstars, Omega Men or just look at any Teen Titan outside of the most know ones. Cannon Fodder.

The absolute last thing the Legion needs is to be in the 21st century where they are just another group. One of the 3 big pillars of the Legion mythos is THEY ARE IN THE FUTURE!!!!! The other two being they are teens/young adults and the 3rd being they are a very big team. Without those 3 things then you might as well not even bother calling them the Legion of Super Heroes.

Actually, Legion started as visitors from the future who helped out Superboy, Superman, Supergirl, Jimmy Olsen, etc. in the present so most of their early appearances were all in the present. In the beginning, they started out with only 3 members. I have to agree about the Legion being forever young to retain the iconic boy girl code names. I prefer the Legion to be the age of high school students to help justify the old boy girl code names. I do prefer a larger Legion that includes members from other Legion versions like Andromeda, Reflex, Neon, Computo, Danielle Foccart, Catspaw, XS, Kinetix, Kid Quantum Jazmin Cullen, Gear, Gazelle, etc.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 07-13-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

i actually liked more the legion members in the Legion Lost book.
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

BANNED

I just realized: Having an event around the Legion and showcasing them as guest stars in other heroes books was exactly my suggestion in the old "how would you bring back the Legion" thread before Crisis at old CBR.

Mighty Member

I dropped the last Legion run when the carnage started with Sun Boy. Which other members were killed?

BANNED

Could someone please explain to me why a New 52 version of Legion Of Super-Heroes is being brought back in a non-52 book? Injustice is not part of the core in any way, as far as I know, so it's really an odd decision to have readers seek out that universe when the series is already well into production.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post
    My thoughts exactly. At this point, the only people you run the risk of offending are hard core fans. The Legion needs a complete reboot to attract new readers and to dump all of the baggage of prior history. I'm an old school Legion fan from way back too but they need a complete revamp. Not new origins or anything. Just start as though its all new and go from there.
    Disagree. For me, Legion Of Super-Heroes needs to do the classic X-Men thing and introduce a character to act as our guide into the Legion. Have the new hero meet each member and start interacting with them so we can get to know who the Legionnaires really are.

Levitz's Legion Of Super-Heroes series didn't have that. The new characters became part of the tapestry of a team that had too many members with backstories you were missing (like why founding members aren't there any more) and villains who's motives weren't really explained again for new readers.

I said in the How to bring back the Legions topic a while back the best way to do it would be to just timejump a year or two with the Legion slowly coming back together after having disbanded after the chaos caused by the Fatal Five at the end of the last series. Now some major threat is creeping in on the edges of the United Planets and the team has to reform to prepare for it. It would be a fresh start without having to reboot.

I am not well versed in the Legion but I think that when this story is concluded we could see Supergirl and the new Justice League member on sort of a Legion exchange mission for at least a while.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Just as it is easy to do new gods of new genesis vs apokolips on earth, it is also easy to do rond vidar / legion of super heroes vs time trapper / legion of super villains on 21st century earth. In the early days of the Legion, they would travel to the present to help out the Superman family of characters. The Legion of Super Villains often travelled to the present to fight Superman. I am sure the Legion is an important property for dc since the Legion cartoon did last 2 seasons and they were able to use the boy girl code names too.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 07-13-2014 at 12:21 PM.

You miss the whole point. The Legion is THE team of the future. If you brought them all back here like you keep saying they would just become another in a crowded field of teams and would ALWAYS take a back seat to the Justice League and probably the Green Lantern Corps too. They would be pushed into the background. Yes they did come back into the past a lot in the Golden Age, but once they became there own thing instead of just Superman's pals that pretty much stopped for the most part.

L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. both were basically the Legion in the present day and where are either of those books now? Yeah. Gone even though they were great books.