Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default C-list cannon fodder: Has the practice ended?

I am unlucky in comic book love, I was brought into comic through the fox kids X-men and Spiderman. I found a comic shop around Operation: Zero Tolerance, i collected Generation X, X-force regularly and sometimes X-men and Uncanny X-men occasionally, X-man sporadically. I also followed Jay Feaber to New Warriors (Sought out back issues) and eventually got recommended Teen Titans, I also followed Gen 13 and DV8.

I loved the Teen Books

Did I Follow Young Avengers? Runaways? Initiative? Academy X/ New Mutants/ New X-men/ Avengers Academy? yes to all but through trades, I knew what I was getting into after Generation X but I just enjoyed these new characters. Their triumphs and tragedies, their loves and losses, their battles in which they survived by the skin of the teeth!

As for Generation X (My first love) Skin and Synch pointlessly killed off, Chamber and Jubilee Depowerd (Chamber got better later), Husk constant cameo'ed when she is not being made into....Angels...Waifu.....

Only Monet thrived out of the class, mostly due to Peter Davids X-factor, she was later used in Brian Woods X-men after Rouge was taken to Uncanny Avengers, and was a part of Magneto's team in Bunn's X-men. Teen Characters/ C-listers tended to become comic book equivalence to Star Treks: Red Shirts.

it-s-not-easy-being-a-red-shirt-from-star-trek.jpg

Having the New Warriors "Incompetence" set off civil war I figured either the powers that be severely disliked 90's characters or C-list Cannon Fodder (A trope I would discover around 2010)

But I have noticed something, New Warriors, New Mutants are not getting killed off anymore, in fact many are being resurrected. I heard Stature was killed but later brought back, in such a "Short" time!
    Has the trope of C-list cannon fodder become passe? Has the practice of killing younger hero's at a high rate finally ended?
    Last edited by Likewater; 09-17-2017 at 03:34 PM.

BANNED

Not really. There's been quite a number of C-listers still getting axed today. The most recent ones being Jack Flag, Alchemy, The OG Squadron Supreme, The Supreme Powers Squadron Supreme, The New Universe, Supreme Powers Nighthawk & the new Quasar.

Yeah. I think they learned their lesson after Avengers Arena. You get a few, but nowhere near as many, they mostly just end up in limbo instead.

Cassie Lang was brought back in Axis by an inverted Doctor Doom, who had killed her in the first place. However, her powers were diminished, so she never again suited up as Stature. After another heart transplant she was completely depowered (her heart was stolen by Cross, who became Yellowjacket) but she went to the Power Broker who turned her into Stinger, her identity from MC2.

Of the New Warriors from Civil War, Night Thrasher was rescued in Contest of Champions (from the moment Nitro went boom) and Namorita in the 2007-10 Nova series (from some time before the 2005 New Warriors series), both via time travel. As such only Microbe now died at Stamford.

Quasar? Alpha Flight Quasar?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    Quasar? Alpha Flight Quasar?
    No the guy with the wrist-bands that goes on cosmic adventure. The OG one retired & a new one named Arvil Kincad became Quasar.....Mostly to be a glorify macguffin before dying to Get The Space fairing heroes back to Earth in Secret Empire (though really it's only acknowledged in Captain Marvel's title since I doubt the original intention was that)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah. I think they learned their lesson after Avengers Arena. You get a few, but nowhere near as many, they mostly just end up in limbo instead.

Cassie Lang was brought back in Axis by an inverted Doctor Doom, who had killed her in the first place. However, her powers were diminished, so she never again suited up as Stature. After another heart transplant she was completely depowered (her heart was stolen by Cross, who became Yellowjacket) but she went to the Power Broker who turned her into Stinger, her identity from MC2.

Of the New Warriors from Civil War, Night Thrasher was rescued in Contest of Champions (from the moment Nitro went boom) and Namorita in the 2007-10 Nova series (from some time before the 2005 New Warriors series), both via time travel. As such only Microbe now died at Stamford.
    Nita has essentially disappeared since then.

Unfortunately true. Limbo is better than dead, though, at least she has a chance of appearing. If Nova's latest series hadn't been axed, it would've been nice to see her show up there. Could've had a love triangle involving Gamora and Rich. At the moment, GOTG is her best chance of showing up, since she was last seen with Robbie Rider and the rest of the Nova Corps after Rich's supposed demise, and Rich and the Corps have joined that book. Even New Warriors won't be likely for her now, since while I expect that book to relaunch next year, it'll probably be TV synergy, which means Nova and Nita are out and Mr Immortal and Squirrel Girl are in (along with a back from the dead somehow Microbe). And I can't see Namor getting his own book again any time soon, which is the series she originally came from.

They didn't have stupid slaughters like Childhood's end or Avengers Arena recently, but still, when you see a C-list character appear in a comics, you have to worry.
    Ask Victor Mancha (Vision), Jack Flag (Captain Hydra) or Rage (Captain Falcon).
    That was even more obvious with Alchemy in IvX. Those writers who care only about A, B list X-Men just remembered Alchemy existed? Uh-oh...

But yes, things may be a little bit better. When Guggenheim had that X-cutionner story in X-Men Gold, he killed an unknown mutant and another one who was just introduced in Blue (probably in that purpose). Kyle and Yost would probably have slaughtered Gentle or Transonic, and then maimed Hellion just to get some reaction from Laura.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 09-18-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    They didn't have stupid slaughters like Childhood's end or Avengers Arena recently, but still, when you see a C-list character appear in a comics, you have to worry.
    Ask Victor Mancha (Vision), Jack Flag (Captain Hydra) or Rage (Captain Falcon).
    That was even more obvious with Alchemy in IvX. Those writers who care only about A, B list X-Men just remembered Alchemy existed? Uh-oh...

But yes, things may be a little bit better. When Guggenheim had that X-cutionner story in X-Men Gold, he killed an unknown mutant and another one who was just introduced in Blue (probably in that purpose). Kyle and Yost would probably have slaughtered Gentle or Transonic, and then maimed Hellion just to get some reaction from Laura.
    They killed Rage!?

Victor Mancha? Ultrons son from Runaways?

What? Why? WHEN!

Rage was last shown to be in a coma shortly before Secret Empire in Captain America: Sam Wilson. He got framed for a crime (the real villain was Speed Demon) and then beaten up in prison. He was an inspiration for Rayshaun Lucas, the new Patriot.

Spoilers for the last two issues of Tom King's The Vision:
    spoilers:
    Victor accidentally killed Vin Vision after the ANAD Avengers sent him to spy on Vision's family. So Virginia Vision got revenge and phased Victor's heart out of him. Last line: "I will not be Victorious..." referencing his debut story in Runaways. Virginia paid for her crime - she committed suicide by drinking a corrosive agent. That ended Vision's maxiseries, with Vin's sister Viv surviving to join the Champions.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Unfortunately true. Limbo is better than dead, though, at least she has a chance of appearing. If Nova's latest series hadn't been axed, it would've been nice to see her show up there. Could've had a love triangle involving Gamora and Rich. At the moment, GOTG is her best chance of showing up, since she was last seen with Robbie Rider and the rest of the Nova Corps after Rich's supposed demise, and Rich and the Corps have joined that book. Even New Warriors won't be likely for her now, since while I expect that book to relaunch next year, it'll probably be TV synergy, which means Nova and Nita are out and Mr Immortal and Squirrel Girl are in (along with a back from the dead somehow Microbe). And I can't see Namor getting his own book again any time soon, which is the series she originally came from.
    You are a bit behind. Rich hasn't been Nova for years. Sam is Nova now, bc Tom Breevort just can't help being a jerk to the fans by keeping him "vanished".

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    They killed Rage!?

Victor Mancha? Ultrons son from Runaways?

What? Why? WHEN!
    Rage was beaten to death in prison, Victor accidentally killed Vision's son Vin and was then murdered in jail by Vision's wife who was also Wanda's crazy robot twin.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    You are a bit behind. Rich hasn't been Nova for years. Sam is Nova now, bc Tom Breevort just can't help being a jerk to the fans by keeping him "vanished".
    You're the one who's behind.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Nova_Vol_7

And...

BANNED

You're the one who's behind.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Nova_Vol_7

And...
    Thank you for answering the question I was just about to ask. I read Nova on MU so I am about six month behind so I just recently got to read Rider's return. I was afraid for a moment there that they had already killed him of again.

Rage was last shown to be in a coma shortly before Secret Empire in Captain America: Sam Wilson. He got framed for a crime (the real villain was Speed Demon) and then beaten up in prison. He was an inspiration for Rayshaun Lucas, the new Patriot.

Spoilers for the last two issues of Tom King's The Vision:
    spoilers:
    Victor accidentally killed Vin Vision after the ANAD Avengers sent him to spy on Vision's family. So Virginia Vision got revenge and phased Victor's heart out of him. Last line: "I will not be Victorious..." referencing his debut story in Runaways. Virginia paid for her crime - she committed suicide by drinking a corrosive agent. That ended Vision's maxiseries, with Vin's sister Viv surviving to join the Champions.
    end of spoilers
    Jesus !@#$ing Christ that's dark....

wow...