View Poll Results: Should Johnny be bisexual?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

63 31.34%
  • No

122 60.70%
  • Maybe

16 7.96%
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    But Storm, Mystique, Magik and Kitty Pryde are all bi. I think Claremont did make a fair amount of his mutants lgbt (the females at least).
    Mystique is confirmed to be bi. None of those other characters you listed have been confirmed in the comics to be bisexual and there are plenty of people on this site who will fight to the death arguing that they (especially Storm) are 100% heterosexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    As a bi guy myself, I think we really do need to see more bisexual characters in Marvel/fiction, specifically ones who are not just depraved villains...

Should Johnny be bi? I have little knowledge of his character but I guess, why not? I think it makes a little more sense that a character with as much history as Johnny would discover he was bi, over just gay. That was one of the things that disappointed me about Iceman's sexuality at first, but I think its worked out OK, and I have seen a few gay fans talk about how they actually related more to Bobby coming out as gay/hiding his sexuality for so long.
    I understand that opinion about Iceman being gay but you also have to bear in mind that there are people in real life who have tried to be heterosexual and have relationships with the opposite sex but eventually admitted they're gay.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Mystique is confirmed to be bi. None of those other characters you listed have been confirmed in the comics to be bisexual and there are plenty of people on this site who will fight to the death arguing that they (especially Storm) are 100% heterosexual.
    Given the reaction many fans still have with Bobby, I bet there are fans who will argue that Mystique & Iceman are still 100% hetro despite the confirmations!

Thats one of the downside of simply 'hinting' at sexuality rather then confirming it via story/dialogue. It meant you could get past regulations from a less open era, but unless you finally get around to confirming it (Like they did with Northstar) writers and fans will continue to ignore it.

Given the reaction many fans still have with Bobby, I bet there are fans who will argue that Mystique & Iceman are still 100% hetro despite the confirmations!

Thats one of the downside of simply 'hinting' at sexuality rather then confirming it via story/dialogue. It meant you could get past regulations from a less open era, but unless you finally get around to confirming it (Like they did with Northstar) writers and fans will continue to ignore it.
    Yeah, that's why I personally am sick of "subtext". I don't want hints, I don't want characters that I'm "allowed" to think are gay or might be gay. That kind of stuff was acceptable back in the dark ages of LGBT representation because that was all we could get, nowadays I expect more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Kitty Pryde is bi? Thats interesting must have missed that some how. Not sure any of the women who have been outed would make a cute couple with her. Be interesting to see what her type is when it comes to female. We all know how she likes guys named Peter.
    I thought Kitty and Rachel were hinted at liking each other that way. Maybe I was wrong.

I understand that opinion about Iceman being gay but you also have to bear in mind that there are people in real life who have tried to be heterosexual and have relationships with the opposite sex but eventually admitted they're gay.
    Oh indeed. As I said, I have seen fans who have said that's why they particularly loved how the situation was handled. At the time, I just felt that being outed as bi would have been a better choice. Admittedly, I am rather bias in-that I want to see more bi character in Marvel!
    Last edited by Valamist; 08-21-2017 at 08:07 PM.

BANNED

I prefer Captain America as bi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I thought Kitty and Rachel were hinted at liking each other that way. Maybe I was wrong.
    Hinted, yes. Confirmed, no. And that makes a world of difference to most comic book fans.

I guess there is nothing explicitly on-panel. But we have Word of God from Claremont saying that Rachel is the love of Kitty's life and intentionally wrote Kitty as Bi with Karma, coinciding it as her wanting to settle down but also not forget her place as a mutant.

For me, it puts her (as well as Rachel & Yana) a step above Claremont's standard Bi subtext.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Pheromone mind control powers on humans has nothing to do with real worl physics or chemistry.......
    Pheromones aren't mind control. Like, at all. We already know it deals with Daken's scent.

Isn't Mystique the only confirmed bisexual character in that list though?
    i preferred her when she was just a lesbian. it would have spared me the period where she was obsessed with Wolverine. the most touching Marvel story was her spreading of Destiny's ashes.

Yeah, that's why I personally am sick of "subtext". I don't want hints, I don't want characters that I'm "allowed" to think are gay or might be gay. That kind of stuff was acceptable back in the dark ages of LGBT representation because that was all we could get, nowadays I expect more.
    100% agree.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

I've never really thought Johnny was bi, but he definitely has a fetish for non humans (Lyja, Crystal, Medusa, just to name a few)
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    That's true. But I like to believe Johnny's matured since his early days. Or at least more...calmed down.
    Johnny's Johnny.

Johnny's got a thing for supervillains.

I see what you did there .

I don't think he'd ever want a repeat of that again though. Daken might remind him too much of Lyja.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Never in my wildest dreams did I think we would ever see a thread like this one... The times they are a changing it seems!