Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I own Blankets but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
    I really have to read Blankets. I loved Habibi and I would recommend that too, but I heard there was some controversy around it. (and maybe it's a bit too artsy-fartsy for people who basically just wants to "watch" a tv show or a movie just on paper).

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Eddie Campbell's Alec and Bacchus. How come nobody has mentioned them yet?
    I liked Campbell's artwork in From hell and was thinking about getting the Alec omnibus, I just haven't heard much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I liked Campbell's artwork in From hell and was thinking about getting the Alec omnibus, I just haven't heard much about it.
    I hate autobiographic comics, I think they are boring and generally pretentious, but Alec won me over. Here's an article about it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/...ddie-campbell/

I hate autobiographic comics, I think they are boring and generally pretentious, but Alec won me over. Here's an article about it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/...ddie-campbell/
    Thanks! Looks like something I have to check out.

Fantastic Member

Yeah I'd say Lemire's stuff (Essex County, Underwater Welder) would appeal to many readers. I'd also recommend My Friend Dahmer....really fascinating book.

If I had a friend who was into genre fiction (fantasy/sci-fi/horror) and asked me what I'd recommend for them in comics my ultimate rec would be Hellboy. It's just top of the heap afaic...

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zevious zoquis View Post
    Yeah I'd say Lemire's stuff (Essex County, Underwater Welder) would appeal to many readers. I'd also recommend My Friend Dahmer....really fascinating book.

If I had a friend who was into genre fiction (fantasy/sci-fi/horror) and asked me what I'd recommend for them in comics my ultimate rec would be Hellboy. It's just top of the heap afaic...
    Yeah, Hellboy is a great recommendation. It's known across other media, it's intelligent, great, classy looking art (I find that some art styles appeal a lot to non-comic book readers, like Alex Ross, Mike Mignola, Mike Grell, you know, the more kind of painted styles. You won't see someone read a Aja or Cooke comic as fast as one with a comic with those art styles) and it's a plot that will speak to many horror/fantasy/lovecraft fans. Plus it's just very good
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Amazing Member

I would say Miller's and Mazzucchelli Daredevil Born Again, Will Eisner's graphic novels.

What about Maus?

Habibi, Maus, Blankets, Persepolis, Daytripper, A contract with God, Ghost World, Little Nemo, Calvin & Hobbes (OK it's not a graphic novel but still), Peter Pan, Blacksad, Essex County, Black hole, The Underwater Welder, Tale of Sand, Building Stories, Jimmy Corrigan, Asterios Polyp, Watchmen, From Hell, Asterix, Tintin
    Last edited by Spirou; 07-13-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Extraordinary Member

Krazy Kat, Popeye,Little Nemo, anything by Lynd Ward.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 07-13-2014 at 07:08 PM.

locke & key, girls, bone, sweet tooth

burgboy82

100 Bullets, Scalped, Akira, Uzumaki

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Like anything, it just depends on the person's taste. There's no comic, no item of entertainment in any medium, that's a fit for everyone.

People are particular.

I don't think Kingdom Come has much to offer except the squee factor of aged recognizable superheroes, but The Kingdom does have a ton to offer. Notably, however, The Kingdom is not a huge seller, while KC stays continually in print so far as I've noticed.

Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 have traditionally outsold things like Scalped, both worldwide and in America. Does that imply that Sailor Moon has a broader appeal than Scalped? That one is superior to the other? Is Scalped harder to read/take than Sailor Moon? Those aren't really measurable or confirmable. I know which one sells more, and I know which I like. That's about as far as measurement can go. But, for someone else's shelf, their taste would factor in more than absolutely anything else.

Peanuts is one of the most widely available, most recognized comics on the planet, but how many people just read it in passing, because it's everywhere, as opposed to keeping a collection on the shelf?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud
    A Contract with God by Eisner
    The Complete Peanuts from Fantagraphics
    Barks or Rosa Ducks
    Alex Raymond Flash Gordon
    Russ Manning or Burne Hogarth Tarzan
    Sandman by Gaiman
    Maus
    Asterix and Tintin volumes
    Gareth Hinds' Shakespeare and Beowulf adaptations
    Chris Ware stuff like Jimmy Corrigan Smartest Boy on Earth
    March Book One

a lot of stuff from First Second Publishing like Saints, Boxers, Templars etc. that most shops never carry

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 07-14-2014 at 05:39 AM.

I hate autobiographic comics, I think they are boring and generally pretentious
    Which ones have you made think that?
    BB