All-New Member

Default Patches on Hellboy's coat?

Hey everyone! Without having to pour through the materials again, I was hoping you guys could help me out. I know there are a couple of patches on HB's jacket and was trying figure out colors and placement specifically. On his right arm, he's got the BPRD logo, it just has the symbol and no words or letters correct? What colors is it? And then below is a white square with a black clubs symbol from a deck of cards correct or is it a 3 leaf clover? Has any of this changed throughout his career? Am I missing anything else? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xmaulx View Post
    I know there are a couple of patches on HB's jacket and was trying figure out colors and placement specifically. On his right arm, he's got the BPRD logo, it just has the symbol and no words or letters correct? What colors is it? And then below is a white square with a black clubs symbol from a deck of cards correct or is it a 3 leaf clover? Has any of this changed throughout his career? Am I missing anything else? Thanks!
    The patches change or vary pretty significantly and they niftily form a means to date Hellboy's appearance to a degree.

Looking from specifically the Hellboy comics interiors and covers I'd say that from 1994 until August 2001 (in-story) Hellboy's coat usually displays a round black on light-grey/white B.P.R.D. emblem on his right arm upper sleeve, indicating how Hellboy will have been a bureau agent (as of August 1952). In 2001 Hellboy quits and beyond this time he doesn't wear the patch.
    Whereas a number of the shorter stories take place well before 1994, such as Hellboy: the Corpse & the Iron Shoes (taking place late 50s or early 60s), the cover of which depicts a green clover in a rectangular shape patch fitted under the emblem apparently.
    In other images these occasional "extra patches" may differ potentially as to underline some extraordinariness to the image, such as in case of for instance the 1999 B&W Musings #4 cover depicting a tiny black heart instead of a clover, or the special 1994 Hellboy Seed of Destruction litho depicting a red rose kind-of shape. Plus often enough rolled-up sleeves might obcure such patches should there be any.
    Another festive, out-of-the-ordinary image would be the giant (2010?) online store print - also used as cover for Hellboy: the First 20 Years HC - which shows a square turnip patch in place of the former BPRD emblem.

So depending how thorough you wanna be some good pouring through the materials would be in order I'd think
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-22-2017 at 07:35 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

All-New Member

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I was wondering if I might ask you a few more questions, not necessarily needing to take up board space. I can't seem to find a way to message or email members that I'd like to talk too, am I missing something or if I'm not is it frowned upon to ask someone to email you? Thanks again for the help!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!
    You're welcome.

I was wondering if I might ask you a few more questions, not necessarily needing to take up board space. I can't seem to find a way to message or email members that I'd like to talk too, am I missing something or if I'm not is it frowned upon to ask someone to email you? Thanks again for the help!
    Just ask away, board space is really not an issue and I trust what you have to ask will be appropriate on here.
    There is a PM function (called "notifications") clickable from the top left of your screen once you're logged on, but I personally hardly use it most of the time.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post

Just ask away, board space is really not an issue and I trust what you have to ask will be appropriate on here.
    There is a PM function (called "notifications") clickable from the top left of your screen once you're logged on, but I personally hardly use it most of the time.
    I appreciate it, I'm having trouble accessing that feature, is there a how to or can someone walk me through it. All it says is, "no new notifications" when I try and click on it. Yes, it's definitely all board appropriate, it's just that there are some very specific questions I'd like to ask a few members. I use several other message boards frequently and have for a very long time but I am striking out on this one! I feel pretty inept!

Edit: Now it shows up! I will be PMing some of you! HAHA!
    Last edited by xmaulx; 08-31-2017 at 08:32 PM.