Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Has a Marvel superhero ever smoked weed before?

Has a Marvel super hero ever smoked pot? Marijuana is becoming legal in more and more states, including my own. Marvel claims they want to be more diverse. Well stoners are a large subculture that Marvel seems to pretend doesn;t exist, and I have a feeling more and more of their fans are people who fall into this niche, myself included. I think it is time for a superhero to toke up once in a while, even if it is one of the more anti-hero characters, like Rocket Racoon. Are they afraid that there would be some public outcry against it? There are people who get angry when Marvel adds more minority and gay characters, but Marvel stands by their decisions because they are just trying to depict the way the world is. I just feel like Marvel needs a good stoner book, the way DC has always been very drug friendly with Swamp Thing.

I would support a stoner hero....not much would get done but seriously I think there is a lot to explore there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shishard View Post
    I would support a stoner hero....not much would get done but seriously I think there is a lot to explore there.
    Possible Stoner in my book.
    Hawkeye
    Deadpool.
    peter parker
    Gambit
    iceman
    johnnyTHT
    The Thing
    Sean banshee
    Tony stark
    logan.
    the entire cast of young avengers
    luke cage
    Shehulk
    kazar
    Typhoid mary
    Black Bolt
    Dazzler
    rogue

Incredible Member

The only Marvel stoner that comes to mind is the Superhero Squad Silver Surfer. Although maybe you could make a case for the regular Surfer also.

Chase Stein of The Runaways is a frequent user of cannabis.
    image.jpg

If you're interest in superhero who smoke weed, read The Bounce by Image comics.

Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

I feel like Man-Thing is definitely be a pothead. Literally. His face has plants growing on it.

BANNED

Adam X the X-Treme, likely.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Adam X the X-Treme, likely.
    Is that X-treme enough, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Marvel claims they want to be more diverse. Well stoners are a large subculture that Marvel seems to pretend doesn;t exist
    Oh, get stuffed. Your little subculture in no way compares to racial and sexual minorities. In fact, the main reason I support legalization is so pot culture will lose its self-righteous "alt" cachet.

(Jesus, what's next? Furries?)
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I don't think Marvel would ever recover from the backlash if they had a mainline protagonist who was revealed as a cannabis user. Already, there is the Quesada-led ban against cigarette smoking by the popular heroic characters. So no, it won't happen outside a MAX book.

Any Marvel hero who was in the military is likely out, since drug use is often disqualifying. You can get a waver, but the more you've used the less likely it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Oh, get stuffed. Your little subculture in no way compares to racial and sexual minorities. In fact, the main reason I support legalization is so pot culture will lose its self-righteous "alt" cachet.

Once you start getting rounded up by the police for a non-violent crime, I think you have some degree of understanding the minority experience. Being forced to treat your smoking like it is a taboo and being viewed by society as a criminal for something that isn't hurting anyone feels similar to how gays were treated back when sodomy laws were actively enforced. Before legalization, I always had to worry that if a co-worked heard I smoke that I would become a pariah, which led to me feeling alienated just to preserve my privacy. Now that it is legal, I don't need to feel like my personal life could jeopardize my professional one. But I am glad you support legalization, if only to get us to stop acting like we are a civil rights movement.

Also, Marvel publishes anti-drug PSA comics in conjunction with public health/social work outreach agencies. So, broadly speaking, you're just not going to get the shock-value issue where a hero character is revealed as a recreational toker.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post

I think Furries are well catered for in the MU, it's the Bronies I feel sorry for. Gorgon doesn't count
    Last edited by Shambles; 08-04-2015 at 05:09 PM.