View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 50 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354601001505501050 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I’ve been thinking of picking up Absolute Blackest Night, but what with the Green Lantern Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 1 and Brightest Day Omnibus on their way (both in my sights), what do you all think of the chances of DC releasing in the not so distant future a Blackest Night Omnibus or even more likely a Green Lantern Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 2 including the Blackest Night issues? The latter seems a very high probability.
    I wouldn't want Blackest Night in an omnibus that only included the Green Lantern Issues. You need at least the main event as well and preferably the GLC issues. With the solicit for the Vol 1 omni only including the GL issues of Sinestro Corp War I'm pretty concerned the GL omni's are going to be subpar and miss vital chunks of the overall story. The GL story grew too big for just the Geoff Johns issues and leaving out stuff not written by him is short-changing the overall epic.

For Blackest Night it would be good if they release a Blackest Night omni on it's own with the core series, the GL and GLC issues and the various tie ins. There is enough there for an omni to cover all that.

Post Blackest Night they really need to include GLC and Emerald Warriors as those stories paralleled the GL arc and provided some important background. Further on New Guardians also was closely tied in. Red Lanterns isn't necessary though.

Should probably add imo to all of the above.

Amazing Member

The Planetary Omnibus is officially showing as back in stock at Speedyhen for just under £24, for those who missed it last week.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    I wouldn't want Blackest Night in an omnibus that only included the Green Lantern Issues. You need at least the main event as well and preferably the GLC issues. With the solicit for the Vol 1 omni only including the GL issues of Sinestro Corp War I'm pretty concerned the GL omni's are going to be subpar and miss vital chunks of the overall story. The GL story grew too big for just the Geoff Johns issues and leaving out stuff not written by him is short-changing the overall epic.

For Blackest Night it would be good if they release a Blackest Night omni on it's own with the core series, the GL and GLC issues and the various tie ins. There is enough there for an omni to cover all that.

Post Blackest Night they really need to include GLC and Emerald Warriors as those stories paralleled the GL arc and provided some important background. Further on New Guardians also was closely tied in. Red Lanterns isn't necessary though.

I think anyone that has read any of Geoff Johns Green Lantern run would agree with at least most of what you say.

Based on the early solicitations, that Geoff Johns GL Omnibus is going to be a pretty incomplete story. It probably won't be incomprehensible, but if you only buy the Omnibuses, you'll be missing a lot. It seems like DC is going for a quick cash-in on the popularity of the series instead of actually trying to piece together the whole epic and release it in order. Granted, that task would be pretty tough, given the number of series and issues involved... We'd be looking at 3-4 Omnibuses (just to collect through Blackest Night). It just seems like a bad idea from the start...

I still have all of the issues in a hodgepodge of hardcovers and absolutes... At least through Blackest Night. If they tried to collect everything in order, I'd be all over the Omnibus and I'd be happy to double dip, but as it is, I'm going to pass.
    Last edited by Rorsch; 06-06-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Spectacular Member

I'd be happy enough with some thick 'Complete Green Lantern' trades as I'm not a huge fan of DC omnibus. They don't seem to chose to release much content in the larger trade format, they've got a few series like Hellblazer, Superman Vs Batman and one off like Batman Murderer/Fugitive so at least they are playing around with larger trades. I wish they would put out some more Superman stuff this way though!.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    I'd be happy enough with some thick 'Complete Green Lantern' trades as I'm not a huge fan of DC omnibus. They don't seem to chose to release much content in the larger trade format, they've got a few series like Hellblazer, Superman Vs Batman and one off like Batman Murderer/Fugitive so at least they are playing around with larger trades. I wish they would put out some more Superman stuff this way though!.

They did some more: Lucifer, Preacher, Batgirl/Robin, Great Darkness saga and an other Legion story too I think, Chase, Brubaker's Catwoman, Morrison JLA, they are starting Secret Six this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    They did some more: Lucifer, Preacher, Batgirl/Robin, Great Darkness saga and an other Legion story too I think, Chase, Brubaker's Catwoman, Morrison JLA, they are starting Secret Six this year.
    The Animal Man trades have gotten larger with each volume. They did the same when they put out Ennis's Hitman as well, with the last three being pretty big. There's also the recent Power Girl trade, Ostrander's Martian Manhunter and The Spectre both had at least 10 issues, and the first volume of a larger Nightwing series is later this year too.

and they just released a chunky trade of all the Jonah Hex vertigo mini's.
    Last edited by Orion; 06-06-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    and they just release a chunky trade of all the Jonah Hex vertigo mini's.
    Shadows West? Is it good? I've only read the pre NEW52 series by Palmiotti and Grey, and I really liked that, but the new52 series lost me quickly.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Shadows West? Is it good? I've only read the pre NEW52 series by Palmiotti and Grey, and I really liked that, but the new52 series lost me quickly.
    It is... different than both the recent series, and the original Jonah Hex stories. Much, much different. Lansdale goes for a far more (black) comedic tone, so both Jonah and the supporting characters make far more jokes than you'll read in any other Hex stories. There are a number of zany supporting characters, from little people to a fey ranch owner who loves Oscar Wilde and poetry, to an Indian named "Spotted Balls." It's Vertigo, so there's mild nudity and plenty of sex talk and cursing. And maybe the biggest change is the supernatural elements -- Lansdale is a horror writer, so each of the three miniseries involves things that Jonah would never encounter in his current series or the '70s one, from zombies to witch doctors to Lovecraftian monsters.

Man, I just don't know. I have a certain fondness for it just because it's such a different take on the character, but I could see fans of the more serious, straightforward Jonah Hex stories absolutely hating it. Tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    It is... different than both the recent series, and the original Jonah Hex stories. Much, much different. Lansdale goes for a far more (black) comedic tone, so both Jonah and the supporting characters make far more jokes than you'll read in any other Hex stories. There are a number of zany supporting characters, from little people to a fey ranch owner who loves Oscar Wilde and poetry, to an Indian named "Spotted Balls." It's Vertigo, so there's mild nudity and plenty of sex talk and cursing. And maybe the biggest change is the supernatural elements -- Lansdale is a horror writer, so each of the three miniseries involves things that Jonah would never encounter in his current series or the '70s one, from zombies to witch doctors to Lovecraftian monsters.

Man, I just don't know. I have a certain fondness for it just because it's such a different take on the character, but I could see fans of the more serious, straightforward Jonah Hex stories absolutely hating it. Tough call.
    I have nothing against the supernatural horror elements, but I've only read the more realistic version of Hex, which I really liked, but I usually like the Vertigo books, and a little sex talk and cursing suits the character perfectly for me.
    Definitely will keep an eye on this, thanks.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rorsch View Post
    I think anyone that has read any of Geoff Johns Green Lantern run would agree with at least most of what you say.

Based on the early solicitations, that Geoff Johns GL Omnibus is going to be a pretty incomplete story. It probably won't be incomprehensible, but if you only buy the Omnibuses, you'll be missing a lot. It seems like DC is going for a quick cash-in on the popularity of the series instead of actually trying to piece together the whole epic and release it in order. Granted, that task would be pretty tough, given the number of series and issues involved... We'd be looking at 3-4 Omnibuses (just to collect through Blackest Night). It just seems like a bad idea from the start...

I still have all of the issues in a hodgepodge of hardcovers and absolutes... At least through Blackest Night. If they tried to collect everything in order, I'd be all over the Omnibus and I'd be happy to double dip, but as it is, I'm going to pass.
    Thanks guys for your thoughts on the GL/Geoff Johns/Blackest Night issue. I'm definitely geared towards getting the GL Geoff Johns Omnibus. I might just wait for Vol. 2 to be solicited before I make a move for Absolute Blackest Night. If going by how quick JSA Omnibus Vol. 2 is being released following Vol. 1, it might not be too long before we hear someting with regards to GL Johns Omnibus Vol. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorsch View Post
    Same here. I have up to around Rage of the Red Lanterns in TPB and the rest in HC. I really need to grab the last couple of HC's at the very end of the run before they go oop. And yes, collected properly I'd also double dip, er triple dip as I have most of the series in floppy.

Just a heads up that the forum name has been tweaked to Classic Comics & Collected Editions, if you sub to the threads you may not notice but I reckon it's a lot better than just Classics & Collected.

Incredible Member

Seriously considering cancelling my GL Omni pre-order if it's as incomplete as you guys are suggesting. Very disappointing considering I've been hanging out for this one...

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Seriously considering cancelling my GL Omni pre-order if it's as incomplete as you guys are suggesting. Very disappointing considering I've been hanging out for this one...
    I'm not cancelling just yet. DC still has time to fix it and they have shown a willingness to do so in the past.