View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 728 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2286286787187247257267277287297307317327387788281228 ... LastLast
Results 10,906 to 10,920 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    RIMSHOT!
    lol
    Ididnt plan it that way, but now I am pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Take your pick: see below

Hellblazer? no, never, we'll be lucky if they get through the tpbs. I'm surprised they got this far.
    Swamp Thing? It's Alan Moore. Some day.
    Really? I thought for sure Hellblazer would at least get the first few issues out in Absolute. Moore could squeeze everything into an Omni, which might be better suited.

I had "world's greatest" at one point but eventually sold it. The art was gorgeous - especially Batman - but the stories were average at best and I just never figured I'd read it again.

How is Absolute Justice? Didn't the writer Ross teamed up with for all the Earth X series work with him on that?
    It's not bad, I enjoyed it.

It's no Kingdom Come or Marvels, but it's pretty solid. I haven't read Earth X, so I can't directly compare those two. I picked up Absolute Justice a few weeks ago off a seller from amazon for about 55 shipped, so even though its OOP, it's still reasonably priced

Quote Originally Posted by The Flicker Fade View Post
    Volume 2 is coming May 2, 2017:

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Mark-Wa...s=flash+waid+2

Collects THE FLASH #71-82, THE FLASH ANNAUL #6 and JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL QUARTERLY #10.

Considering annuals are usually twice the size of regular issues, that's 14 equivalent issues plus a story from JLQ.

Also, based on the solicit for vol 2, the solicit for vol 1 must be wrong. It must collect THE FLASH #62-70, THE FLASH ANNUAL #4-5, THE FLASH SPECIAL #1 and THE FLASH TV SPECIAL #1. That's about 15 equivalent issues depending on what the specials are, which I have no idea about (and don't care to research right now, heh).

So I'd say they're actually pretty large, on par with the Johns TPBs and other recent collections of old series like JLA, Superman/Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman, etc.

Yes it's still going to take forever.
    According to Amazon vol.1 contains #62-68. I think there skipping the Gorilla Warfare crossover with Green Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Really? I thought for sure Hellblazer would at least get the first few issues out in Absolute. Moore could squeeze everything into an Omni, which might be better suited.
    HB just isn't a seller. It's critically acclaimed but even in the end the monthlies weren't selling and the company was relying on trades to make it worth paying the creative team (is how I understand it). I'm not even sure what they'd put in Absolute form. Plus it's a 300 issue run (not counting, annuals, specials, etc.)

I'm having it bound in hardbacks as the tpbs come out. I'm trying to do it by author.

Re: Swamp Thing. Yes, DC could easily collect that in an omnibus but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually made it's way to Absolute. The art is gorgeous and DC has made an effort to put all Alan Moore in Absolute. (Heck, even the "Black Dossier" was published in that edition.) It's been awhile for him, tho. I think Top 10 was his last collection.

I also figure that Tom Strong will get an Absolute, since that's the last ABC series by Moore that hasn't been collected in the format (not counting the series that contained a bunch of short stories).

HB just isn't a seller. It's critically acclaimed but even in the end the monthlies weren't selling and the company was relying on trades to make it worth paying the creative team (is how I understand it). I'm not even sure what they'd put in Absolute form. Plus it's a 300 issue run (not counting, annuals, specials, etc.)

I'm having it bound in hardbacks as the tpbs come out. I'm trying to do it by author.

Re: Swamp Thing. Yes, DC could easily collect that in an omnibus but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually made it's way to Absolute. The art is gorgeous and DC has made an effort to put all Alan Moore in Absolute. (Heck, even the "Black Dossier" was published in that edition.) It's been awhile for him, tho. I think Top 10 was his last collection.

I also figure that Tom Strong will get an Absolute, since that's the last ABC series by Moore that hasn't been collected in the format (not counting the series that contained a bunch of short stories).
    Maybe once Moore officially retires from comics, it will see the light of day.

I've read almost all the new HB trades that came out so far, only read part of vol4, and don't know if anything would be absolute worthy on it's own. The Ennis and Jenkins runs are great and I'm a big fan of Dillon and Phillips but I would rather have 7-800 pages hardcovers than absolutes.
    Maybe a best of Hellblazer collecting stuff like the David Lloyd annual or whatever was that. That art looked really cool.

About Tom Strong... I don't know what do make of that book. Read the first deluxe and after a bland start I warmed up to it by the end but when I've started to read the 2nd volume with them going back to the cartoon world and then those parody issues I've put it back on the shelf quickly. Those "fun" stories are the death of me. Still debating if I should keep it and get back to it later since v1 was quite good although not up to my favourite Moore books, or just sell both volumes.

Fantastic Member The Flicker Fade's Avatar

I had "world's greatest" at one point but eventually sold it. The art was gorgeous - especially Batman - but the stories were average at best and I just never figured I'd read it again.

How is Absolute Justice? Didn't the writer Ross teamed up with for all the Earth X series work with him on that?
    It's good, but it's not a masterpiece. The only reason it rates an Absolute edition is Ross's art.

All right, so in the wake of Nocenti's Catwoman, I'm re-evaluating my goal of reading everything Bat in the N52. I have to ask:

Is Batwing any good, or worth reading anyway? The David Zavimbe stuff seems entirely unrelated to Batman (except for a Night of the Owls issue I haven't even come across a single reference to him in anything I've read so far) and "Luke Fox" seems like such a terrible Mary Sue character, an absolutely terrible idea to add to the Bat mythos. I do frequently enjoy Jimmy Palmiotti though. Are either vol 1-3, or vol 4-5, worth reading?

How about any of Red Hood and the Outlaws? Yes, I've seen panels from the first issue and I know what Scott Lobdell did to Starfire, and no, I'm not in any way on board with that sort of thing. But is it worth gritting my teeth about that stuff and reading it anyway? Any important story elements or enjoyable issues in there? I know James Tynion IV writes a League of Assassins arc at some point, is that worth it? Anything with Talia sounds like it may be important to the overall Bat narrative, but if the Lobdell stuff is so badly written it keeps company with Nocenti's Catwoman, damn that's going to be tough . . .

It's good, but it's not a masterpiece. The only reason it rates an Absolute edition is Ross's art.

All right, so in the wake of Nocenti's Catwoman, I'm re-evaluating my goal of reading everything Bat in the N52. I have to ask:

Is Batwing any good, or worth reading anyway? The David Zavimbe stuff seems entirely unrelated to Batman (except for a Night of the Owls issue I haven't even come across a single reference to him in anything I've read so far) and "Luke Fox" seems like such a terrible Mary Sue character, an absolutely terrible idea to add to the Bat mythos. I do frequently enjoy Jimmy Palmiotti though. Are either vol 1-3, or vol 4-5, worth reading?

How about any of Red Hood and the Outlaws? Yes, I've seen panels from the first issue and I know what Scott Lobdell did to Starfire, and no, I'm not in any way on board with that sort of thing. But is it worth gritting my teeth about that stuff and reading it anyway? Any important story elements or enjoyable issues in there? I know James Tynion IV writes a League of Assassins arc at some point, is that worth it? Anything with Talia sounds like it may be important to the overall Bat narrative, but if the Lobdell stuff is so badly written it keeps company with Nocenti's Catwoman, damn that's going to be tough . . .
    I'd say try Judd Winick Batwing. Its vol 1-3 and deals with a Batman in a different environment.

I'd say give RHatO a try. The starfire thing is a YMMV but after that first issue things do get better. Specifically issue 6. If not, I'd suggest Redhood and Arsenal and Redhood Rebirth. Both are much better starts for the Lobdell stories.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I heard the last part of Batwing was really good and underrated. Never read it myself. RhatO wasn't terrible. It was very bland story wise, but entertaining. Its like a 90s comic, lots of guns, lots of violence and lots of action. I only read V.1, but I'd like to check out V.2 at least. I hear its pretty okay. I read the Teen Titans crossover that happened during the Death of the Family arc, and it was surprisingly decent and interesting.

Amazing Member

Im looking at Waids Flash collection and it looks...small. Johns Flash collects about 12 issues a pop probably DC trying to make it a year per volume. Waids looks a lot lighter. Didn't he do a five year run? I was hoping for fat trades like the new printings of 52 or Wonder Woman by Rucka.
    I don't think it's a small collection. Each of the annuals has over 50 story pages, and so does the 50th Anniversary Special, assuming they'll include it in full and not just the 21 pages Waid wrote. It all amounts to 368 pages according to Amazon, which is about 15 regular issues' worth of material. I'm just surprised they're also including the story Waid wrote for the TV special, which I thought they'd skip because it's not part of comic book continuity.

Volume 2 is coming May 2, 2017:

https://www.amazon.com/Flash-Mark-Wa...s=flash+waid+2

Collects THE FLASH #71-82, THE FLASH ANNAUL #6 and JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL QUARTERLY #10.

Considering annuals are usually twice the size of regular issues, that's 14 equivalent issues plus a story from JLQ.

Also, based on the solicit for vol 2, the solicit for vol 1 must be wrong. It must collect THE FLASH #62-70, THE FLASH ANNUAL #4-5, THE FLASH SPECIAL #1 and THE FLASH TV SPECIAL #1. That's about 15 equivalent issues depending on what the specials are, which I have no idea about (and don't care to research right now, heh).

So I'd say they're actually pretty large, on par with the Johns TPBs and other recent collections of old series like JLA, Superman/Batman, Nightwing, Catwoman, etc.

Yes it's still going to take forever.
    I believe it's the solicit for vol. 2 that's wrong, since issue #82 is the penultimate chapter of the "Back on Track" arc, which means it wouldn't work as an ending point for the TPB. Also, if they added issues #69-70 to volume 1, they'd also have to add Green Lantern #30-31 to it in order to complete the "Gorilla Warfare" crossover, which would up the page count to over 450.

If they made each volume 450-500 pages long, they could collect Waid's entire run in 7 TPBs. However, assuming they'll be in the 350-400 range, there should be a total of 8 volumes, which is a lot but still not as many volumes/years as DC's taking to collect stuff like Byrne's Superman and Grell's Green Arrow, which are shorter runs than Waid's Flash.
    Last edited by Starro; 11-02-2016 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starro View Post
    I don't think it's a small collection. Each of the annuals has 56 pages, and so does the 50th Anniversary Special, assuming they'll include it in full and not just the 21 pages Waid wrote.

I believe it's the solicit for vol. 2 that's wrong, since issue #82 is the penultimate chapter of the "Back on Track" arc, which means it wouldn't work as an ending point for the TPB. Also, if they added issues #69-70 to volume 1, they'd also have to add Green Lantern #30-31 to it in order to complete the "Gorilla Warfare" crossover.

If they made each volume 450-500 pages long, they could collect Waid's entire run in 7 TPBs. However, assuming they'll be in the 350-400 range, there should be a total of 8 volumes, which is a lot but still not as many volumes/years as DC's taking to collect stuff like Byrne's Superman and Grell's Green Arrow, which are shorter runs than Waid's Flash.
    Thats interesting how the annuals are much larger than they presently are. I guess I didn't realize how large they are.

Thats interesting how the annuals are much larger than they presently are. I guess I didn't realize how large they are.
    I think some of the annuals might have included reprints of various first appearances.

I think some of the annuals might have included reprints of various first appearances.
    Makes sense. Im very excited to read it either way. I'm glad I can stop hunting the OoP trades of Flash now.

All-New Member

I'm really hoping Vertigo does a lot of Absolutes. It'll be forever but I'm really hoping on Fables and Scalped also. Vertigo used to be so good but I think Image stole all their business.