View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 788 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 2886887387787847857867877887897907917927988388881288 ... LastLast
Results 11,806 to 11,820 of 21672

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    LOL, I'm not sure if you liked it or not. Way too long and boring.
    That's how I felt. Although add in "overwritten, pretentious and unnecessary" and you pretty much sum it up.
    They took something that was fixed and stood the test of time (Miller's Year One) and essentially broke it.

That's part of Snyder's problem: He likes to shit on everything, whether it's good or bad. I'm not even going to get into the three Joker thing or this new Two Face duality.

I like his American Vampire. I wish he'd stay the fuck away from Batman. Same with King.

But I digress.
    totally agree, his style fits horror much much more. Although people swear Court of owls is an all time classic but I just can't make myself to buy it and read it again. Maybe one day.
    Maybe he needs a co writer? His set ups are good but the resolutions are laughably flat and dull, over written and has no punch at all in his superhero work.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    totally agree, his style fits horror much much more. Although people swear Court of owls is an all time classic but I just can't make myself to buy it and read it again. Maybe one day.
    Maybe he needs a co writer? His set ups are good but the resolutions are laughably flat and dull, over written and has no punch at all in his superhero work.
    Court if Owls is pretty good. Instant classic? No. He did a good job at making everything feel natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilynne View Post
    Court if Owls is pretty good. Instant classic? No. He did a good job at making everything feel natural.
    especially the part when Batman drives a speedbike towards a train, jumps on top of the train and then if I remember correctly jumps on a helicopter?
    or the natural part when he hangs on an airplane turbine by the power of his finger muscles while the main villain is delivering his monologue and everything is perfectly audible.
    gosh I loved how natural those parts felt.

although nothing comes close to the kryptonite chewing gum that he keeps in his tooth just in case Superman goes rogue and the only solution to defeat him is to spit in his face. But that was a later story.

especially the part when Batman drives a speedbike towards a train, jumps on top of the train and then if I remember correctly jumps on a helicopter?
    or the natural part when he hangs on an airplane turbine by the power of his finger muscles while the main villain is delivering his monologue and everything is perfectly audible.

although nothing comes close to the kryptonite chewing gum that he keeps in his tooth just in case Superman goes rogue and the only solution to defeat him is to spit in his face. But that was a later story.
    The natural writing. Not actions. It feels established in the mythos.

Yeah completely agree. He just cannot deliver a good climax. It just fizzles. The guy needs an editor. And Court of Owls? Uhg.

But that art was beautiful.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    Jesus, Krisis. You're a madman!

If you're looking for a chronology site, http://www.dcindexes.com has pretty much every DC issue up until rebirth. Its been useful for me as a resources.

By the way, do you know of any good chronology sites? I've been looking for an up to date one for Marvel for a while, but the best one I've seen, http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/, is only around 2008/2009.
    Thanks for the DC chronology link! Although, looking at Wonder Woman on the one you linked, it doesn't seem to even get through her Post-Crisis series - maybe I'm using it incorrectly. I've been referring to http://dcuguide.com/, which drops off a bit after Infinite Crisis.

For Marvel Chronology I exclusively refer to http://www.chronologyproject.com/, but it trails off after 2010 for most characters. It's not the most modern of websites (what I wouldn't give to fix it up!), but it matches 99% with Marvel's own Official Indexes, so it's good enough for me
    Last edited by krisis; 01-05-2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Thanks for the DC chronology link! I've been referring to http://dcuguide.com/, but it's not as complete at that one and drops off a bit after Infinite Crisis.

For Marvel Chronology I exclusively refer to http://www.chronologyproject.com/, but it trails off after 2010 for most characters. It's not the most modern of websites (what I wouldn't give to fix it up!), but it matches 99% with Marvel's own Official Indexes, so it's good enough for me
    Yes, you are a madman. All that seemingly came out OVERNIGHT! Great job

The natural writing. Not actions. It feels established in the mythos.
    I know I'm just taking the piss. Although that might be the only thing natural in his writing, maybe dialogues too, can't remember but his narrations and inner monologues are just the worst.

But I agree on the art with TomSlick. Capullo is the best of the famous 90's artists.

I know I'm just taking the piss. Although that might be the only thing natural in his writing, maybe dialogues too, can't remember but his narrations and inner monologues are just the worst.

But I agree on the art with TomSlick. Capullo is the best of the famous 90's artists.
    I'm excited Capullo is coming back...but his faces are so ...bland.

Your post cracks me up!!!
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Ha ha, I love this phrase. My friends would probably think I was crazy if I said it, tho.

Yeah, Capullo is so good. Years and years ago, I tried to read Spawn. I hunted down about the first 100 issues give or take. As I was making my way through it (God, that stuff is awful), I noticed that the art looked similar to Todd's but better. I remember the letter writers bitching about it. I thinking: This is good art.

I don't think I'd read anything else since then that featured his art until Batman. It really is nice and I can see why DC has put that first arc in Absolute edition. I just can't stand the writing. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Ha ha, I love this phrase. My friends would probably think I was crazy if I said it, tho.

Yeah, Capullo is so good. Years and years ago, I tried to read Spawn. I hunted down about the first 100 issues give or take. As I was making my way through it (God, that stuff is awful), I noticed that the art looked similar to Todd's but better. I remember the letter writers bitching about it. I thinking: This is good art.

I don't think I'd read anything else since then that featured his art until Batman. It really is nice and I can see why DC has put that first arc in Absolute edition. I just can't stand the writing. LOL
    I think it's a Brittish phrase but you can try to use it maybe it will stick with Americans eventually

I had the same with his Spawn, got a random issue years ago with his art and I was quite impressed (I was probably around 17. Then also noticed his art on an Iced Earth album cover). IIRC he changed his style for Batman because he wanted to bring his A game to the title.

I think it's a Brittish phrase but you can try to use it maybe it will stick with Americans eventually

I had the same with his Spawn, got a random issue years ago with his art and I was quite impressed (I was probably around 17. Then also noticed his art on an Iced Earth album cover). IIRC he changed his style for Batman because he wanted to bring his A game to the title.
    Capullo did artwork for Iced Earth??

Spectacular Member Master Destructo's Avatar

Year Two was erased from continuity thanks to Zero Hour. I imagine DC wants to separate any confusion when following Batman chronologically. The Long Halloween is considered a follow up more these days. I'm guessing DC is publishing some old Batman stories in this caped crusader series, because they don't quite fit elsewhere.

Although to be fair, I also read that Batman Zero Year is now the official Batman origin story....so...
    Sounds plausible. I guess we should be grateful that they still call it Batman Year One and not something else. With the new Year Two volume, I wish they'd just called it "Fear the Reaper" like the old trade. I worry that this Volume 1 will just end up being a shelf orphan.

I love Capullo's art on Batman too but the only thing I don't like is his Bruce Wayne face.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"