Page 747 of 865 FirstFirst ... 247647697737743744745746747748749750751757797847 ... LastLast
Results 11,191 to 11,205 of 12974

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
    Quick question I'm having a hard time googling:

I've really, REALLY enjoyed the recent 'absolute size' collections from Dark Horse and Image. Something about these huge tomes with nice thick paper just feels amazing to flip through and soak in. I've recently read through Remender's Low and the three Tomb Raider archive books (I also own Colossal Conan and Fear Agent). Is there a schedule for things like this that are coming out? I was thinking that since we're seeing old Image/Top Cow stuff like Tomb Raider get the absolute treatment maybe Gen 13 could be feasible too.

To get back to the point, what (non Marvel/DC) absolute-sized collections would you folks recommend for a fan of the format and is there a list of upcoming giant HCs? OHCs are great too if there's a really good one to recommend, but I'm loving these huge tomes!
    There isn't any list and also no schedule. Particularly when it comes to Image there's no rhyme or reason to what is published in this format and what not.

Of the same dimensions and outside of DC/Marvel I'd suggest:

- Hellboy Library Editions (Dark Horse)
    - Black Science (Image)
    - Kabuki Library Edition (Dark Horse)

I also love "Martha Washington" by Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons, but that's been OOP for a while now and hard to come by for a decent price.

Many people also like the Goon Library Editions (Dark Horse), of which I have the first volume. But it didn't grab me so I won't get any more.

If you're into Walking Dead, then there are "Absolute Editions" as well, collecting 24 issues each.

In casd you like old comic strips, there are the Flash Gordon collections by IDW/LoAC, which are even taller than Absolutes (considerably), or the Fantagraphics "Prince Valiant" collections. The biggest books out there atm are the Artist's Editions by IDW and others which collect the original artwork and can be up to 23" tall.

Mighty Member

Afaik Remender's stuff is the only thing (besides WD) currently getting that size treatment at image. Chew has three slipcase editions (v1 is pricey) along with a few Luna brothers works (Girls, Ultra, the Sword) but i think those are oop as well. And of course the Invincible slipcase editions, which were apparently discontinued a few volumes in.

The LE stuff is released really randomly. Recently ypu have the End League, and a lot of those 80s based comic series (Predator, Aliens, etc) are getting released at that size, though not LEs proper. In edition to lordjulius, I'd recommend the Massive LEs, especially if your looking for something outside of capes.

Oh and Oni had the Sixth Gun HCs which are slightly larger than absolutes.

Theres also the The Boys Definitive Editions from Dynamite. And Ireedeemable Premiere Editions from Boom!
    Humanoids also put out various books in Absolute-sized tomes.

Gen13 is owned by DC now. Theyre putting out an Absolute WildCATS soon, collecting a bunch of Jim Lees material, plus a new printing of the The Authority Absolutes but afaik theres no plans for Gen13. Theres a trade upcoming but thats been moved back a few times so might be cancelled...

Others in that size: the recent Dark Horse Aliens, Predator, and Terminator collections; and the original TMNT ultimate collections (along with a lot of other IDW books).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    Afaik Remender's stuff is the only thing (besides WD) currently getting that size treatment at image. Chew has three slipcase editions (v1 is pricey) along with a few Luna brothers works (Girls, Ultra, the Sword) but i think those are oop as well. And of course the Invincible slipcase editions, which were apparently discontinued a few volumes in.

The LE stuff is released really randomly. Recently ypu have the End League, and a lot of those 80s based comic series (Predator, Aliens, etc) are getting released at that size, though not LEs proper. In edition to lordjulius, I'd recommend the Massive LEs, especially if your looking for something outside of capes.

I have in the back of my head that the upcoming Descender HC (Lemire) will be as big as Remender's stuff, but can very well be mistaken.

Seeing Ultra mentioned here, I recently read the TPB (got it for 10 EUR) and found it quite bad. Same as for Alex+Ada, there idea on which it's based is very interesting but they make nothing with it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I live in the Netherlands and I always get a track and trace. And he has the best packaging. If you order today then it'll be send out tomorrow. For me that means that I've got it a day later. For you it will be a couple of days later I guess.
    Thanks for the info.
    That is a great help to decide from where i will order the Omnibus.

Spectacular Member

It has been some time but wanted to give an update on these Icon Brubaker HCs (Incognito and Criminal 1 and 2): finally received the first Criminal Volume from amazon (Germany), which was a pleasant and unsuspected surprise (got the other Volumes from my local store). I even saw that the second Volume is shown as "in stock".

I also did my preorders for the first months of 2018 and had a very unpleasent surprise: the afore mentioned Vertigo by Brubaker (Collects VERTIGO VISIONS: PREZ #1, WINTER'S EDGE #2, GANGLAND #3 and DEAD BOY DETECTIVES #1-4.) has vanished (at least from amazon). That would have been one of my two missing pieces for my collection of his work. Any news on that one?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post

The recent The Goddamned HC from Image is also "Remender-sized." The volume is thin but the height dimensions are big. It's funny because the Aaron HCs from Image are now either regular-sized (Southern Bastards, The Other Side) or Absolute-sized (The Goddamned).

Quote Originally Posted by Stargasm View Post
    I have in the back of my head that the upcoming Descender HC (Lemire) will be as big as Remender's stuff, but can very well be mistaken.

Seeing Ultra mentioned here, I recently read the TPB (got it for 10 EUR) and found it quite bad. Same as for Alex+Ada, there idea on which it's based is very interesting but they make nothing with it.
    weird, I've absolutely loved Alex+Ada. It was just a very nice and unique love story, as for the concept and the whole AI discussion, I don't think that was the main point of the book, there is plenty of sci-fi that focuses on that aspect, in this one to me it was just a setting to tell an unusual but very sweet love story.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    It has been some time but wanted to give an update on these Icon Brubaker HCs (Incognito and Criminal 1 and 2): finally received the first Criminal Volume from amazon (Germany), which was a pleasant and unsuspected surprise (got the other Volumes from my local store). I even saw that the second Volume is shown as "in stock".

I also did my preorders for the first months of 2018 and had a very unpleasent surprise: the afore mentioned Vertigo by Brubaker (Collects VERTIGO VISIONS: PREZ #1, WINTER'S EDGE #2, GANGLAND #3 and DEAD BOY DETECTIVES #1-4.) has vanished (at least from amazon). That would have been one of my two missing pieces for my collection of his work. Any news on that one?
    Vertigo has been a mess lately with books either cancelled outright before they come out or cancelled after one volume. At this point Vertigo can't be trusted to publish or finish publishing anything in their solicits. Unless you have a physical copy in your hands, don't assume anything new from them will actually be published.

Mighty Member

I've never read any of them myself, but i seem to hear more good things about the other two works fwiw. I agree A&A was an interesting premise that started out strong and kinda fell flat at the end.

That would be great news for Descender, though that's the first I've heard of it.

Descender will be a normal OHC.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Descender will be a normal OHC.
    Went back and checked, and you're right! Apologies for any hopes up, guys

@Balakin: granted it's ok and I agree with you, kind of a sweet love story but I still feel it could have been much more. Perhaps it's a case of being over hyped by what I read online prior to reading the entire book, and that's on me . Also, seeing that Image has published the Luna Brothers' books in absolute-sized books, I expected a bit more.

Went back and checked, and you're right! Apologies for any hopes up, guys

@Balakin: granted it's ok and I agree with you, kind of a sweet love story but I still feel it could have been much more. Perhaps it's a case of being over hyped by what I read online prior to reading the entire book, and that's on me . Also, seeing that Image has published the Luna Brothers' books in absolute-sized books, I expected a bit more.
    I might just be a sucker for a good love story But lately I've realised world building and high concept means nothing to me without a good human element and gripping storytelling and I think the Luna brothers are really good at those so as long the books (any books) keep me engaged I'm not that fussed about the potentials.
    Recently read Tokyo Ghost and was completely left cold by the otherwise brilliantly depicted satirical distopian future world until we got to the actual personal story of the main characters. Shame it kept switching back to 2000AD type madness.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by poolovision View Post
    Upon further research this has in fact been cancelled. According to Edelweiss at least.