View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1007 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 7507907957997100310041005100610071008100910101011101710571107 ... LastLast
Results 15,091 to 15,105 of 21662
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    The Morrison omnibus will be great to have as the material is top notch, but it is going to be disappointing if they do not add in Arkham and Gothic.
    No, that's the least of concerns. I don't need them in there at all, it's all about the 2006 forward run. How DC will deal with 52's Batman portions in N.Parbat, Morrison's two issues of Resurrection of Ra's, how they deal with Final Crisis portions, and how they deal with the issue order for Vol 2 are much bigger concerns.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-06-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    No, that's the least of concerns. I don't need them in there at all, it's all about the 2006 forward run. How DC will deal with 52's Batman portions in N.Parbat, Morrison's two issues of Resurrection of Ra's, how they deal with Final Crisis portions, and how they deal with the issue order for Vol 2 are much bigger concerns.
    According to the description on Amazon, Final Crisis wil be included:

One of the greatest storytellers of his generation, Grant Morrison's arrival onto the Dark Knight was one of the most hyped debuts in industry history. This collection includes time-spanning epic graphic novels featuring the cataclysmic events of FINAL CRISIS and the introduction of Batman's son, Damian Wayne! These blockbuster stories featured a deconstruction of super hero comics like never before, with challenging, thought-provoking takes on the modern, four-color icons.

https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Grant-...eywords=batman

Incredible Member

I checked the JL: Detroit Omnibus in the store today, it was sealed but according to the back cover it contains:

Justice League of America 233-239, 241-261, Justice League Annual 2-3, JLA Classified 22-25, JSA Classified 14-16, DC Retroactive 80s #1, Infinity Inc 19

Also other releases today:

Suicide Squad vol 7 - Suicide Squad 50-58
    The Batman & Robin Adventures vol 2 - B&RA 11-18 & Annual 1

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^
    Anyone have an idea on why DC Collections Dept skipped issue #240?

JLA 240.jpg

This Omni wraps up the original run of JLA so we have an endpoint and a few Silver Age Omnis at the start. Now to fill in the gaps!!
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 12-06-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post

One of the greatest storytellers of his generation, Grant Morrison's arrival onto the Dark Knight was one of the most hyped debuts in industry history. This collection includes time-spanning epic graphic novels featuring the cataclysmic events of FINAL CRISIS and the introduction of Batman's son, Damian Wayne! These blockbuster stories featured a deconstruction of super hero comics like never before, with challenging, thought-provoking takes on the modern, four-color icons.

This doesn't mean the mini series is included. Some issues in the Batman run featured events in FC. It's kind of like when DC announced that The Button would be included in the upcoming Batman deluxe but it didn't mean the actual mini but rather one issue. Or whatever.

I'd personally be surprised if they included FC when they can milk it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy82 View Post

I did notice that and was a little reassured, but we'll see about that. If DC can get Vol 1 and Vol 2 correct, which will be difficult for them IMHO, then Vol 3 (Inc) will be easy. Only thing I'd do differently with Vol 3 is keep Batman The Return outta Vol 2 (as the last issue) and put The Return where is better belongs...as Part 0 of Batman Incorporated (Yes, I know there is also Batman Inc #0).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-06-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

I did notice that and was a little reassured, but we'll see about that. If DC can get Vol 1 and Vol 2 correct, which will be difficult for them IMHO, then Vol 3 (Inc) will be easy. Only thing I'd do differently with Vol 3 is keep Batman The Return outta Vol 2 (as the last issue) and put The Return where is better belongs...as Part 0 of Batman Incorporated (Yes, I know there is also Batman Inc #0).
    V1 has a lot of ways it can go. Batman and Son/Black Glove/RIP + 52 issue 29 + a few random pages from other 52 issues come in around 650 pages (ballpark). That's sort of the baseline 'must include.' After that, they could do a lot of things but they're all a bit problematic.

Final Crisis
    1. Just include all seven issues of Final Crisis but none of the tie-ins that aren't about Batman. It'd have quite a bit of non-Batman story still, but would be a complete story (~220 extra pages)
    2. Batman appears in about 20-30 pages of Final Crisis, but his scenes, in order to make sense, require quite a few more pages. Can you construct an abbreviated version of FC that makes sense? (maybe 50-60 extra pages?)
    3. Instead, they could include only RIP: The Missing Chapters. This is a straightforward telling of the Batman part of the story, but has a less clear way than FC of inserting the two Last Rites issues. (44 extra pages)

Resurrection
    1. Include all issues of the crossover - it's handy since Ra's does appear later (V3), but is largely untethered from Morrison's run. (256 extra pages)
    2. Just include the two Morrison issues and a couple recap pages - it meets the definition of being a complete Morrison omnibus while being a bit of an incomplete story (44 extra pages)
    3. Ignore it (0 extra pages)

Doing both 1s would make the omnibus unbearably long and pretty unfocused (one would expect and hope for some decent notes/art included besides the actual story pages). Both 3s seems a bit slim and unsatisfying, storywise. I'm probably in favor of them doing RIP: Missing Chapters (3) and all of Resurrection (1).

Things like Gothic and Arkham would be okay inclusions, I guess, if they didn't crowd out other stories, but I don't think they're particularly necessary for understanding or enjoying the run as started in 52.

I absolutely agree about The Return being in V3.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^

JLA 240.jpg

This Omni wraps up the original run of JLA so we have an endpoint and a few Silver Age Omnis at the start. Now to fill in the gaps!!
    With regards to the lack of #240, below is the answer a poster gave on the MMW Forum:

It was an inventory issue by Busiek/Sekowsky*of the original JLofA.
    I don't think the Detroit team*appeared even in a framing sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    V1 has a lot of ways it can go. Batman and Son/Black Glove/RIP + 52 issue 29 + a few random pages from other 52 issues come in around 650 pages (ballpark). That's sort of the baseline 'must include.' After that, they could do a lot of things but they're all a bit problematic.

Final Crisis
    1. Just include all seven issues of Final Crisis but none of the tie-ins that aren't about Batman. It'd have quite a bit of non-Batman story still, but would be a complete story (~220 extra pages)
    2. Batman appears in about 20-30 pages of Final Crisis, but his scenes, in order to make sense, require quite a few more pages. Can you construct an abbreviated version of FC that makes sense? (maybe 50-60 extra pages?)
    3. Instead, they could include only RIP: The Missing Chapters. This is a straightforward telling of the Batman part of the story, but has a less clear way than FC of inserting the two Last Rites issues. (44 extra pages)

Resurrection
    1. Include all issues of the crossover - it's handy since Ra's does appear later (V3), but is largely untethered from Morrison's run. (256 extra pages)
    2. Just include the two Morrison issues and a couple recap pages - it meets the definition of being a complete Morrison omnibus while being a bit of an incomplete story (44 extra pages)
    3. Ignore it (0 extra pages)

Doing both 1s would make the omnibus unbearably long and pretty unfocused (one would expect and hope for some decent notes/art included besides the actual story pages). Both 3s seems a bit slim and unsatisfying, storywise. I'm probably in favor of them doing RIP: Missing Chapters (3) and all of Resurrection (1).

Things like Gothic and Arkham would be okay inclusions, I guess, if they didn't crowd out other stories, but I don't think they're particularly necessary for understanding or enjoying the run as started in 52.

I absolutely agree about The Return being in V3.
    VOL 1 points to address:
    1. To kick off Vol 1, I'd include: Small portions of 52 #30 and #47...this is where we see glimpses of Batman undergoing the thogal ritual in Narda Parbat. Bruce's demons are cut out and for the first time starts to sense Hurt's behind-the-scenes machinations.

2. Maybe summary pages on The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul BEFORE the The Black Glove arc begins. Morrison did pen two issues of the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul and so I hope DC finds a "middle ground" way to, at least, include them without perhaps putting the whole entire event in Omnibus Vol 1. Maybe summaries before/in between/after Morrison's two issues.

3. I would humbly argue that all of Final Crisis (New Edition) TPB contents belong in Vol 1 after RIP considering Morrison explicitly stated in his personal reading order that Batman #682-683 operated as tie-ins just like Superman Beyond #1-2. In Morrison's given order, Batman #682-683 happen after Final Crisis #4-5 and DC then did that in the Final Crisis (New Edition) TPB.
    -Why Final Crisis is really part of Morrison's Batman run?: It first revealed Darkseid to be the main villain of Morrison's Batman run (it's not Dr Hurt or Talia). And it reveals a lot about Darkseid's Lovecraftian nature in Morrison's vision of Darkseid. It sets up Return of Bruce Wayne of course.
    -Consolation Prize: I doubt I will succeed in persuading DC to include all of the Final Crisis (New Edition) TPB contents in these Morrison Batman Omnibus volumes, but the next best thing is summary pages for Final Crisis and including the actual pages by JG Jones where Batman confronts Darkseid (and maybe other pages). PLEASE do not try to move Batman 701-702 to right after Batman RIP, they really don't fit there well (like some think), they spoil future events, etc.

VOL 2 points to address (one only big thing to address):

1. TRICKIEST PART: Doing the issue ordering of Batman & Robin #1-16, Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6, and Batman #700-702...but Chris Burnham himself proffered an order (on the old CBR comic forum) and argued why:
    BR 1-9
    B700
    BR 10
    ROBW 1
    BR11
    ROBW2
    BR12
    ROBW3
    B701
    B702
    BR13
    ROBW4
    BR14
    ROBW5
    BR15
    ROBW6
    BR16

VOL 3 (I presume three volumes, could be wrong) point to address:

1. I'd put Batman The Return with Batman Incorporated (as opposed the existing decision to include it with B&R). It introduces Batman's Inc program and introduces Leviathan and other all sorts of characters that play a role in Incorporated's specific events (Traktir, etc).

2. I love this idea, but it's really very optional: IMHO, Morrison adopted (into his own run) Nightrunner's short introduction arc (by Hine & Higgins) in Detective Comics Annual #12 & Batman Annual #28, which would take place after Batman Incorporated (1st Series) #2 and before #3. Nightrunner was used a good bit in Incorporated, you could tell Grant liked the fresh diverse character.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Final Crisis
    These are like the only two options for me. One issue with "all seven issues of Final Crisis but none of the tie-ins that aren't about Batman" is Superman Beyond...which is pretty important to understanding some issues of Final Crisis IIRC. But I also understand Batman readers might head scratch about their inclusion.

Feels like DC's only palatable routes for me are just including the whole Final Crisis TPB (New Edition) (my ideal all things considered) or doing a decently long abbreviated version of FC.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-06-2017 at 03:02 PM.

I'd be okay with a 1 page synopsis, like Marvel did with the Bru Cap omnibus books, giving what happens in those particular events. It's not like splicing those relevant pages in will make a smooth read. Especially given how FC has an absolute, and 52 had an omnibus.

Resurrection should just be included in its entirety though.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^

JLA 240.jpg

According to drumore on the collected editions forum:

It was an inventory issue by Busiek/Sekowsky of the original JLofA.
    I don't think the Detroit team appeared even in a framing sequence.

I hope they remember to include 240 in the final Bronze JLA Omni (before the Detroit one) but as its DC who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by ER Prest View Post
    I'd be okay with a 1 page synopsis
    Nah, for 52 and FC...I myself need at least a little more than that. Firstly, the 52 portions are written or co-written by Morrison and I've custom bound the run and it'd be really easy to pull the short Bruce excerpts from those parts and they are significant to the Batman run and were clearly aimed at being Prelude. For FC, I'd need a (some pages) pages/panels/text synopsis...the actual Batman/Darkseid pages are pretty must-includes for me, I could accept selected panels or something for the rest maybe, with text summaries. We tend to agree on Resurrection, but maybe DC could pull off a text/panels summary of some sort before/between/after Morrison's two issues.

Mighty Member

VOL 1 points to address:

2. Maybe summary pages on The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul BEFORE the The Black Glove arc begins. Morrison did pen two issues of the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul and so I hope DC finds a "middle ground" way to, at least, include them without perhaps putting the whole entire event in Omnibus Vol 1. Maybe summaries before/in between/after Morrison's two issues.

3. I would humbly argue that all of Final Crisis (New Edition) TPB contents belong in Vol 1 after RIP considering Morrison explicitly stated in his personal reading order that Batman #682-683 operated as tie-ins just like Superman Beyond #1-2. In Morrison's given order, Batman #682-683 happen after Final Crisis #4-5 and DC then did that in the Final Crisis (New Edition) TPB.
    -Why Final Crisis is really part of Morrison's Batman run?: It first revealed Darkseid to be the main villain of Morrison's Batman run (it's not Dr Hurt or Talia). And it reveals a lot about Darkseid's Lovecraftian nature in Morrison's vision of Darkseid. It sets up Return of Bruce Wayne of course.
    -Consolation Prize: I doubt I will succeed in persuading DC to include all of the Final Crisis (New Edition) TPB contents in these Morrison Batman Omnibus volumes, but the next best thing is summary pages for Final Crisis and including the actual pages by JG Jones where Batman confronts Darkseid (and maybe other pages). PLEASE do not try to move Batman 701-702 to right after Batman RIP, they really don't fit there well (like some think), they spoil future events, etc.

VOL 2 points to address (one only big thing to address):

1. TRICKIEST PART: Doing the issue ordering of Batman & Robin #1-16, Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6, and Batman #700-702...but Chris Burnham himself proffered an order (on the old CBR comic forum) and argued why:
    Largely agree, but just a couple comments:
    I wasn't necessarily advocating for not including all of FC (New Edition), but I think a Batman by Morrison trade is not likely to include Superman Beyond. Just seems off. Likewise w/putting The Missing Chapters in V1 - it's an option, but not necessarily a great one (I'd prefer FC and all of Resurrection, but that seems unwieldy to me).

I am not in an authoritative position to argue with Chris Burnham, but I think I disagree with one piece of his V2 ordering - in an omnibus format, I'd rather see Batman 701-702 precede RoBW1. I know it ruins some of the mystery of RoBW 2, but it'd be nice to have the omnibus follow the chronology of Bruce, as he experiences it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    According to drumore on the collected editions forum:

It was an inventory issue by Busiek/Sekowsky of the original JLofA.
    I don't think the Detroit team appeared even in a framing sequence.

I hope they remember to include 240 in the final Bronze JLA Omni (before the Detroit one) but as its DC who knows!
    I get the omission, but the completionist in me wanted it contained despite this. Now, I'm wondering if it will be collected at all, or if it will be thrown in the last JLA Bronze omnibus that will lead up to the Detroit as you said

Nah, for 52 and FC...I myself need at least a little more than that. Firstly, the 52 portions are written or co-written by Morrison and I've custom bound the run and it'd be really easy to pull the short Bruce excerpts from those parts and they are significant to the Batman run and were clearly aimed at being Prelude. For FC, I'd need a (some pages) pages/panels/text synopsis...the actual Batman/Darkseid pages are pretty must-includes for me, I could accept selected panels or something for the rest maybe, with text summaries. We tend to agree on Resurrection, but maybe DC could pull off a text/panels summary of some sort before/between/after Morrison's two issues.
    This is a good point. I guess we'll have to see. Hopefully we find out sooner rather than later