Page 60 of 102 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    Batman and Signal is a BATMAN book that literally stars Batman and gives him top billing.
    It remains to be seen as to just how much page-time and focus Batman will be getting in practice. He obviously has a role in the book beyond his title helping to carry the book initially, as early synopsis have alluded to, but I am curious how things will play out in the context of the 3 issues once it's released.

From what it appears to be, Batman seems like he'll less "star" and more be a supporting character in Signal's mini (once again, with Bats' name providing a wise marketing boost in addition).

(Oh, and back-and-forths like that are kinda tacky, so lets not turn it worse, please. )

BANNED

Story wise yes its likely that Batman may not play a role but this after all only a 3 issue mini that gives top billing to both Batman and Snyder. Its clear that DC wants Batman fans to check it out.

Another picture of The Signal from Seeley's twitter.

BANNED

Why that racist, Blue lives matter lol.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Another picture of The Signal from Seeley's twitter.

I just noticed/realized that the guy Signal is fighting has on prison scrubs. Which makes sense, since he's one of the escaped Juvie Arkham kids.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

When Scott Snyder says sales are coming in much higher then he expected, how high do you think he is talking? Like in the 20-40k area or like metal/doomsday clock high?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Gotham By Midnight- Not a Batman book. He wasn't on the cover. Also, not relevant because of what I just mentioned, but the lowest it got in sales was 17,000+, which isn't cancellation level in this day and age.
    Damian: Son of Batman- I have no idea what you're talking about here. It started at over 60,000 and finished at about 45,000.
    They are under the Batman banner. So in that sense they are Batman related books.

However when we talk about books where Batman is not the central lead-sales tend to be lower. Like the examples he mentioned and Gotham Academy & Batwing. Batwing with sales so long Batman fansites stopped covering it.

The advantage to being under Batman banner is you are ensured of a slot in the comic book store no matter who you are. Unlike various Marvel books especially the ones who share the same skin tone as Duke.

Since this is a 3 part series I would expect Snyder meant numbers in the 30s to 50s. And I would expect numbers to be higher since so many store owners screamed DC does diversity right. Well unlike Cyborg & Beetle who never saw an increase as issues came out, Duke's book along with the Dark Matter books are "put your money where your mouth is" books.

Beating Moon Girl is not impressive. Beating Miles, Falcon & Panther-okay. Being the top POC lead seller for all three issues-now we are talking.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They are under the Batman banner. So in that sense they are Batman related books.

However when we talk about books where Batman is not the central lead-sales tend to be lower. Like the examples he mentioned and Gotham Academy & Batwing. Batwing with sales so long Batman fansites stopped covering it.

The advantage to being under Batman banner is you are ensured of a slot in the comic book store no matter who you are. Unlike various Marvel books especially the ones who share the same skin tone as Duke.

Since this is a 3 part series I would expect Snyder meant numbers in the 30s to 50s. And I would expect numbers to be higher since so many store owners screamed DC does diversity right. Well unlike Cyborg & Beetle who never saw an increase as issues came out, Duke's book along with the Dark Matter books are "put your money where your mouth is" books.

Beating Moon Girl is not impressive. Beating Miles, Falcon & Panther-okay. Being the top POC lead seller for all three issues-now we are talking.
    Yeah, that's all true. Hopefully if the series is decent, it can manage to hold up sales for the 3 issues it has to spin off into a ongoing.

So, Duke is in White Knight #3. And he's a serious badass. Ex-military, cleaning up a given up area of Gotham. He doesn't really trust Napier, but he doesn't like Batman either. It looks like he'll have a bigger role than I assumed in this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, that's all true. Hopefully if the series is decent, it can manage to hold up sales for the 3 issues it has to spin off into a ongoing.
    I'm not really sure if 3 issues is really enough to get meaning full sales numbers.

Extraordinary Member

So, Duke is in White Knight #3. And he's a serious badass. Ex-military, cleaning up a given up area of Gotham. He doesn't really trust Napier, but he doesn't like Batman either. It looks like he'll have a bigger role than I assumed in this.
    Ex-Military sounds more like Luke (or the second Azrael) than Duke.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Ex-Military sounds more like Luke (or the second Azrael) than Duke.
    I actually really liked this version of Duke. Which is nice!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Interesting! Looking forward to reading that too, now.

(I'm so behind on my everything. )

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm not really sure if 3 issues is really enough to get meaning full sales numbers.
    For testing the waters, I'd say it is. Which is what they're doing here. It's why it's 3 issues instead of the more typical 6.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    For testing the waters, I'd say it is. Which is what they're doing here. It's why it's 3 issues instead of the more typical 6.
    I still wish it was a six issue mini. Three issues may be enough to test the waters for a possible future ongoing but I'm not sure if it's really enough issues to tell a story that has any depth to it or that it will be enough to fully develop this direction for Duke or any of his supporting cast. I was damned impressed with the Role Call story that Tony Patrick wrote but I can't help but be a little concerned here still. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be another case where a writer had an idea that would take six issues to develop properly and then they were told to cut it down to three issues instead.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 12-06-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I still wish it was a six issue mini. Three issues may be enough to test the waters for a possible future ongoing but I'm not sure if it's really enough issues to tell a story that has any depth to it or that it will be enough to fully develop this direction for Duke or any of his supporting cast. I was damned impressed with the Role Call story that Tony Patrick wrote but I can't help but be a little concerned here still. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be another case where a writer had an idea that would take six issues to develop properly and then they were told to cut it down to three issues instead.
    As do I.

That Duke's solo went from an implied (if not outright stated) on-going to a 6-issue mini to a 3-issue one is rather disheartening. All the while, his other appearances are few, far in-between, and largely stark.

I really do have a lot of faith in the writer, though. His passion for Duke felt genuine whenever he got a chance to speak on it. Though the cutting down of issues is worrisome, I think he'll manage.

I do wish we had the page count to re-introduce his old Crew, but hopefully it'll spin-off into a book that can and will.