Page 744 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 2446446947347407417427437447457467477487547948441244 ... LastLast
Results 11,146 to 11,160 of 20773
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I rather enjoyed the Momoa led Conan film. It was about 15min too long but enjoyable.
    I know I'm in a minority camp on that opinion.

I've floated in/out of reading Conan tales at DH and found some late 80s/early 90s Conan from Marvel in .50 cent bins way back in the day.
    I've never read the classic 70s tales so if getting the rights back means new collections, especially as an Omni, I'm all on board.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Didn't DH reprint those old MArvel series?
    Dark Horse has reprinted the main Conan series in full as well as many of the supporting series. Full guide here.

Very excited for all this stuff to hit Marvel Unlimited, as it did for Dark Horse Star Wars material.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    That promo picture looks like they are going to pull him in the MU.

I can only guess that Disney has some movie / TV series planned or they would never have bothered with the comic license.
    Yes, it kind of does look like they want to pull him into the MU or it's just a promotional piece.

I also think that Disney/Marvel are geared towards putting together a TV series rather than a movie, in particular since the last movie was a flop (what a terrible movie it was) and also one of the main reasons for acquiring Fox was to expand their TV possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    the 70s really was the time for word and sorcery but they might see a potential in it now because of Game of thrones. Not sure about where the movie rights are right now but if this means there is a good Conan movie coming (oh dear the last one was really bad, poor Momoa) and some new comics with top talent then yeah, great, I'm all in. I guess just this all around celebration rubbed me the wrong way, not just here but articles everywhere call it a homecoming like when Spidey went back to them after years of mishandling by Sony.

Also, I was thinking about this yesterday, but I just can't see a logical reason for Conan to be connected to the MU in any way. Sometimes I can see direct link between pulp and superheroes (Shadow/Batman) but while Conan is an archetype I don't think he directly influenced much in the MU.
    I might be wrong again
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Conan as far as i know have not influenced much the MU,the stories were not linked to the main MU stories.
    The exceptions were the What If stories.So i guess the new Conan stories by Marvel will be the same as the stories from the 70s.
    Conan being connected in the MU would make for a sword and sorcery comic book in the MU something that would improve the diversity of stories but then again there are other Marvel Super Heroes as Black Knight that can feature in a comic book like that.
    I see Marvel buying back the Conan license as cool,because there are many older Marvel comics of Conan that i always wanted to read and this way i can start collecting them in new Tpb´s or Omnibuses.
    New stories of Conan by a top creative team would be great as well.But i think it wold be better if the new stories would be as the stories from the 70s without being connected to the MU.
    I really don't see Conan in the MU working that well and think it would be kind of awkward. I do think that Marvel will take pretty good care of him and he is a much more popular character than Angela and has serious history with Marvel. I believe they may also start with putting out an Omnibus or two and/or the Epic Collection.

Default Marvel Collected Editions Sales - December 2017

The complete estimated comic book sales figures for December 2017 are in (please note this list only details those comics sold to North American Comics Shops as reported by Diamond). I’ve listed below the Marvel OHC/Omnibus/MMW’s as well as the larger TPB collections such as the Epic, Ultimate and Complete lines that made the list, detailing the position, title and estimated sales. I haven’t included any reentries.

46. Amazing Spider-Man: The Clone Conspiracy TPB - 1,508
    59. X-Men Classic Omnibus - 1,274
    67 Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four HC Vol. 19 - 1,153
    73. Deadpool Classic Vol. 20: Ultimate Deadpool TPB - 1,078
    80. The Punsher Epic Collection Vol. 7: Capital Punishment - 1,024
    88. Black Panther: Panther’s Quest - 997
    91. Star Wars Legends Epic Collection Vol. 3: The New Republic - 987
    99. Doctor Strange OHC Vol. 1 - 941
    100. Thor By Jason Aaron & Russell Dauterman OHC Vol. 2 - 931
    104. Captain America By Mark Waid & Ron Garney Omnibus - 896
    112. Black Panther The Man Without Fear: The Complete Collection - 855
    144. Wolverine By Daniel Way: The Complete Collection Vol. 3 - 658
    146. Dark Avengers By Brian Michael Bendis: The Complete Collection - 655
    178. Doctor Strange: Lords of Fear TPB - 543
    184. Guardians of the Galaxy OHC Vol. 4 - 538
    198. Spider-Man Brand New Day: The Complete Collection Vol. 4 - 493
    210. Planet of The Apes Archive HC Vol. 2 Beast On The Planet of Apes (BOOM) - 471
    211. Marvel Mangaverse Complete Collection - 468
    340. Marvel Cinematic Universe Guidebook: The Good, The Bad, The Guardians OHC - 313

For the sake of comparison, below are DC’s Omnibus sales in December 2017:

Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus - 1,854; Batgirl The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 1 - 817; Green Arrow The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 – 593; Justice League of America The Detroit Era Omnibus - 583

For the last year & a half or so I kind of got on a Conan kick. I'd never read any of that material as a kid, and was curious to give it a try. For all intents and purposes, Marvel really made Conan the successful IP he is today. Sure the genesis is there in the REH novellas, but the Marvel guys really fleshed the character out and made him into a pop culture icon starting in the early 1970s. Before Marvel, he was basically a throwaway pulp character. I'd go so far as to postulate that if it weren't for Marvel, Roy Thomas in particular, probably no one in the mainstream would even know who Conan is today.

So long story, slightly shorter, I decided to give the character a try with some of the DH reprints of the classic 1970s Marvel stories. Over time I picked up second hand copies of the two BWS HCs, and most of the Chronicles of Conan TPBs put out by DH over the years. I also picked up some of the REH novels pre-owned off amazon for cheap.

I liked most of the comic book material I read so far, but was a bit let down by the presentation in DH's reprints. I'm a long time Marvel Zombie and am familiar with their top notch reproduction of classic stories featured in the Epic, MMW, and Omnibus series of books, so I had high expectations. I couldn't get my head around DH not including covers in their reprints! (At least in the first few collections). Also some of the more modern recoloring was kind of garish in spots. In summary, while it was nice to read these old comics, the presentation just wasn't that great.

Story-wise from the comics, I mostly liked what I read but Roy Thomas' scripting can be a grind to read over and over, so I would read one volume, move on to something else, then come back to Conan for another volume a few weeks later, etc. I didn't like the REH novellas. I felt they were too "over written" for lack of a better term. And it didn't help the stories were non-linear. In one novella, Conan is a barbarian, in another he's a king, in another he's a pirate. I found them kind of hard to get into on a consistent basis.

My favorites, out of what I've read, were the Frost Giant's Daughter, the Tower of the Elephant, and some of the later stories Thomas did in his return to the character in the 1990s near the end of Conan's original comic series (the adventures of Conan as a teen, etc). I also liked the Marvel King Conan series featuring Conan as an aged ruler, with his son at his side, but I haven't finished those just yet.

Really looking forward to Marvel's forthcoming reprints. Marvel did an amazing job getting the MOKFU series back into print after decades of languishing in comic book limbo and I am sure they will do just as well or better with Conan! Now my only conundrum is: do I sell the DH collections & wait for Marvel's, or hold on to them? Ah the life of a comic collector....

Lastly, Conan is considered part of the mainstream MU ... just in the Hyborean age prior to recorded history. I didn't remember it until I read the CBR article, but he did have some minor sporadic appearances (non-What If) in the mainstream MU modern times. Even an FF issue near the end of the DeFalco/Ryan run. Check it out:

https://www.cbr.com/conan-marvel-com...st-crossovers/

Anyone else experiencing delays with IST in shippings?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I placed an order a week and a half ago and mine came in no time. Depending on your location maybe delays are due to the winter storms?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    When you say delays, how long have you been waiting? If I recall, you're from Brazil, so I would expect you to have a "longish" wait. I live in Poland and have waited up to around 45 days at one time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    When you say delays, how long have you been waiting? If I recall, you're from Brazil, so I would expect you to have a "longish" wait. I live in Poland and have waited up to around 45 days at one time or another.
    Yep. I've been purchasing for them for almost a year now and it usually takes a few weeks to get here. But I've placed an order before Christmas and tracking shows it hasn't even been updated once, which means it's still in the US, hasn't even reached the first USPS facility (Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item). I've also place another order on January, 8 and they still haven't completed scanning the books for shipment. I guess a few of them might be out of stock, but still. They say on the website that it usually takes 3 business days for that.

grahamgg is probably on to something. Maybe it's duo to the winter storms and shipping has been put on hold (re the first order, they probably just taking their time with the second one)?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The complete estimated comic book sales figures for December 2017 are in....

59. X-Men Classic Omnibus - 1,274
    104. Captain America By Mark Waid & Ron Garney Omnibus - 896

For the sake of comparison, below are DC’s Omnibus sales in December 2017:

Jack Kirby’s Fourth World Omnibus - 1,854;
    Batgirl The Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 1 - 817;
    Green Arrow The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 – 593;
    Justice League of America The Detroit Era Omnibus - 583
    X-Men Classic still sold 1200 copies, I'd say that's about what many expected.
    Captain America by Waid however, I had hoped would do 1K at least

DC
    Considering the 4th World printing errors there are many of us upset for jumping so quickly. DC better have improved it's quality control already. Strong number.
    Pleased at the Batgirl number and the Green Arrow came just shy of what I wanted which was 600.
    With all the CW characters on display in the Detroit Era Omni I'm a but surprised more didn't jump on this one.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Captain America by Waid however, I had hoped would do 1K at least
    Isn't this material already coming out as Epic?

Amazing Member

Is the Planet Hulk Omnibus in danger of going out of print already?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Isn't this material already coming out as Epic?
    Waid/Garney closed out the original Vol 1 Cap series in 1995-96 with issues #444-454. Then Liefeld, Jim Lee and the Image guys handled the Heroes Reborn Cap vol 2 series. For the Heroes Return relaunch in 1997-98 Waid/Garney were back with Captain America vol 3. Basically Marvel was like, "yeah we should never have kicked you off the book for Liefeld. Here, give it another shot. Sorry!". Garney penciled the first five issues of the vol. 3 relaunch. Then Andy Kubert came on board and penciled the series for the remainder of Waid's run (plus a few issues with Dan Jurgens post-Waid, IIRC). In summer 1998 Marvel also released a second monthly Cap series, Sentinel of Liberty, which ran for 12 issues. Waid wrote most of series and Garney did pencils for the first six issues.

The recent Captain America: Man Without a Country Epic Collection collects the final stories from Cap vol. 1. So yes some of their material is included in the recent Epic TPB but definitely not all.

Quote Originally Posted by copywrite View Post
    Is the Planet Hulk Omnibus in danger of going out of print already?
    Possibly ... I posted about this a few weeks ago. IST is out of stock, and CGN raised their price to $80. I've also noticed prices slowly creeping up on eBay.

On a related topic, discounts at all the usual places on the recent Simonson Thor Omnibus reprint have dwindled, it's now a $70+ book at least; when just a few weeks ago it could be bought for ~50% off. Similar situation seen on the Cap Omnibus by Waid/Garney/Kubert. No super discounts on that one online. The cheapest I can find it for is $75. Might want to keep a watch on those.

I wonder if we'll get another big Rocket and Groot paperback like this one. I really enjoyed the Skottie Young series. I've read it twice now up to where that trade ends. I could sit down right now and read it a third time.

I don't really want to grab the small trades if they're just going to bundle it all together again.

Was Nathan Edmonson Punisher (the series that ended with Secret Wars) any good?