Page 67 of 613 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167567 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 9194

I'm okay with a retelling of the origin (and key life events), as long as it doesn't undo what's been established since Rebirth.
    After the merging of nu52 Superman and classic-Superman in Rebirth, we really only got a very abbreviated view of his entire history in the following issue. A fully-fleshed out story, adding some new details and extra flavor around those events would be great.

That said, if the Bendis origin undoes the new Rebirth timeline and/or contradicts it, I'll be pretty frustrated. We don't need a yearly reboot of the origin.

And on a side note, I too loved seeing Supergirl in action next to Superman on the McGuire cover. More please!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah, its weird to look at the classic suit and think "Superman doesnt look right."

Shame. We spent years trying to get a worthy re-design out of DC, and just a year or so after finding one, DC drops it in favor of nostalgia.
    Since Jurgens brought him back with his regular suit, it could be said that everything else was a placeholder. Which would mean that they're not bringing back the original costume for nostalgia, but because at this point it's built up this great return that has tons of people looking and talking.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well... Thanks for the buzz kill, Mr. Buzz Killington

Also see JMS prior to Grounded.

To be fair to Lobdell he had great ideas and would have been a hell of an editor. The execution however was poor to mediocre most of the time.
    In considering Bendis as the new writer, I went back and read interviews on other properties. With X-Men, Moon Knight, and a few others that turned out poorly, he didn't really have any interesting positions in the interviews that would have appeared to have gone astray in execution. This sounds better from where he sits. Not that this has to be great, but it doesn't sound like just talk.

I think of Lobdell whenever I see comments like, "oh these writers don't know the character, they should do ___ and ____." If it was like that we wouldn't have these issues because countless people would come out of the woodwork and rake it up like they're Geoff Johns. Poor Lobdell had an infinite number of cool things to put into the comic but ultimately was missing something bigger and deeper. His interviews were energetic and spunky, like what he wrote, but didn't say much compelling.

JMS... the crazy thing is that he comics rep was built on Spider-Man, where he not only wrote some of the best stories of that time, but some of the worst stores of all time. Other than that he did extremely well on Thor but left abruptly, long delayed the Twelve, and I think he even dashed on WW before starting Superman.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Seems Bendis has given us just a bit more insight into what the central idea of his run is going to be. So far it seems like the the change in focus or status quo might in fact be more of a change in personal mind set that has outside ripples, rather than a reboot, death, or something more conventional. Here's a new quote.

“It seems now more than ever that we need Superman,” he said. “It just feels like it’s time for Superman. And writing a character who exudes hope to everyone around him, and the burden that that is—it’s a burden to carry for everyone. We’ve seen it for other public figures who represent something so much larger than himself. We’re going to experience what that feels like, and we’re going to experience what that feels like for him personally.”

https://io9.gizmodo.com/at-sxsw-bria...ce=io9_twitter

One of the most interesting aspects of the quote is how Bendis equates Superman to public figures who represent something larger than themselves. Given the state of the U.S. right now, I doubt it took anyone's mind long to think of equating Superman to the office of the President, and given Bendis' words on truth, justice, and the American way, and what that means in a modern context and filtered through Superman, it might be a fair assumption to think that Bendis will play with the parallels of Superman's sort of quietly acknowledged role as the leader and figure head of Earth's heroes, and the position of the Presidency or just government leadership as a whole.

If we look at it through that sort of parallel, then it adds a new and interesting context to Action Comic's set up of being outlet for the 4th estate in the DCU, and the outlet for Clark's personal feelings (another large aspect of this quote). So, to hazard a guess, the same level of speculation, critique, gossip, rhetoric, and debate that might be seen revolving around a position like the Presidency may be applied to Clark's position as Superman. Funny enough, this might just scratch Bendis' sociopolitical itch in a way that may be palatable for those who aren't usually into it because, from what I can tell, it's not expressly aimed at any one real figure. That's fascinating.

It's also worth mentioning that, if this is in fact the idea, this take is extremely complementary to both Johns' Doomsday Clock Superman, and also to Priest's "there's only like five League members that really count" take in Justice League. That's kind of fantastic. Also as a bonus, it's kind of cool to think of Lois and Jon as a the sort of First Family of the DCU.

Just some food for thought.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Since Jurgens brought him back with his regular suit, it could be said that everything else was a placeholder. Which would mean that they're not bringing back the original costume for nostalgia, but because at this point it's built up this great return that has tons of people looking and talking.
    Even if they've played it out over time, nostalgia is the only reason to bring back the trunks. If not the nostalgia of the audience, then the nostalgia of management. In either case, it's questionable business.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I could have phrased that better. It's nostalgic, but not nostalgia for its own sake in that it's not bias over business. If it's questionable, we have to question many billion dollar companies because as business related blogs and sites indicate, retro marketing is testing very well these days. Look at the SNES Classic for example and the hashtag on the promotional trunks apparel... straight outta

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenf.../#246059993636

Maybe the higher ups and creators like it too, but is that bad? If Ivan Reis is willing to draw it I think we all should sit back and let him, haha. We're getting some Coke Classic right here.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Even if they've played it out over time, nostalgia is the only reason to bring back the trunks. If not the nostalgia of the audience, then the nostalgia of management. In either case, it's questionable business.
    Brian Bendis' nostalgia.

Bring back the trunks will probably end up being the most divisive thing since the new52 reboot.

https://www.facebook.com/dcfansunite...91127544507587
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-12-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Amazing Member

Not exactly a scientific poll.

I could have phrased that better. It's nostalgic, but not nostalgia for its own sake in that it's not bias over business. If it's questionable, we have to question many billion dollar companies because as business related blogs and sites indicate, retro marketing is testing very well these days. Look at the SNES Classic for example and the hashtag on the promotional trunks apparel... straight outta
    I question a lot of DC/WB decisions, actually. I assume these people know their business a lot better than I do......but they often do stuff that defies all my years of business education and experience, so they're either so far beyond me that they merely look like dumb choices because of my own ignorance, or these multi-billion dollar companies are no more immune to poor hiring practices than any other industry. Looking at how WB keeps going through positions and offices....I'm not sure it's just my ignorance.

The difference, it seems to me, is that nostalgia marketing works when you have an audience with fond memories to manipulate. To that end the return of the trunks will be somewhat successful, and this forum shows that there is definitely a demographic out there who missed them (though the quality/modern storytelling methodology that drove them away will likely do so again). But if the goal is to expand Superman readership with new fans (which I believe should be the goal, though DC may disagree), I question whether nostalgia marketing is the right way to go.

Who told you of my deep love for Forbes.com? Adore that site! Have you been peeking at my bookmarks?

Maybe the higher ups and creators like it too, but is that bad? If Ivan Reis is willing to draw it I think we all should sit back and let him, haha. We're getting some Coke Classic right here.
    Well, Reis does make it look good. But the man drew Superman without the trunks during the 52, so I think he'd be fine either way. A paycheck is a paycheck after all.
    Last edited by Ascended; 03-12-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Well, if an internet poll with a whopping 752 votes says it's true, that completely changes things

In fairness, if that poll checks out that's a pretty great sample size. If 80% of 750 people think it's awful, that kinda makes me consider it more.

I question a lot of DC/WB decisions, actually. I assume these people know their business a lot better than I do......but they often do stuff that defies all my years of business education and experience, so they're either so far beyond me that they merely look like dumb choices because of my own ignorance, or these multi-billion dollar companies are no more immune to poor hiring practices than any other industry. Looking at how WB keeps going through positions and offices....I'm not sure it's just my ignorance.

The difference, it seems to me, is that nostalgia marketing works when you have an audience with fond memories to manipulate. To that end the return of the trunks will be somewhat successful, and this forum shows that there is definitely a demographic out there who missed them (though the quality/modern storytelling methodology that drove them away will likely do so again). But if the goal is to expand Superman readership with new fans (which I believe should be the goal, though DC may disagree), I question whether nostalgia marketing is the right way to go.
    I have to wonder how much independent work has affected the multitude of big name creators over the last few decades who have gone into leadership positions. MacFarlane, Lee, and Liefeld have made tremendous moves so that they pretty much never have to draw again, while Bendis is just about the best at turning heads. Thankfully he sometimes can get buzz after drawing the attention with innovative stories. But yeah, even in those cases, you can describe each of them as "some guy" which qualifies them for potentially pulling trigger on terrible ideas.

But if all those others who aren't necessarily creators have business credibility, and gauge things like the SNES and NES Classic right they could be tapping into something that's at once basic, heavy handed, and one step ahead.

Who told you of my deep love for Forbes.com? Adore that site! Have you been peeking at my bookmarks?
    I've always been a little ignorant of Forbes but they've checked out on the few times I've stopped by. Kudos to them for breaking all this news in the first place.

Well, Reis does make it look good. But the man drew Superman without the trunks during the 52, so I think he'd be fine either way. A paycheck is a paycheck after all.
    Yeah. there isn't really an artist who will just draw one costume great and not the others. I'm pretty sure there's a JLGL New 52 drawing out there and I'm sure it's as technically perfect as everything else. But we have all these greats coming back or flocking to the character for this summer and I think it should feel pretty great to see them do the Superman right on top of everyone's head when they think of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Brian Bendis' nostalgia.

Bring back the trunks will probably end up being the most divisive thing since the new52 reboot.

https://www.facebook.com/dcfansunite...91127544507587
    A decent sample size for sure. We will see it over time. When something has been there for some time people often become attached to the status quo. Had such a poll been made in 2011, the situation might have been the opposite. With trunks at 82% and without that 18%.

Give this new look time and situation might change, assuming this actually captures the overall mood.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

In considering Bendis as the new writer, I went back and read interviews on other properties. With X-Men, Moon Knight, and a few others that turned out poorly, he didn't really have any interesting positions in the interviews that would have appeared to have gone astray in execution. This sounds better from where he sits. Not that this has to be great, but it doesn't sound like just talk.

I think of Lobdell whenever I see comments like, "oh these writers don't know the character, they should do ___ and ____." If it was like that we wouldn't have these issues because countless people would come out of the woodwork and rake it up like they're Geoff Johns. Poor Lobdell had an infinite number of cool things to put into the comic but ultimately was missing something bigger and deeper. His interviews were energetic and spunky, like what he wrote, but didn't say much compelling.

JMS... the crazy thing is that he comics rep was built on Spider-Man, where he not only wrote some of the best stories of that time, but some of the worst stores of all time. Other than that he did extremely well on Thor but left abruptly, long delayed the Twelve, and I think he even dashed on WW before starting Superman.
    JMS was doing GROUNDED in Superman and the ODYSSEY story in WW at the same time, and bailed on both early presumably to rush Superman Earth One vol 2 into production.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I wonder if that above poll would have a slightly different result If the Ivan Reis' drawing of Kal in the " new" suit was swapped out for Jim Lee's drawing here. Because if I had to base it completely on comparison between those two images they show here... I'm picking the Reborn one. Lee's drawing is probably one of the worst to lead with IMO.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

dude, i just handed in the script to Action Comics 1001. 1001!
    Bendis on twitter, as reported by CBR.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Bendis on twitter, as reported by CBR.
    So now let the fireworks or eruption begin.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he