Page 90 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Miller has always claimed to love Superman. I think he's going to do a bang up job - but then I like his recent Batman work, so YMMV.
    Garth Ennis is also a guy who hate capes with the exception of superman and he is the guy that every punisher writer wants to copy

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That just splits the Democrats even further. Seems like the best way for a Republican to get elected is to siphon off Democrats to a 3rd party candidate. George W. Bush winning because of Ralph Nader running against Al Gore.
    And what if the republican split along with the democrats?
    From there you could get a progressive party that see the dems as not doing a lot and a center right party that does not want to be associate with the far right wing of the republican party, this has happen before in some countries

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    And what if the republican split along with the democrats?
    From there you could get a progressive party that see the dems as not doing a lot and a center right party that does not want to be associate with the far right wing of the republican party, this has happen before in some countries
    I had hopes this might happen last election cycle. If that debacle didn't split the parties, I'm not sure that I'm eager to live through anything that would.

Invincible Member

Some fans need to realize that their jobs are not the same as some freelance comic book creator's.

"I can't believe that Greg Rucka walked off such and such book! If I told my boss I didn't want to do something I'd be in the unemployment line!" And that's why you aren't a freelancer.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Some fans need to realize that their jobs are not the same as some freelance comic book creator's.

"I can't believe that Greg Rucka walked off such and such book! If I told my boss I didn't want to do something I'd be in the unemployment line!" And that's why you aren't a freelancer.
    That comment feels very directed at a particular poster here. That said, I don't disagree with you.

Invincible Member

That comment feels very directed at a particular poster here. That said, I don't disagree with you.
    It wasn't directed at anyone in particular at least not here. But it's sentiment that keeps popping up. That and, "I can't believe they didn't fire so-and-so! If I said that to customer at Walmart I'd be canned!"

And it's like Twitter is not a customer service line for Marvel or any other comic book company and seriously, you went over there to harass the guy...don't pay the victim when he gets snippy or rude with you.

And I know it's not limited to stuff that's been going on in the last few years. Some fans have complained about Slott and Steve Wacker in the past. But...

BANNED

If you're talking about me, and I think you are, then you're welcome to think that comics writers can and should be allowed to tell the publishers and the editors, "I won't do this. No sir, I'm going to do that instead."

That would be fine on Bizarro World, or in a fanboy's dream world. But not on this planet. Nobody gets to do that here unless he's on top of the chain of command or owns the business. Not even your favorite writer gets to do it. And if he does, then the company is being mismanaged. You have to be able to tell a guy, "There's the door." If you can't do that, then you're not in charge. You're a puppet. The people you're "managing" are in charge of you.

Can they say what they want to on social media? Sure. But social media are littered with the corpses of people who ranted things on it and regretted doing it.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It wasn't directed at anyone in particular at least not here. But it's sentiment that keeps popping up. That and, "I can't believe they didn't fire so-and-so! If I said that to customer at Walmart I'd be canned!"

And it's like Twitter is not a customer service line for Marvel or any other comic book company and seriously, you went over there to harass the guy...don't pay the victim when he gets snippy or rude with you.

And I know it's not limited to stuff that's been going on in the last few years. Some fans have complained about Slott and Steve Wacker in the past. But...
    A lot of people have damaged or ruined their careers by venting on social media. I've never understood the appeal of Twitter anyway, or known who has the time to check in every day on dozens of public figures who he's following. It's just celebrity worship.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    If you're talking about me, and I think you are, then you're welcome to think that comics writers can and should be allowed to tell the publishers and the editors, "I won't do this. No sir, I'm going to do that instead."

That would be fine on Bizarro World, or in a fanboy's dream world. But not on this planet. Nobody gets to do that here unless he's on top of the chain of command or owns the business. Not even your favorite writer gets to do it. And if he does, then the company is being mismanaged. You have to be able to tell a guy, "There's the door." If you can't do that, then you're not in charge. You're a puppet. The people you're "managing" are in charge of you.

Can they say what they want to on social media? Sure. But social media are littered with the corpses of people who ranted things on it and regretted doing it.
    Do you have any notion of what the word "freelancer" means? These creators do not work for Marvel or DC. They are not employees and can't be fired for not doing something that isn't in their contract.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Is that what the other poster actually said? Is there a single post where he said those words? Or we in Mind-Reading Land again? I can't remember a single CBR member uttering words to that effect, either here or on the DC board.

You're jumping the gun, imagining opinions and intent from other posters that isn't there, and ultimately debating a point with yourself more than anyone else again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Do you have any notion of what the word "freelancer" means? These creators do not work for Marvel or DC. They are not employees and can't be fired for not doing something that isn't in their contract.
    Have you read their contracts? Do you know what's in them? Do they say that the writers will do as they please? Do they say that a writer can overrule what an editor or a publisher says? And no, they don't have to be fired in the same way that an employee is fired. They can just be told, "Don't send us any more scripts because we won't be sending you any more paychecks. And if you're smart, you won't use us for a job reference." Same difference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Is that what the other poster actually said? Is there a single post where he said those words? Or we in Mind-Reading Land again? I can't remember a single CBR member uttering words to that effect, either here or on the DC board.

You're jumping the gun, imagining opinions and intent from other posters that isn't there, and ultimately debating a point with yourself more than anyone else again.
    Carabas was talking about me. He hasn't denied it. But if he wasn't, then he can clear it up by saying who he was talking about. He was trying to carry over a discussion from the DC Comics forum. Which is fine. He can do that. But if he does, I might reply.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-11-2018 at 10:42 AM.

BANNED

Carabas was talking about me. He hasn't denied it. But if he wasn't, then he can clear it up by saying who he was talking about. He was trying to carry over a discussion from the DC Comics forum. Which is fine. He can do that. But if he does, I might reply.
    That would not be me. WillieMorgan is replying to a post you made before I said anything.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That would not be me. WillieMorgan is replying to a post you made before I said anything.
    My bad. It was dancj. I don't object to his saying it either. It was Willie who jumped in with an objection.

Is there seriously a fuss about writers and stories?

Comic companies hire writers based on the writer's background or because they have a good story pitch.
    The writer comes up with the story. Editorial sometimes will try to direct the story and the writer will either follow, talk editorial out of it, or leave.

Most of us know enough about the business to be able to find examples of all of these outcomes.