Page 191 of 287 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201241 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 4303
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think you're right, Ray. It goes back to the old newsstand days and it was sort of like the shelf life of that product. After that, they could send the unsold comics back to the distributor. After a while, it became too much of a hassle, and they would simply rip off the covers. That's why in those olden days of my youth, you would see comics bagged up for 3 for 25 cents or something....but without covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think you're right, Ray. It goes back to the old newsstand days and it was sort of like the shelf life of that product. After that, they could send the unsold comics back to the distributor. After a while, it became too much of a hassle, and they would simply rip off the covers. That's why in those olden days of my youth, you would see comics bagged up for 3 for 25 cents or something....but without covers.
    As well as the illegal 3/4 cover books where only the logo was sent back. It was high school before I actually found out why these were relatively common.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    As well as the illegal 3/4 cover books where only the logo was sent back. It was high school before I actually found out why these were relatively common.
    In my collection, I have a fair number of comics with the logos cut off from those long-lost days.

Alicia

By Sara Pichelli

Alicia! I like the more 'thin' look to her, it suits her. It's nice to have different body types in comics.

I'm just waiting for a sketch of Sue and Reed.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Sidebar: DC has yet another FF analogue, this time a re-imagining of Kirby's own Challengers of the Unknown.

https://screenrant.com/dc-unveils-tw...antastic-four/
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Sidebar: DC has yet another FF analogue, this time a re-imagining of Kirby's own Challengers of the Unknown.

https://screenrant.com/dc-unveils-tw...antastic-four/
    This analogy drives me nuts. The Challengers certainly had FF-style adventures pre-FF, but next to Rip Hunter's Time Masters, the Sea Devils, or even Cave Carson's crew, the Challs aren't as close to the other foursomes of a scientist, his GF, the scientist's brawny buddy, and the pesky kid who is sometimes the GF's brother.

"Competition breeds excellence"

With these FF analogues Marvel has to up their game with the team, they can't half-ass things. They have to show why the Fantastic Four are special, so hopefully this leads to great stories and the team treated as being just as important as the Avengers and X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    "Competition breeds excellence"

With these FF analogues Marvel has to up their game with the team, they can't half-ass things. They have to show why the Fantastic Four are special, so hopefully this leads to great stories and the team treated as being just as important as the Avengers and X-Men.
    The FF is a group of interesting personalities who need to be put experiences both mundane and extraordinary. I also hope this hiatus gave Marvel the opportunity to tweak and adjust this team to take the 21st century on.

Just finished the Englehart run on the title. Well, it was memorable, that's for sure, but maybe not in a good way. And last three-four issues were just a mess. Read that he had trouble with editors, but if he had a plan on doing those *dream* stories for real, glad he wasn't allowed.

Ms. Marvel started bleh, but I did like her later on, glad she had a mind for tech stuff. Reed and her could work well together.

That is, if she's around with #334+ and new writers.

BANNED

Fantastic Four #14 May 1963
    The Merciless Puppet Master
    The Puppet Master is declared healed and plans his revenge againt the Fantastic Four;

This time, he'll use the Sub-Mariner.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Dick Ayers

This story filled me with awe and wonder! I read this when I was around 12 years old and Marvel had started reprinting the earlier FF stories in "Marvel's Collector Item Classics" or some such title that also included early tales of Spider Man and others.

The moody and slightly scary colors and themes fascinated me. Even at 12 I knew that Reed and Sue were not married and that there was some attraction between her and Namor, as well as friction between Sue and the rest of the FF for her infatuation.

The main theme I've always taken from this part of "the story" is that they were worlds apart, Sue and Namor, but each wanted to be a part of that other world.

In some ways - and due to the times - and due to Kirby and Lee's own history as belonging to a persecuted people, these story aspects are almost a metaphor for

the Civil Rights era itself, when as a nation we still had not come to grips with diversity, different races, different cultures and beliefs.

But brave and noble persons tried to cross that divide. To me that is what is actually being told.

And Reed and Sue married in 1965, the year after the Civil Rights Act, signifying, perhaps too hopefully, that society had changed in regard to scary "others".

Maybe we should count all the times that Reed kept secrets from all of the team?

Did Sue know about the old college girlfriend? It was decades later we all discovered that.

Did anyone know that Reed knew that cosmic rays would affect them in outer space (FF vs X-Men, I believe)

Did anyone know that Reed had an untested 'gun' he would use to shut down Franklin's mind?

There are actually a few more of these, that show Sue and the others put up with far more secretiveness from Reed.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

August 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    August 1st
    Last I checked it moved to August 8th I think.
    Last edited by Crimz; 05-21-2018 at 02:12 PM.