Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman #58

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I googled some stuff, and it mentioned that Penny was Penguin's secretary in Gotham?
    The TV show? That would've been a weird reference (tehn again, so would the other one) .

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The TV show? That would've been a weird reference (tehn again, so would the other one) .
    I am reaching, cause I can't find any other references
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Did Penguin marry a bird or am I misreading?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Did Penguin marry a bird or am I misreading?
    How do you see that?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

How do you see that?
    Buried beside penguin as a wife. Last name Cobblepot.

"Small and silly." "Passed around from man to man." "Treated as though you were less than human." "They never even considered that maybe you had a soul."

All sound like apt descriptors of a bird to me.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

Buried beside penguin as a wife. Last name Cobblepot.

"Small and silly." "Passed around from man to man." "Treated as though you were less than human." "They never even considered that maybe you had a soul."

All sound like apt descriptors of a bird to me.
    Hmmm. That would be a really long lived bird, wouldn't it?

Hmmm. That would be a really long lived bird, wouldn't it?
    From a quick google, penguins can live up to 20 years in capitivty. Other birds like albatrosses can live to 30 or 40.

From a quick google, penguins can live up to 20 years in capitivty. Other birds like albatrosses can live to 30 or 40.
    Hmmm.

I feel like Penguin marrying a bird is a bit too weird?

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Hmmm.

I feel like Penguin marrying a bird is a bit too weird?
    Doesn't one of Penguin's goons also mention that her father was around asking for her?

Though I suppose her dad and the rest of her family could also be birds...

Mayhaps it's just part of a ruse Penguin has planned to fake his death in case his plans go south.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Doesn't one of Penguin's goons also mention that her father was around asking for her?

Mayhaps it's just part of a ruse Penguin has planned to fake his death in case his plans go south.
    I feel like it makes most sense for Penny to be his relatively recent, much younger wife. It makes the parallels between Batman and Catwoman stronger.

Incredible Member

Why do there have to be parallels between Batman and every one of his villians? That's just too ridiculous. Surely there are some out there that he fights that he has no commonalities with.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I actually enjoyed reading this issue. King's overall story has finally moved forward, and the twist at the end was very satisfying to me. I see references to The Button and the overall Rebirth story. I like that there seems to be a larger plan for this story.

However, I still think this is moving at way too slow a pace.

Two questions I have are:

1. Did Bane hire KGB Beast to shoot Dick? I think I missed that in one of the previous issues.
    2. Didn't we see the Flashpoint universe get destroyed in The Button? I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Why do there have to be parallels between Batman and every one of his villians? That's just too ridiculous. Surely there are some out there that he fights that he has no commonalities with.
    I believe that Batman's parallels with his villains are one of the reasons Batman is such a powerful moral, spiritual, and psychological symbolic figure that has lasted for so long. Those connections between him and his villains make the connection between our own struggles with our flaws stronger and more meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I actually enjoyed reading this issue. King's overall story has finally moved forward, and the twist at the end was very satisfying to me. I see references to The Button and the overall Rebirth story. I like that there seems to be a larger plan for this story.

However, I still think this is moving at way too slow a pace.

Two questions I have are:

1. Did Bane hire KGB Beast to shoot Dick? I think I missed that in one of the previous issues.
    2. Didn't we see the Flashpoint universe get destroyed in The Button? I can't remember.
    Agreed! I love Cold Days a lot, but The Better Man and Beasts of Burden were a bit of a step down for me. This first issue really hit home for me, emotionally and because it moved the plot forward.

KGBeast indicated last issue that he was hired, but Batman refused to help him and get the answer.

We did see the Flashpoint universe destroyed in the Button - but Flashpoint Batman was seen in Batman #50 at Bane's side. We don't have an explanation yet, but in The Button, they comment about how Flashpoint Batman's reality has been unnaturally preserved. I think that's part of what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post

I went back and checked and it said that the father was "causing problems in the bar" because he was "looking for her."

We saw from Heroes in Crisis #2 that there is indeed a penguin exhibit in the Iceberg Lounge. So I take this to mean that the father had wandered from its exhibit around the bar in search of Penny.

No one can knock me off this crackpot theory!

Spectacular Member

I went back and checked and it said that the father was "causing problems in the bar" because he was "looking for her."

We saw from Heroes in Crisis #2 that there is indeed a penguin exhibit in the Iceberg Lounge. So I take this to mean that the father had wandered from its exhibit around the bar in search of Penny.

No one can knock me off this crackpot theory!
    I don't think your theory is too crazy. I had to re-read the issue a few times to figure out what made sense more, Penny being a person, or Penny being a penguin. I feel that due to a lot of the vagueness of how Penny is discussed, she is indeed a penguin. If Penny is a person, it seems a bit extreme for her to be killed to give Cobblepot the message Bane needs to see him.