Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Batman #60, preview and discussion

What are your thoughts in today’s Batman?

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/...-of-batman-60/
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Only read the preview. So Batman's aware of the plot and it's moving so that's good.

I called it about Penny the Penguin.

Also, based on solicits we carry on to a new story about Master Bruce after this issue, so as is all too common in King’s run, the important and likely most interesting part of the issue to most readers may well be handled “off-panel.”
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I called it about Penny the Penguin.

Also, based on solicits we carry on to a new story about Master Bruce after this issue, so as is all too common in King’s run, the important and likely most interesting part of the issue to most readers may well be handled “off-panel.”
    But King has once before used false or overly vague solicitations to keep the readers in the dark. For example issue:

DC website:
    “A DREAM OF ME” part 1! Following his marriage proposal to Catwoman, Batman leaves Gotham City on a quest of renewal and redemption. As he travels and fights, he encounters members of his family—each disturbed by Batman’s journey, each ready to stand in his way, each ready to push back against Batman’s stubborn determination to evolve into something better than a superhero.

I too called Penny a penguin from square one, and I think is great that she is. Sure, there can still be a super weird twist coming up haha
    I loved this arc with Penguin, it moved the plot a lot and that cliffhanger was astounding. I wonder how this Batman/Gordon enmity is going to escalate.
    Nowadays, I trust a Batman solicitation as much as a trailer or interview by Hideo Kojima, and I say that in a good sense
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Serd View Post
    But King has once before used false or overly vague solicitations to keep the readers in the dark. For example issue:

DC website:
    “A DREAM OF ME” part 1! Following his marriage proposal to Catwoman, Batman leaves Gotham City on a quest of renewal and redemption. As he travels and fights, he encounters members of his family—each disturbed by Batman’s journey, each ready to stand in his way, each ready to push back against Batman’s stubborn determination to evolve into something better than a superhero.
    The fact that Travis Moore is back indicates to me that this probably is not a bait-and-switch.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    The fact that Travis Moore is back indicates to me that this probably is not a bait-and-switch.
    #61 is the Professor Pyg issue with Mitch Gerads, then the Master Bruce story with Travis Moore is #62, and then Mikel Janin who just did this issue is back in #63 with a Constantine story. I would not be surprised if one of those 3 solicits end up being purposefully misleading, or if they're real and we actually have to wait until #66 to see the see the end of this cliffhanger, at this point both are equally plausible outcomes. Or maybe it could even play into the Flash crossover, considering what happened in The Button.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

That last page! Holy gaucamole!!

This issue was pretty good. The new colorist really helped Janin’s art. Very interested to see where that cliffhanger goes.

Mighty Member

Gotta eat crow here, I was 100% wrong about Penguin in the last two issues.

But I'm curious how this is going to play out. Why is Thomas helping Bane? Looking forward to what's next.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Gotta eat crow here, I was 100% wrong about Penguin in the last two issues.

But I'm curious how this is going to play out. Why is Thomas helping Bane? Looking forward to what's next.
    I assume he wants Bruce to retire so he can be happy and is willing to work with Bane to make it happen.

I didn't like the other artist who worked on this issue. Had a real pulpy feel to it, but not nearly as nice as Janin's work, so it made for a poor contrast to me.

Was there ever any question that Penny was a bird? That is what I thought all along.

I didn't buy Gordons actions at the end of the issues, I know part of Bane's plan is driving a stake between Batman and Gordon, but given the history of Batman and Jim, I don't think he'd go that far yet.

Not happy they have Thomas inovled in this, mostly because I hate the multiverse and I prefer a more grounded Batman usually. But I am kind of interested to see what his reasoning is for being involved with Bane and why he would knowlingly be a pawn.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

This penguin arc has been really good and that cliffangher.... damn, I love this run!

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post

Was there ever any question that Penny was a bird? That is what I thought all along.
    Well the sheer ridiculousness of it made me think otherwise but no, apparently Penguin likes Birds SOOOOOO much he married one.

Jim honestly thinks he can beat up the Batman?

King just wanted to use that Bat man line, I bet.

The art is great. To me it looks and feels like if you merged all bat art into a computer algorithm, this is what would spit out of the printer,