Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Richard surviving the destruction of Xanadar and being the only space cop left in space? That's a good movie too. It's just a different kind of movie. Sam's first arc would make a decent film. Richard's first post-Annihilation arc would too. I think Richard has the more interesting setting and toys (Worldmind!), while Sam has the more interesting supporting cast.
    I think this gets at the heart of the problem with using Rich. His best stuff came after he had been well established as Nova. Sam has the better "drop in" origin story, especially since the Nova corps has already been destroyed.

The down side is that his story is also basically Star Kid, and that movie was dumb. Maybe if they kind of thrown Sam, Star Kid, and The Last Starfighter in a blender you come out with a pretty cool movie.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think this gets at the heart of the problem with using Rich. His best stuff came after he had been well established as Nova. Sam has the better "drop in" origin story, especially since the Nova corps has already been destroyed.

The down side is that his story is also basically Star Kid, and that movie was dumb. Maybe if they kind of thrown Sam, Star Kid, and The Last Starfighter in a blender you come out with a pretty cool movie.
    I think Thanos attacking Xanadar is actually perfect for setting Rich up. In fact I sorta expected to see a post-credits scene in Infinity War doing just that, where Rey, wounded after the fight with Thanos, tries to follow Thanos to earth but arrives too late for the action and deputizes Richard before dying.

You could easily combine Rich's origin with his post-Annihilation status quo; Dey deputizes him and Rich is now the last Nova. Or they could just gloss over Rich's origin and pick up with him after the battle of Xanadar. Fiege has talked about how they want to move away from standard origin stories; Incredible Hulk skipped it, Captain Marvel appears to be skipping it, etc.

Of course, Thanos' attack works for setting up Sam too, where his father maybe dies in the battle (or not) and Sam ends up with the helmet.

Bottom line, I think, is that both characters could work equally well. It just depends on what kind of movie Marvel wants.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Sam is really well designed for a tv show, actually. The daddy issues, the family drama......its got CW written all over it.

Richard feels better suited for film. His post-Annihilation status quo gave him a great "lone space sheriff" vibe that would translate to film easily.

If Marvel ever makes a Nova movie, they'll obviously borrow what they want from both characters and we'll see some fusion between them, just like we see with Parker having some of Miles' life and Carol serving in the Kree military instead of Mar-Vell. But exactly what will get borrowed, and who it'll be given to, will depend on the story Marvel wants to tell. Both Sam and Richard could carry a movie; it just depends on the kind of movie Marvel will want to tell with Nova.
    I was actually thinking more along the lines of there's less push back against minority led shows on TV than there is in theatrically released movies. Especially if it's a kids or family show. There's less producers going "Sam won't do well overseas." Or, "Sam is another case of forced diversity! Nova Soy Corp!"

the only thing keeping him off the big screen is the name. it would take the internet all of 2 seconds to savage a marvel hero named 'dick rider.' his creator should be smacked. because every other aspect of the character is live action hero ready.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    the only thing keeping him off the big screen is the name. it would take the internet all of 2 seconds to savage a marvel hero named 'dick rider.' his creator should be smacked. because every other aspect of the character is live action hero ready.
    That's Marv Wolfman for you. He admitted to loving punny names which is why Starfire's name is "Koriand'r."

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    That's Marv Wolfman for you. He admitted to loving punny names which is why Starfire's name is "Koriand'r."
    well there are plenty of them in the new warriors. I lost my innocence when I figured out why Speedball was a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    But he's never called Dick. It's always Rich, Richie, or Richard.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    But he's never called Dick. It's always Rich, Richie, or Richard.
    The internet doesn't care about that. If they make a movie with "Richard Rider" I give it a week before you get Nova themed "Adult Toys".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Well, have Nightwing adult toys started showing up because of the Titans show?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Not every character called "Dick" gets jokes about him, and anyway Dick Grayson has been so famous for so long that people are used to the name. But Nova is a character most non-comics-readers would be learning about for the first time, and has a name that lends itself, possibly intentionally, to puns.

It's sort of like how on Growing Pains they had a character whose nickname was "Boner" and then doubled down on the jokes by revealing that his real name was "Richard Stabone." People know that "Boner" means more than one thing, but by calling him "Richard" the writers were actively encouraging us to make puns.

The internet doesn't care about that. If they make a movie with "Richard Rider" I give it a week before you get Nova themed "Adult Toys".
    Those toys are going to be made no matter what. There are some hammers for sale out there that Thor never wielded, with handles that were never made by Groot.

I mean, come on, the Internet is going to be horrible no matter what. If a Nova gets made and they use Richard, then it's a bunch of dick jokes (which doesn't seem to have hurt Nightwing any). If it's Sam, then it's bitching because he's not white, not the original, not an adult, that he's too tied to earth and not space, blah blah blah.

None of these are reasons to not do something.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, have Nightwing adult toys started showing up because of the Titans show?
    Right? Thats the silliest reason for anyone to do anything. I doubt that will even come up for reasons not to use Rich.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Sam didn't catch on because a lot of people didn't like his constant whining. There's only so much stroppy teenager readers can take.

Rich being around longer easily has the richer story heritage.

Do I really need to explain the difference between Dick Grayson and Dick Rider?

I can't believe you guys think the only problem is the name Dick, rather than the fact that Nova looks like a d**do and his name is easily interpreted as Dick Rider.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 12-06-2018 at 04:19 PM.
    Pull List:

Do I really need to explain the difference between Dick Grayson and Dick Rider?
    Yes.

Seriously though, what's the worst thing that would happen? Some Internet comment sections go for the obvious, low-brow and stupid joke? Who gives a damn? It's not going to generate enough buzz to impact the movie, and even if it did this is Marvel; they have so much goodwill built up they can basically do whatever the hell they want and people will eat it up.

~ Black Panther.