Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius, A.K.A. "Doc Ock")

I know we currently have an appreciation thread for The Superior Spider-Man, but what about Otto in his early days, when he was known as Dr. Octopus?

from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 (1964)

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol. 1 No. 3 (March 1983)

Perhaps one of the most iconic Spider-Man villains of all time!
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 02-13-2019 at 10:03 AM.

I always thought they could bring back Doc Ock while keeping Superior Spider-Man by resurrecting his old body. You could even have the two argue who is the "real" Otto Octavius.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I always thought they could bring back Doc Ock while keeping Superior Spider-Man by resurrecting his old body. You could even have the two argue who is the "real" Otto Octavius.
    That probably isn't the most convoluted resurrection story for Doc Ock by this point .

A grand idea. I hope they do something like this eventually as I do greatly miss the original version of Ock.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Not impossible but let's remember that Ock passed through his own old, dead body as it was brought back to health by the Jackal's cloning technology before it turned to dust during the Clone Conspiracy and he jumped to the protoclone to become Superior Octopus. That's not to say you couldn't get a classic Doc Ock back out of that mess, it's comics after all, but it'd take a little doing to explain if he's facing against the Superior Spider-Man version of Ock.

Honestly, unless they're gonna raise the question of identity a bit more, it's probalby not worth overly dwelling on.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I personally don't want the old Ock to come back in terms of his original physical appearance. The round guy in a green suit just isn't very intimidating anymore, and I think that's why artists changed his clothes periodically (white suit, trenchcoat, etc.). Coming back with full memories and old personality is good, but to make him lean and young I think is the way to go.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    I personally don't want the old Ock to come back in terms of his original physical appearance. The round guy in a green suit just isn't very intimidating anymore, and I think that's why artists changed his clothes periodically (white suit, trenchcoat, etc.). Coming back with full memories and old personality is good, but to make him lean and young I think is the way to go.
    Here is an idea. How about he comes back as Superior Octopus?

BANNED

Coming back with full memories and old personality is good, but to make him lean and young I think is the way to go.
    Agreed noone ever.

Or, have him start out lean and young, but if he relies too much on the arms and doesn't actually exercise the other parts of his body, . . .
    well, there's always Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig.

Or maybe he has a more realistic but still recognizable build, like in the PS4 game.

Or maybe he has a more realistic but still recognizable build, like in the PS4 game.
    That could also work.

Mighty Member

Classic Ock has one of the more unique builds in comics... Not morbidly obese, but not a model either... I think kinda overweight is the best way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Classic Ock has one of the more unique builds in comics... Not morbidly obese, but not a model either... I think kinda overweight is the best way to go...
    I like Ock as a relatively normal and somewhat homely guy. I dislike that they made him handsome now that he's a protagonist. :P

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I could go for that. Superior Spider-Man is a concept I don't want to see fully dumped, so this could be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Agreed noone ever.
    I'm sorry, but this looks like Moleman with robo-arms:

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or, have him start out lean and young, but if he relies too much on the arms and doesn't actually exercise the other parts of his body, . . .
    well, there's always Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig.
    Actually, that's a pretty interesting idea. Force him to have to choose between either using his natural strength but losing his tentacle advantage, or using the tentacles all the time and atrophy.

Possibly, though I hope that they don't use the Ben Stein face.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Been done, but tainted thanks to that identity's ties to HYDRA in Secret Empire, though if Thor could be forgiven by the Avengers and the public . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.